Advice for new .22 pistol

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I am looking at buying a .22 semi auto pistol. I want something light that I can put in a jacket pocket when checking traps mainly for dispatching coyotes. I have been thinking about the Walther P22 and Glock 44. I know Taurus also makes one. Anyone with experience with any of these I would appreciate any feedback.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
I have only had experience with the walther out of the ones you
Listed. It's a fantastic little pistol that feels great and super reliable. But accuracy is not its strong point by any means if that matters to you.

Reactions: dan maule

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'm really enjoying my Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite. It's very accurate, very lite, looks good, and works well. The only thing it's not great at is dealing with subsonics or light loads. Aguila's, CCI Quiet, and others won't cycle it well. The CCI copper worked about 50%, everything else stovepiped on me. Regular 22LR rounds work great. It comes with a threaded barrel so if you don't mind the paperwork hassle it's easy to suppress. IMO that's a better option than subsonics anyway.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I'm really enjoying my Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite. It's very accurate, very lite, looks good, and works well. The only thing it's not great at is dealing with subsonics or light loads. Aguila's, CCI Quiet, and others won't cycle it well. The CCI copper worked about 50%, everything else stovepiped on me. Regular 22LR rounds work great. It comes with a threaded barrel so if you don't mind the paperwork hassle it's easy to suppress. IMO that's a better option than subsonics anyway.
Thank you! I will have to look into that one as well.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have been through a pile of them MarkII's, Walthers, Sig's, M&P's., and then there is the Browning 1911-22.

To me, there is only one worth buying.

Expensive? Kinda.
Accurate? Check
Easy to clean? Check
Reliable? Double check
Worth it? 100% yes.

My only regret is that they dont make this in 9MM. I would pay a lot of money for one of these in 9mm. I might even buy 2. I would get the 380 but I have so many cast 9MM bullets that I just cant do it. Well that and I dont have a .380 setup for my progressive press. I may bite the bullet and get one someday. The .380 just never really interested me.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I had a Mark II Target SS that was faulty from the factory and would fire one time and not fire again. I sent it back to Ruger and they had it for a 2 months and sent it back and the trigger made a click every time you shot it right before the gun goes off.

The LC9 is trash as well.

These are not my only dealings with Ruger pistols (Or rifles for that matter) and IMHO Ruger pistols are garbage and their customer service sucks.. But Opinions are like, well you know..

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Thanks everyone, I am hoping to get one that will fit in a pocket. I do not want a holster as when checking traps I am in and out of the water and would like to keep it as dry as possible.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have both semi-autos and revolvers and IMO you might not be real happy with a SA. In a pocket without a holster is not a real good environment for a SA. It collects lint and can get gummed up. I would prefer a wheel gun. Makes no difference in the type of ammo you feed it and will be very reliable. Just my take.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have owned a variety of .22 pistols thru the years, including a Ruger Mark I , Erma Luger, Ruger Single Six, and a S&W M41. At present I still have the Single Six revolver as it is my wife's and she won't let me sell it, plus the magnum cylinder is a nice switch-out. I love the M41, but it is a target pistol and weighs 2 1/2#, so I wanted something lighter for small game hunting. After reading a write-up in Guns & Ammo on the Taurus TX-22, I went out and got one. It isn't a small gun, but at 1# 1 oz. ; it comes with two 16 round mags, is 100% reliable, and is accurate as any other .22 pistol that I have shot except for the M41.
However, if all you are looking for is 3' accuracy, then I suggest that you can save the $ and just use a stick.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They are not automatics but they are built for a pocket.

Check out any of the North American Arms 22Lr's and 22 magnums. They even have one that the grip folds with a belt clip on it. You can also get some with extra cylinders so you can shoot both 22lr's and 22 magnums.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My buddy has one of these ^^^. Its freaking sweet!

The trigger pull is a bit stiff and the .22 magnum is super loud though.

Other than that its great and would work perfectly for trapping.

Of ya its SS too...which is nice.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Sticking animals cracks the skulls and sometimes makes them a pain to skin out. But I have given many a coon the stick treatment over the years. Even had one coon come back to life in the trunk of a camaro one time...which got a little "Western"

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Sticking animals cracks the skulls and sometimes makes them a pain to skin out. But I have given many a coon the stick treatment over the years. Even had one coon come back to life in the trunk of a camaro one time...which got a little "Western"
What were you doing in the trunk with him?

Not to get side tracked but my brother in law had a deer come back to life in the trunk of his car. He shot it just before dark and decided to clean it when he got home. Talk about a rodeo when he opened up that car trunk.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
What were you doing in the trunk with him?

Not to get side tracked but my brother in law had a deer come back to life in the trunk of his car. He shot it just before dark and decided to clean it when he got home. Talk about a rodeo when he opened up that car trunk.
When I started trapping ~10 years old we would never shoot an animal in a trap because we did not want to put a hole in it. So I would typically take the barrel off of my single shot 20 ga that I carried and use it as a club. Some coons can take quite a beating, had and interesting event with a coyote coming back to life in the back of a pickup truck. I lost the stomach for it and most of the trappers I knew where using .22s so I started doing it too. Quite a bit less messy when skinning than clubbing.
My first thought was a nice compact revolver but they are kind of pricey from what I've seen. The single six and similar full size revolvers are bigger than I was hoping.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Dan I use the ruger wrangler it fits nicely in my coat pocket. I do wear a heavy Carhart ranch chore coat tho
Thank for the information! I have not handled one of those yet. I was thinking it was bigger, I will have to check that one out too. This is why I posed the question, there are so many out there and where I live I cannot go to a single store and check them all out at one time.
I really appreciate everyone's input!

rjroberts15

Jun 8, 2016
CA
I have the walther p-22, i like the size, but don't like how the barrel is attached to the frame. It makes breaking it down to clean it cumbersome.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I have a s&w auto. If I was in the market for another I would pick up a ruger. I have shot many of them and the ruger is my favorite.