Alaska 2019

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We are going over to Seward next week for a cruise around the glaciers. Probably heading back to Homer after our clamming trip tomorrow. Yesterday found a great shop that does antler carving and scrimshaw, the guy is really talented. Bought an antler carving out of moose. I'll take a picture and post it later.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
That's it.
One of the scariest boat rides of my life was on that lake. I hiked my clients out after taking them down the canyon, the lake was to rough and then had to go down and get the boat across. I kissed the boat ramp when I got there. ahh the memories!

the kenai peninsula is a kick ass place.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Here's Roger doing battle with a halibut, and me with the King I caught! A really fun day!

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
2019-6-6 Alaska 014.jpg2019-6-6 Alaska 017.jpg2019-6-6 Alaska 034.jpg2019-6-6 Alaska 019.jpg
We went clamming yesterday as we had a -4' tide. Went about 25 miles across the bay to some big tidal flats. Lots of clams, but they are hard to dig. When you start digging, they also start to dig deeper in the sand. Worked my 77 year old butt off! Lots of good eating. Scenery was absolutely stunning!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Dang!

That looks like the time I left the boat high and dry in Alaska on our bear hunt when we went after a bear on our last day there and while we were gone the tide went out and we didn't have a drop of water within 4 miles of the boat. Literally.

My wife wasn't in the mood for Clamming...

It was a late night getting back to camp and more of an exciting boat ride than I anticipated.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Went to the processor yesterday to check on my halibut & clams. They weighed everything and it looks like I have 3# left to fill the box. I found some great prawns that we put in a basket and on the BBQ grill that were to die for. So Monday I'll buy 3# of them to round out the box. Gonna be some great eating when we get it all home to Colorado.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Did I hear you say that there is going to be a welcome home BBQ at your place in a couple of weeks?

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
CC I'm curious as to how much Halibut and clams weight-wise you are shipping home and how much would it cost?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
All of the processors are set up to pack in insulated boxes. They vacume pack and freeze everything. The boxes are designed to hold 50# and meet "excess baggage" requirements. Alaska Airlines charges $25. They say it will keep the contents frozen for 24 to 36 hours. I also made sure the motels we are staying at before & after the flight can store my frozen stuff.

We brought a duffle bag with boots, rain gear and heavy jackets as excess baggage on the flight up. I am going to the UPS store next and have it packaged and shipped home UPS. That frees up my excess baggage allotment.

Last edited:

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
All of the processors are set up to pack in insulated boxes. They vacume pack and freeze everything. The boxes are designed to hold 50# and meet "excess baggage" requirements. Alaska Airlines charges $25. They say it will keep the contents frozen for 24 to 36 hours. I also made sure the motels we are staying at before & after the flight can store my frozen stuff.

We brought a duffle bag with boots, rain gear and heavy jackets as excess baggage on the flight up. I am going to the UPS store next and have it packaged and shipped home UPS. That frees up my excess baggage allotment.
I was going to ups a 50lb duffel from fairbanks last year thinking it would be cheaper than the $150 3rd bag fee delta wanted. Ups wanted $260

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Tonight is the last night on the Kenai as we leave in the morning for Anchorage and fly home on Saturday. It has been a glorious 27 days. Seen some spectacular country, caught some fish and saw lots of wildlife. Made some new friends and want to come back to see more. It is addicting.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Tonight is the last night on the Kenai as we leave in the morning for Anchorage and fly home on Saturday. It has been a glorious 27 days. Seen some spectacular country, caught some fish and saw lots of wildlife. Made some new friends and want to come back to see more. It is addicting.
Congrats Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk