AK. Bound!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
It’s official!
I just purchased a one-way ticket from the local airport in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania to Kotzebue Alaska for my September caribou hunt.
Alaska Air was running a 30% discount on any travel completed prior to August 31. Big savings on the outbound flight. I will now watch for discounts and sales in January for a return flight in September after my hunt.

$240 🥳🥳 Can’t beat that!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If your luck runs the way that mine usually does the return trip will cost more than the original round trip ticket would.

But at least you are in the process of getting up there to go chase some caribou...

Reactions: marcusvdk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
There was no cost advantage to booking the return flight today. Based on everything I saw whether I included as a round-trip or book the return flight separate it runs about $600. I’m hoping that this number will be reduced in January but I doubt it will rise in the next 30-45 days. At least that’s what I’m hoping for -LOL.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Bill, at least you're headed in the right direction. I'm jealous, but deferred trying for an Alaska hunt this year due to my scheduled canoe trip in NW Territory in August. I can't even think about booking airline tickets yet until we find out if/when Canada opens up again.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Bill, at least you're headed in the right direction. I'm jealous, but deferred trying for an Alaska hunt this year due to my scheduled canoe trip in NW Territory in August. I can't even think about booking airline tickets yet until we find out if/when Canada opens up again.
Understood. I’m trying to be hopeful.
That canoe trip sounds pretty exciting!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am pretty optimistic Canada will open up soon. the vaccine is being distributed and with our elections over the need for media hype/fear mongering is over ,for a short time.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I agree. Between the election being over and the vaccine being distributed in addition to me having another eight months until I fly out I think I should be fine to fly into Alaska. But if next year is anything like this year, anything goes

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Thats awesome Bill im as excited as you just to see the story and pics. Are you bring the video camera to? Or you skipping the extra wait?

Im hoping to get into Canada for my September trip but we shall see im hoping the vaccine is not a requirement to get in of the boarder opening. My dad and brother informed me today they refuse to get the vaccine so that would also prevent our trip. But hope as the vaccine and herd immunity builds thing will just come down to a negative test result before entry

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thats awesome Bill im as excited as you just to see the story and pics. Are you bring the video camera to? Or you skipping the extra wait?

Im hoping to get into Canada for my September trip but we shall see im hoping the vaccine is not a requirement to get in of the boarder opening. My dad and brother informed me today they refuse to get the vaccine so that would also prevent our trip. But hope as the vaccine and herd immunity builds thing will just come down to a negative test result before entry
Hopefully things get back to the new normal as there will never be an old normal next year. I’m hoping we can all get back out and enjoy the things we love including hunting. I will definitely be taking the video and producing another one of my films surrounding the hunt. I can’t wait!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota

We'll just have to wait and see, but I expect Canada to be pretty aggressive about this and would almost bet on the vaccine requirement. I know of a band member of the Grand Portage reservation (on the US side) who has been unable to see his family on the Canada side for over 8 months).

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I hunted caribou out Kotz last year. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck, I loved it and will go back.

Reactions: Slugz

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
do your self a little favor, research the area. Learn the major rivers, major way of economy, major ways of life. Most of the locals will not be your friend or even give a rats ass about you. If you actually know a little bit about the area, you will have an easier time in the bush villages.

I had an older native lady bitching about the out of state hunters, she asked me a simple question, "you don't even know the name of the river going by the village" i told her the name and spelled it out, she proceeded to think we where ok then. Don't be the guy who looks down on the locals, most will be poor by your standard, but not by there standard. Also, be prepared for the price of goods and services there. Also, make sure if alchohol is or is not allowed in the village.