7mm-08 vs 6mm Recoil

magnum12

May 31, 2011
MM - The side of the barrel is stamped 6mm Rem and you are correct as that is when Remington made the twist change to try and keep up with the 243 but when I ran a cleaning rod through it with a patch, it measured one full turn in 12 inches.

I did just call Remington and gave them the sieral number and she said that is should have a 1 in 9.125 twist rate barrel on it as no 6mm Rem, except for the BR model, came in a 1 in 12 barrell. So now I'm back to square one on why this wont shoot 100 grain bullet.

Last edited:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I'd believe my cleaning rod test as it matches your bullet accuracy issues. Doubly so if you can duplicate the cleaning rod test results. I'd guess a few 1 in 12 barrels got mixed up with the 1 in 9 barrels. Stranger things have happened.

If the Barnes tip removal or Sierra or Partition options all fail, may be time for a new barrel or assignment of this one into your varmint battery. Good luck with it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Maybe you discovered a factory mistake/defect by Remington. Would be worth a shot to let them know- you may get a free barrel or new gun out of the deal.

magnum12

May 31, 2011
I did do the cleaning rod test 3 different times, all with a piece of tape attached to it as a flag and it came back as a 1 in 12. I am getting ready to head out for the weekend, going to try and get my youngest his first gobbler but will be spending some time shooting it this weekend to see how it works with the tops on and off on the barnes bullets.

I will let you all know the results when I get home Sunday night.

Tim - I have considered putting a new barrel on it but after pricing a Pac-nor barrel and paying them to put it on and true the action, I could buy a new rifle so if this doesn't work I will retire it to a varmint rifle.

Hilltop - When I spoke with Remington early today, I asked the rep there could it of been possible a 1 in 12 got put on this gun as I told her it could not stabilize anything heavy and she was quick to say "No, the 6mm only came in 1 in 9.125"

Thanks everyone for your help and info!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
That is frustrating. Hope it shoots the topless barnes. Enjoy the hunt!

ER Shaw can put a barrel on, chambered and true the receiver face for $301 ish. The accuracy reports, since they retooled a few years back, have been decent. I've been tempted to send them off a rifle but have not yet. I'd guess you'd end up with serviceable hunting accuracy to 300+. Just another option.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Are you sure its an original gun? Maybe someone changed or re stamped the barrel? It is at the start of the 6mm? Everything points to it being a 244 except the 6mm on the barrel.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
For the OP.

I have shot a 6mm Remington quite a bit, first rifle I ever owned actually.

If you're going to only use the rifle for deer, I wouldn't sweat the bullet a whole lot. I loaded some old 75 grain nosler solid base with a starting load for a .243 last fall. I wanted something with very mild recoil that my nephew could shoot well. He killed his first deer with it last year...shot was about 80 yards behind the near shoulder, exited in front of the off shoulder.

The 3 most important things when it comes to killing big-game are: shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement roughly in that order. Bullet construction is down the importance line, in particular with modest velocities and deer sized game.

As to why your rifle wont shoot the 100 grain bullets? Lots we don't know. How far off the lands are seating the bullets? How many powders have you tried? How many different brands of 100 grain bullets have you tried?

I can also vouch for pac-nor if you go that route. I've had 2 rifles re-barreled and actions trued by them. Both are 7-08's, 23 and 24 inch barrels 11 degree crowns 1-9 twist #2 contours. The least fussy rifles I've ever dealt with. I've tried a least 8 different powders in both, and its pretty tough to not get 1" or better @ 100.

The only thing I'll warn you about the 7-08, if you buy one for your kids, don't be surprised if you're shopping for one for yourself shortly there after.

Mean round that over-performs with very modest recoil...and kills very well, even on elk.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
magnum12 I have, or should I say my son has a Remington Model 600 in 6mm Remington. It does have a 1-9 1/4 twist just like you were told by Remington. That is correct. Why it won't shoot a 100 gr. bullet for you I cannot say. I would just play with a couple different 100 gr. bullets and powders. My "son's" 6mm shoots 100 gr. Partitions loaded over IMR4350. That and H4350 are two very good powders in this cartridge in addition to many others.

If your rifle will not shoot the 100 gr. bullet I would strongly suggest trying the 85 and 95 gr. Partitions. If one of those shoots for you they would work perfectly on deer and antelope sized animals. I have shot one elk with a 6mm and 100 gr. Partitions and my son shot his first elk with a Ruger MK II in 6mm using a 90 gr. Nosler E-tip. He has also used his Model 600 to take several antelope. Best of luck.

magnum12

May 31, 2011
Hey guys,
Well had a good weekend but did not get out to hunt turkey though but oh well, still have time left in the season. Well here is what I have found out this weekend after spending a few hours at the shooting bench.

To my surprise, the 80 grain barns with and without the tips shot great! At a 110 yards you see the group I shot, minus the two flyers that my son and I sent to the left. This was over max charge of IMR 4350. I also had some Hornady VMax, 87 grain loaded up with Win 780 powder and sent two of them into that same group. Actually one of the fliers to the left that my son sent was a Hornady and not a barnes.

Tim - Thank you for the recommendation and will check them out as the old savage, which I found out from my dad this weekend was purchased by my grandfather back in the 40's and hunted with since, may need a new barrel as it will no longer group anymore. Still going to try one more brand of ammo though before then. :)

MM - This rifle was purchased by my wife's uncle and has owned it with no changes ever since. Her dad did say they used to have a problem with that gun keyholing but I have no clue what they were shooting back then. Let me re-do the cleaning rod test.

6mm I was shooting the 100 grain partition over a few different powders, one being IMR4350 and I believe varget but will need to go back and check my notes at home.

Here is the groupings I shot with the barnes and a couple of Hornady V-max but disregard the one on the bottom.

6mm.jpg