alarm clock

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Might be a silly question but for those of you how hike into or close to a bedding area, what do you use to wake you in the morning without spooking game?
I have an alarm that you can select or download nature sounds. I like the bull elk bugle... My phone also has this. If set on airplane mode, it will last about a week before the battery runs down.

Laddy

Nov 19, 2013
Idaho
My wrist watch suspended from the ridge of my tent with a piece of 550 para.....it's about a foot from my face, so if I don't get up, it's not my watches fault. It's also right where i keep my headlamp.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
I use my Garmin Montana 650T. After I set the alarm it has an option to shut the unit off and turn automatically back on at the set alarm time to save battery life.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I have a old cell phone that's real small that's not used anymore. Put it on airplane mode and keep the volume down just enough for me to hear.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I was on a backpack hunting trip with another guy, and he was supposed to bring an alarm. We were up on the mt. and I asked him if he set the alarm, and he told me "What time do you want to get up? I'll just wake up." Well, I thought he was nuts.....but it worked all week. Somehow, I am now able to do the same thing. I can't keep track of the time while awake, but somehow can do so while unconscious. It's must be natures way of compensating as I am nearly deaf, and it would take a smoke alarm or a Big Ben to wake me up otherwise.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
You can always go old school and drink a bunch of water before crawling into your bag. Not exact, but it will wake you up, or at least I'd hope it does...

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I try to sleep in a spot where the elk screaming their heads off wake me up haha
I had that some years ago in New Mexico but they where screaming all night and I didn't get any sleep. At one point I thought the tent was going to get stepped on!!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I had that some years ago in New Mexico but they where screaming all night and I didn't get any sleep. At one point I thought the tent was going to get stepped on!!
man, this last fall I set my spike camp up near a ridge where this nice bull was coming out right at dark every night, I was a ridge over. I tried some calling that eve but notta, as soon as I crawled into my one manner I hear a scream right there, had to have been less than 50 from me. so I just laid there listening and before to long there was several bulls around the tent. I kept thinking they are gonna catch my scent and run like hell but they never did, got kind of scary there a few times I could hear them walking they were so close. wished like hell my camera was in tent with me and not in pack outside of tent so I could've recorded them screaming.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
man, this last fall I set my spike camp up near a ridge where this nice bull was coming out right at dark every night, I was a ridge over. I tried some calling that eve but notta, as soon as I crawled into my one manner I hear a scream right there, had to have been less than 50 from me. so I just laid there listening and before to long there was several bulls around the tent. I kept thinking they are gonna catch my scent and run like hell but they never did, got kind of scary there a few times I could hear them walking they were so close. wished like hell my camera was in tent with me and not in pack outside of tent so I could've recorded them screaming.
Daaaam, that would be exciting!!!

I tried to use my GPS, epic fail! Went dead by morning!!

MOhunter28

Dec 30, 2015
Branson, Missouri
usually if I'm backpacking I'm either too excited to sleep and wake up early anyway or I'm not sleeping well cause lets face it your in a sent in a sleeping bag on the ground lol