Africa Lion Hunt Next Level

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
This is being discussed at length over on a African hunting forum that I am on. The big thing is that they are saying that both the hunter and PH should of backed out of there and let the lion settle down. Another thing that they observed is that the lion was chewing on a stick which most think is because the lion is hungry.

It comes down to the fact that the hunter should of never taken that shot with the crossbow and that the PH did his job protecting the hunter, and himself along with the trackers who were involved in the hunt.

I haven't read if that lion was a captive bred lion that was let out of his enclosure to be hunted yet, but the consensus among most of the lion hunters on the forum is that he was due to the condition of his mane and other things.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll wager that it was a canned lion hunt from a captive bred lion. They release the lion a couple of days before the hunt to make it as real as possible.

The PH's problem was not backing out to let the lion relax some before getting close to the lion. The hunters problem was using a crossbow in a situation where you are going to be in very close quarters with something than can do some major harm to your body.

It is also quite possible that the PH has been place in this type of situation before on this type of hunt. Notice that the PH used a double barrel rifle instead of a bolt action one, two very quick shots and he waited until the lion was close enough to put it down.

If any of you have had the opportunity to talk to a PH who does dangerous game hunts you will find that they are as cool as a iceberg in January, just the type of person that you want next to you when all goes to hell in a hand basket.

This is the type of video that should never be posted on YouTube

Reactions: Maxhunter

okie archer

Feb 5, 2015
Coweta, Oklahoma
I have no problem with lion hunting at all. Not a fan of canned hunts either. However my biggest problem with this is the dead lion being pictured with the crossbow. Would the lion have died from just the xbow shot? Maybe who knows? But without the gun the hunter likely would have been killed even if the xbow shot was fatal. Seems kinda lame to me.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Looks like a kill bow shot. If the brush wasnt there the cat would have run to the left.

I counted 3 shots from PH. He waited on the last one, cat looked like it was gonna run by him tho.