Accomplished Hunter.....

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Saw the phrase on another thread and didn't want to derail it (worse). So the questions are:

What requirements need to be met to be upgraded to accomplished hunter status?

What does the phrase mean to you?

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Not a lot to me. Could mean anything! I'd look at it as that you accomplished you goal as a hunter to a certain point in your life.

I.E. - I'm an accomplished deer hunter since I killed a deer once. or I'm an accomplished deer hunter since I kill 140+ inch bucks every year.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Interesting question. To me an accomplished hunter is one that can more often than not succeed in their hunts even in new areas. They can set out and piece together what they need to do on the fly and while even the best hunters can get skunked, they will always FIND game and whether or not they get a shot might be a different story...too many variables.

Its having the patience and knowledge to shoot a big bull or buck but is just as competent and happy shooting geese or cottontails. I think a truely accomplished hunter is also one that can use many methods to take game; bow, trapping, gun, etc...and one that is always willing to adapt and try something new.

I will also add that I am not an accomplished hunter. I still have a lot of time to spend in the woods with my bow and still have a ton to learn.

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
To answer this question, one must first define their objectives which will obviously vary greatly. For me, my number 1 objective on every hunt is to return safely to my family. Because I am typing this today, I consider myself accomplished by that standard. I would next love to put meat in the freezer without compromising my ethics. Sometimes I am able to harvest, other time not.

IMO accomplished is much more than a body count.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
I agree it can mean a lot of things. I would consider it being well rounded to some degree. Though, some of my hunting friends are amazing at one thing, like bow hunting white tails and are about as "accomplished" as one could be in that regard, but could find their backside with both hands when it came to waterfowling. So I would say someone could be an "accomplished deer hunter" or "elk hunter" or "big/small game hunter", or even "western hunter". There are very few people out there who could go to any continent and chase any game be it birds or ungulates or crocodiles and know the animals/habitat as well as an individual with years of experience and success in that setting.

I would then agree that most hunters accomplished in one area have a significantly shorter learning curve in another area similar to their area of expertise than a novice, but perhaps less so than an area far different from theirs. For example a accomplished deer hunter from the northeast will have an easier time adapting to mule deer or elk in Wyoming than an accomplished alligator hunter from LA. Yet neither are accomplished elk/mule deer hunters.

I will say though if you want to call yourself an accomplished hunter, you should know how to care for and break down game, not just gut it, throw it in the truck and take it to the butcher. Similar for equipment skills. An accomplished rifle hunter doesn't have cabelas mount their scope for them or have unkept gear. Again, my opinion.

I will say what has made me feel the most accomplished and like a woodsman is learning to trap. It has made my attention to detail in the woods and in animal behavior significantly magnified than prior to picking it up.

Interesting thread and I agree it's not heads on the wall. To me, it's who would you feel lucky to be in a survival situation with where woodsman ship and hunting would be important.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Not sure either, is it that you've hunted and fished enough over the years to be an ethical hunter and sportsman. Or is it because you've learned to pass down your knowledge to your children or others children you are around. Personally I feel it's our duty to pass our knowledge of the woods, streams, lakes and the ocean to others about what e believe in. My thoughts!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Accomplish....

Set a goal and do it to the finish. Does that mean I have to fill my tag, my limit or my freezer every time? I think not. If my goal is to get out in the mountains, have a wonderful time, be safe and return home, then I've accomplished what I set out to do. If my goal is to bag something every time I go, then I might not fulfill that goal all the time. I might see animals every time, but choose not to shoot one. Did I fail to accomplish my goal, I think not. Someone who is a road hunter and shoots a buck every year wouldn't define accomplished hunter to me.

To my way of thinking an accomplished hunter is one who thoroughly enjoys the experience, shares it with others, learns something new and is able to be safe in everything he does. The freezer filling is icing on the cake.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I think it's up to yourself/the hunter.

Personally I currently feel better/more accomplished than many hunters, yet still a world away from some "accomplished hunters" in my eyes.

Hopefully one day I'll be accomplished hunter in my own eyes, getting there, slowly!

I really want to complete the NA10, I think once I do that I should feel accomplished but still hungry for more/to keep hunting. I'd like to work towards the NA29 but I feel that takes some luck and some cash for some of those animals.

I tell ya taking a nice antelope DIY public land, was an accomplishment.

Take a whitetail buck with a bow was an accomplishment.

Arkus19

Dec 28, 2014
Utah
Coming from someone who is the farthest thing from an accomplished hunter Ill give my opinion to give a different point of view. To me an accomplished hunter is someone who can locate the animals they hunt for on a regular basis. Also they have to have success at actually harvesting animals. Third is someone who loves hunting and hunts as much as possible not the typical fair weather hunter that only hunts opening weekends. Again I'm the furthest thing from one Im just a sponge on here soaking all the info I can to make me better . :)

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Then why hunt? Why not save your money and just go for a hike instead?
I agree with the spirit of what CC said, but elk brings up a good point on the original questions. The more I think about it the more I believe this is really an interesting philisophical question.

In a world where meat can be bought from a store, what separates an accomplished outdoorsman from an accomplished hunter? In the old days it was really simple; if you ate protein you were accomplished, if you didn't, you weren't.

While as I said I would not consider myself an accomplished hunter, I do feel like I'm an accomplished outdoorsman in terms of being prepared to face the elements, start fires, get back to camp in the dark, etc...

I guess there are two ways to look at it; is it really just the experience and knowledge you gain in pursuit of hunting? or does body count/antlers on the wall have to count for at least half of what it means to be an accomplished HUNTER?

Last edited:

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
To me an accomplished hunter is someone who takes the time to not only get to know their equipment and limitations, but also to help other people who are new to the sport feel comfortable. They are a hunter who sets reasonable short and long term goals whether it would be harvesting a trophy animal, or helping someone else shoot their first buck. From a personal standpoint, being new to the sport of hunting and not being around parents who hunted, this industry can be intimidating and hard to get into sometimes. I've struggled in the past being a female, asking questions or help with reloading supplies or how to shoot long range and a few times getting criticized for even trying! New people in any sport need a support group of veteran outdoorsman who are willing to reach out and help. An accomplished hunter is humble and willing to reach out to other people in a respectable manner and someone who works hard for what they want. Nobody should ever feel nervous to reach out to someone who can help get them interested in our sport.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I would never call myself an accomplished hunter. It seems to me that if other hunters say that about you it's quite a compliment. If you say it about yourself it just seems arrogant and pompous.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
When you have to move because your house cannot accommodate your taxidermy collection, you qualify.

Building a separate "man cave" also qualifies you.

I'm almost there but my house is only 1400 square feet! Ha!