all around caliber

Chase0621

Nov 27, 2016
Hawaii
sorry for going rogue! just to keep everyone posted I will be buying the rifle this weekend.

I'm trying to decide on what stock to put on.

1.) Monte Carlo (like a weatherby shape)
2.) Straight stock (normal rifle)
3.) Adjustable cheek stock

Is there a benefit of Monte Carlo or is it more for looks ?

What do you all prefer?

I'm trying to decide on what type of Bells and Carlson model to get

thanks for the help again

Chase

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It isn't what we prefer but it is what fits you when you bring the rifle up to your shoulder.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Monte Carlo raises your sight plane. Depends on how the stock is designed. If you have a scope that is mounted high (like to clear a 50mm objective lens) then it will probably help. A lot depends on the makeup of you body eg. short neck, long arms, etc.

I made custom stocks for 40 years and everyone is different. I have a B & C on my custom .300 Wby. I do like cheekpieces, but again, made to fit is the most comfortable. Attached is a stock of tiger stripe maple I made for myself. I started making stocks because I shoot lefty and I had a hard time finding something that fit.

Springfield 003.jpg220 Imp Swift with Chrono.jpg

The other one is my .220 AI Swift with a lefty thumbhole I made. Great varmint gun. I really don't care for thumbholes for hunting as they are awkward to me. I have to remove my thumb from the TH to work the safety, kinda slow too.

Chase0621

Nov 27, 2016
Hawaii
wow I'm really impressed those are excellent looking stocks.

I'm just going to go to cabelas and shoulder a weatherby stock and see if it feels better than a normal straight stock.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Way to many panties in a bunch.
Everyone is making valid points if you don't let prejiduce get in the way.
both old men have been grumpy in the past.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
wow I'm really impressed those are excellent looking stocks.

I'm just going to go to cabelas and shoulder a weatherby stock and see if it feels better than a normal straight stock.
If they don't have a Howa in stock check out the stock on the Weatherby Vanguard, it has a cheek piece so you can get the feel of it.

Not to mention that the Vanguard is made for Weatherby by Howa

Chase0621

Nov 27, 2016
Hawaii
howa norm.jpg

howa target.jpg

I narrowed it down to these two. I didn't like the weatherby style as much for fit.

I like the idea of adjustable cheek rest but my local gun store(s) didn't have any with adjustable check rest with a drop from where the barrel/action is to butt stock

That being said I know it is more personal preference but what your opinion on the target model with that big of a drop good or troublesome for hunting?

Thanks again for putting up with all my questions. I just want to make it as nice as possible and get my money worth out of it .

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Can you find a dealer that might have them in stock? If not, I'd call B & C and see if you can get the one you like and slip your action in and see how everything fits. If you don't like it ask then if you could exchange it for a different one.

Chase0621

Nov 27, 2016
Hawaii
I just got off the phone so my total weight with my scope,rings,etc. would be 9.5 pounds with the normal straight stock and 10.5 pounds with the adjustable stock.

Seems heavy 10.5 pounds for rifle but heck it is just pound difference

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Chase, I have a bell and Carlson sporter on both my A Bolt 300 wsm and Remington 700 7/08 and love them both!! For all practical purposes, you can’t go wrong.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
My 14 year old daughter shoots a 300 win and so does my wife. Put a muzzle brake on it and your good to go.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I’ve only had two calibers for the last 35 years up until last winter. 25-06 and .300 win mag. They did everything I needed them to do. My daughters are getting old enough that I plan on them elk hunting soon. The 25-06 is a little small for my taste for elk and the .300 would hurt them, they are small and that rifle kicks like a donkey. I bought a Kimber Hunter in .280AI to split the gap. It performs just shy of a 7mm mag without the recoil. They shoot it good and I’m pretty happy with it now that I have the bugs worked out. I don’t see that .300 getting used much anymore. The biggest downfall of the 280AI is it’s a hand load only rifle. Finding factory ammo is tough and what I did find didn’t shoot well. I have 120 cases now and have found a load that shoot sub MOA so I’m set.

Last edited:

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Oohhh, the 280AI is easy to like. But the lack of factory rounds hold a lot of people back, but reloading is what really let's this cartridge open up. Before getting a 280AI, I found myself packing 25/06 and 270 Winchester mostly. I do bow hunt for elk mostly though....

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The one nice thing about shooting a 280AI is that you can shoot 280 Remington through it if you want to shoot a factory round. Then you have a fire formed 280AI case ready to go.

I have found that when fire forming a case such as this that you don't loose that much if anything by shooting a factory round in the larger chamber. Anymore I when I do my fire forming for my 7-30 Waters I load them with the same load as I do my hunting loads and they are just as accurate out of my Contender.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I haven't had a chance to check on my 280AI yet, but on my 30/06 Ackley I have been able to shoot factory with very similar results to my reloaded ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Millsworks

Nov 23, 2017
Augusta, West Virginia
A person's skill level will dictate the best all around caliber for him or her.
I feel there isn't possibly a more versatile caliber than the .300 win mag if you reload and can either brake the barrel, or handle the recoil to shoot it well.
Others ,and probably most are better off with the good old long tested 30-06.
As I age and possibly lose some resilience, I might be happier and perform better with a good old 06' myself.
Some better stay with a .243.

That is one good reason we have so many calibers to choose from.
Other than the obvious want for something else just cause we can.

Last edited:

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
few things... 6.5 creed and 7mm-08 have higher sectional densities than 270 and 30 calibers and are plenty for whitetails etc...

If you're currently hunting whitetails, and may hunt mulies and antelope...hard to beat a 270win, or 280rem IMO.

Also if you're hunting whitetails, mulies, antelope, and may eventually hunt an ELK, a 270win. can get the job done, and/or by then you can pick up a magnum, like a 7mm Rem, 300wsm, win mag, 338win.mag etc...

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
12 gauge. You can hunt small game with 2 3/4" 8 shot, kill a grizzly with a 350 grain slug, and everything in between. No other gun has that versatility.