AK Spring Grizzly

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I was finally able to take advantage of an opportunity to hunt Interior Grizzly, thanks to an old childhood friend and my brother-in-law who both live in AK now. He wasn't the biggest boy in the woods, but I'm super happy with his color and hair quality. At the fish and game check-in they guessed him at 5 or 6 years old. I'll check in with them later to get the final age data. The hunt went perfect and I actually passed the first bear we saw and also had an opportunity to film another young boar after I had taken mine. It was a great trip and as always I can't wait to get back.27598

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
We guessed him to be about 7.5'. What is so amazing is how thick and wide their head and body are compared to the black bears I've killed. They are such an impressive animal and I feel really lucky for the opportunities I have had in AK . I was also able to tag out on a nice black bear boar. Every time I get up there it's an incredible adventure.
We spent the last day flying around in my brother-in-laws plane and saw some amazing views of the glaciers, as well as, a bunch of moose.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have sat here jealous of you, that is a great bear.

I had a chance up in BC and only saw one grizzly in 10 days and he was a little too far away for a shot. That was my chance at one, that is unless I hit the lotto.

Reactions: gonhunting247

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks everyone! This was a hunt that I've been wanting to do for a long time and it sure was worth the wait. This was a hunt my Dad always wanted to experience, but unfortunately he passed away before he had the opportunity. I dug his model 70 .338 that was handed down to me, out of the safe. I thought it was only right to use it on this trip. It worked flawlessly, as both the Grizzly and my Black Bear never took another step after the first shot.

Reactions: AKaviator and JimP