90/10 tag allocation

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I received an email from a outfitter today wanting me to donate to cause. Stated New Mexico has legislation to go to 90/10 tag allocation and do away with the outfitter pool. Current is 6% NR and 10% outfitter if I understand correct. This would be a big hit to the outfitters of NM. It is also a gain of 6% resident tag allocation. I guess it would also be a 4% increase for me as a nonresident as I do not plan on using a guide. What chance does this bill have of passing?
Oh if you donate $75.00 they offered to take $1,000.00 off guided Orx hunt.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
Of the current guided pool hunters that drew, how many of them were NM residents and how many were non-residents? You'd need those numbers in order to determine the net difference in resident and non-resident tags before/after the change. The hunters that want to use a guide are likely to still hire a guide, and they'll still be entering the draw - just not in a separate pool. So the non-resident pool will have a few more tags in it, but it will also have more applicants in it. Will the draw odds be better, worse, or same?

From the hunter's perspective, it may not be much different. It may or may not adversely affect the guides. Time will tell.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I would bet that the vast majority of the applicants in the guided pool are non-residents, this bill will make the non-residents odds decrease significantly (essentially a 37% drop in NR tag #’s) and give a very slight increase to residents. Guys who want to go guided will still be putting in on the 10% NR quota and it will drive up the prices of landowner vouchers to even more astronomical amounts. Not good at all if you’re a non-resident hunter, but NR’s don’t vote.

Reactions: Shane13

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Right now a DIY NR might as well not apply for a hunt code with a quota of less than 17 tags. If this goes through, that number would change to 10, opening up quite a few more opportunities.

I don't know that our overall draw odds would be improved much, but it seems to me to be a win for both residents and DIY nonresidents. Losers would be outfitters and rich clients.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Right now a DIY NR might as well not apply for a hunt code with a quota of less than 17 tags. If this goes through, that number would change to 10, opening up quite a few more opportunities.

I don't know that our overall draw odds would be improved much, but it seems to me to be a win for both residents and DIY nonresidents. Losers would be outfitters and rich clients.
Unless NM adds more hunt dates or codes, but that was my thinking as well.

Reactions: LCH

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Guys this will be a bigger deal than fist glance. It would under current Antelope draw numbers open up 34 hunt codes to nonresidents. These 34 hunt codes were not a possible draw prior, but now will all issue at least one NR tag.
My point exactly. Odds will still be low, but above the 0% those codes are at currently for a DIY NR.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Guys this will be a bigger deal than fist glance. It would under current Antelope draw numbers open up 34 hunt codes to nonresidents. These 34 hunt codes were not a possible draw prior, but now will all issue at least one NR tag.
That certainly makes this sound better than it did at first.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have family members who guide in both colo and new mexico so I am not anti guides/guided hunts . that said , I would never pay for a guided hunt .

in my mind if you can't do it yourself it simply isn't worth doing. and I sure as hell ain't gonna pay someone 10-15 grand to kill an elk/deer or whatever .
every time I looked at that trophy on the wall it would simply be a reminder that I couldn't do it myself!
but that's just me .

good luck to all of you who will

Reactions: swampokie