AK Fishing

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Anyone go to AK and use lodges?

since Ive got no hunts for 2024, want to go to AK for halibut, salmon, and some scenics.

would love some suggestions - not wanting to do this blind. Thanks.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Not sure if you’d be interested in BC, Look at High Seas Outfitters. Its a mothership operation. I hunted with one of the owners before they started this operation. Great guy and very hardworking!

Reactions: Rich M

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ll be following this thread. I want to do the same soon with the wife and a couple buddies and their lady’s

Ill take a look at BC

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Think we’re gonna be “stuck” with AK, not sure Canada will let us in with their covid rules. Shame, BC is beautiful.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
If Sitka would work for you then I can recommend Angling Unlimited. We have gone there for the last 8 years and have had great fishing. We go toward the end of August as the silvers are in at that time.
We normally get limits of salmon everyday and of course halibut are easy to come by. If you want they will usally stop and get a limit of rock fish with the occasional ling cod.
Check out their web site and if you have questions let me know.

Reactions: Rich M and Slugz

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

Based on the Kenaii out of Cooper Landing. You can add on halibut and silvers out of Seward.
If you end up going to the Kenai area, I can recommend a great VRBO spot we spent a month at in 2019.

Reactions: Slugz and Rich M

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho

Based on the Kenaii out of Cooper Landing. You can add on halibut and silvers out of Seward.
Blast from the past, I lived in cooper landing in the early 90's and worked just down the road from them.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Every time I do this it always hits the same point with the final costs - Last time I looked (pre-covid) was about 1/2 the current price.

Hitting the $10-$15K bracket - with middle of the road lodge prices, first class airfare as promised to wife, and proposed vehicle rental, taxes, tips. Too much for right now.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Every time I do this it always hits the same point with the final costs - Last time I looked (pre-covid) was about 1/2 the current price.

Hitting the $10-$15K bracket - with middle of the road lodge prices, first class airfare as promised to wife, and proposed vehicle rental, taxes, tips. Too much for right now.
High Seas Outfitters not sure on pricing, but I think around $6500?

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Angling Unlimited in Sitka is about $3000. per person for 3 days of fishing. It includes lodging and a vehicle to use while you are there but keep in mind there are only about 15 miles of roads. They do provide breakfast to be prepared by you and of course lunch on the boat.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Angling Unlimited in Sitka is about $3000. per person for 3 days of fishing. It includes lodging and a vehicle to use while you are there but keep in mind there are only about 15 miles of roads. They do provide breakfast to be prepared by you and of course lunch on the boat.
I looked at them and a nice setup, great reviews and many referrals.

Still gets us into the $10+K bracket for 3 days of fishing - mainly due to paying for 2 folks.

Reactions: minn elk chaser

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
When we first started going there it cost us a little over 2k per person but with covid and the fuel prices everything is higher. They are probably about as cheap as anyone when you consider what they provide. You could do like we did a couple of times, we flew to Anchorage and then rented a motor home and drove to different places to fish. If you do that I have a couple of names of people we used that were very good. You can book day trips or actually fish on your own if you want. Good way to see more of Alaska that way.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Wife is now talking about an AK trip... So, it is back on the burner.

I was looking at renting a 40 ft yatch and it came down to not wanting to limit myself. It would have been cheaper and a neat trip, but we'da been stuck in one place in SE AK and there wasn't any snow on the mtns in the backgrounds of the pictures.

Liking the idea of catching halibut and salmon, maybe get a grayling and a dolly varden would be nice too. Want to see the glaciers calve, the whales and sea life. Take the train thru the mountains. and maybe do a fly-in fishing with the bears. A sub-glacier hike would be neat too - walk underneath it.

Not excited about denali or gold mining or sled dogs. Can care less about going looking for land animals. I grew up around moose and black bears...