Advice for new .22 pistol

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I think there's a lot to be said for experience when it comes to firearms. When you make hundreds of something vs millions, the one that makes a million of them is just going to have it down a little smoother. I have a Ruger 10/22, a 22/45 Lilte, and Super Redhawk 44mag, and they're all as smooth as butter. With good ammo, they're near 100% reliability for me with factory ammo, and the accuracy is what they claim in the brochures. Honestly, I bet this will cause some shock-and-awe in this crowd, but I'd EASILY reach for one of my Rugers over my Glock. I don't know, I just trust them more. It's not an American thing. It's an experience thing. In my hand, I just shoot better with them.

My opinions are worth what you paid for them.

All I want from a firearm is 99% or higher reliability, and accuracy better than my shooting skill. A nice holster is a big plus.

Reactions: memtb and dan maule

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I think there's a lot to be said for experience when it comes to firearms. When you make hundreds of something vs millions, the one that makes a million of them is just going to have it down a little smoother. I have a Ruger 10/22, a 22/45 Lilte, and Super Redhawk 44mag, and they're all as smooth as butter. With good ammo, they're near 100% reliability for me with factory ammo, and the accuracy is what they claim in the brochures. Honestly, I bet this will cause some shock-and-awe in this crowd, but I'd EASILY reach for one of my Rugers over my Glock. I don't know, I just trust them more. It's not an American thing. It's an experience thing. In my hand, I just shoot better with them.

My opinions are worth what you paid for them.

All I want from a firearm is 99% or higher reliability, and accuracy better than my shooting skill. A nice holster is a big plus.
I've been using a stainless steal Ruger 10/22 for trapping for about 20 years. As you said I am amazed at it's reliability. During trapping season I do not take as good of care for it as I should but I have NEVER had it jam or misfire, it has never let me down. I shoot cheap ammo through it and it just keeps going. I have always been into long guns in a big way but have not gotten into pistols until recently. I finally took the time to get my concealed weapons permit and I am trying to educate myself on all of different handguns on the market.

Reactions: memtb

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Sticking animals cracks the skulls and sometimes makes them a pain to skin out. But I have given many a coon the stick treatment over the years. Even had one coon come back to life in the trunk of a camaro one time...which got a little "Western"
lol . once had that happen with a badger in the trunk of my parents Cadillac. probably enough time has elapsed to tell them that story now. then again, maybe what happened in the 70s should stay in the 70s:LOL:

Reactions: dan maule

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
a kid at work had a turkey come alive multiple times in his blazer. the last act of the turkey was spraying blood all over the inside of the blazer, when the kid cut the head off of the live turkey.
hearing this funny man tell the story is awesome. it came back to life 3 times.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Call me a fan boy...but here is one to consider....

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
a kid at work had a turkey come alive multiple times in his blazer. the last act of the turkey was spraying blood all over the inside of the blazer, when the kid cut the head off of the live turkey.
hearing this funny man tell the story is awesome. it came back to life 3 times.
When the coyote came back to life in the back of the pickup truck it latched onto my brothers knee cap. Ruined a perfectly good pair of waders, and he broke a paddle trying to finish it off. We had many crazy stories like that which is why I now use a .22!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Well, I stopped at a few gun shops again today and all of the pistols are flying off the shelves so I decided I couldn't sit around debating this any longer. I picked up a Walther P22, ran about 100 rounds through it this afternoon and so far I am really happy with my choice. Surprised by it's accuracy, I was consistently hitting the water bottle I was shooting at 25 yards.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on this thread!