Alternative "Practice"?

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
As a full time employee and a full time grad student (which often equates to being a part-time husband...just ask my wife) I have a hard time making time for getting my practice in at the archery range. Priorities, priorities, I know, but aside from that!

How are people / how can people get in some practice time if they can't get to a range and don't have a backyard they can shoot in?

Devices? Techniques? Exercises? Really appreciate any and all insights you may have.

Fall's almost here...!!!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Shoot from your couch into a block. Helps a lot just shooting a couple feet. Practice form, release, the whole 9 yards from the couch. If you get a chance on weekends to run the block out to an unpopulated area and shoot 50+ yards have at it. I've done a lot of shooting right in the living room though.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Good advise right there, if you need to stretch it out a little use your hallway. You really don't need yardage to practice form and build muscle memory. I had a bout with a form of TP and did nothing but shoot short range for quite a while.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Good advice, just be very sure of your target and have a good backstop because you probably don't want to shoot your neighbor through the wall.

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Shoot from your couch into a block. Helps a lot just shooting a couple feet. Practice form, release, the whole 9 yards from the couch. If you get a chance on weekends to run the block out to an unpopulated area and shoot 50+ yards have at it. I've done a lot of shooting right in the living room though.
Do you know if this have the potential to do any structural damage to the arrow over time? It seems like generating giant amounts of KE and then slamming it to a stop in 10 ft might do this, but I don't know science well enough to say that with confidence?

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
I shoot a lot in the garage, usually to work on my form, release, and follow through... When I do shoot for accuracy I use a tiny spot, under an inch. Haven't noticed it being hard on arrows, I've been working on the same 2 dozen for a few years now, but I check them frequently (flex and feel for cracks).

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
What kind of target do you use? I have had arrows pass thru my target at 20 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
What kind of target do you use? I have had arrows pass thru my target at 20 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A layered foam broadhead target lasts a long time with field points, plus the impacts haven't been continually in one small area. The arrows always protrude so there needs to be some back space and a hard backstop just in case.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
If you want to be super safe build your self a back stop 2x2frame and double plated 1/2" plywood one sheet applied to the front of frame and the other applied to the backside and leave a foot spaces before wall