6.5 To kill an elk?

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
It's definitely superior to an arrow.

I was also surprised when I saw the actual specifications on the 6.5 CM. With all the hype I thought it must shoot a 400 grain bullet at 5000 fps.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
The way i see it there is 3 different view or sides to this neverending 6.5 creedmoor debate. Side 1 you got the prs shooting (yes i know most shoot 6mm now ), all new to hunting or gun guys who some say its the greatest thing ever.
Side 3 is the older guys who have shot big magnum since they were kids and we all know that works but doesn't feel very good on the shoulder or if you have dentures. Or where im at is kind of in the middle. I think the 6.5 is great i own one i plan on hunting antelope with it this year and i think it would be a great deer gun . I have never killed an elk but its in the plans . When that time comes i will be getting something "bigger" i haven't decided and really don't know if its needed but i love to shoot and reload and im always looking for my next gun. I waited for years to see if the 6.5 creed was just another wildcat round that would fade away. Like it love it or hate it its hear to stay.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Spanish Little Fly said.....
"I think the 6.5 is great ........ plan on hunting antelope with it this year and i think it would be a great deer gun"

Lots of people are in the same boat as you brother.....lots.

Last edited:

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Spanish Little Fly said.....
"I think the 6.5 is great ........ plan on hunting antelope with it this year and i think it would be a great deer gun"

Lots of people are in the same boat as you brother.....lots.

Thats a really good video worth definitely worth the time to watch.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Side 3 is the older guys who have shot big magnum since they were kids and we all know that works but doesn't feel very good on the shoulder or if you have dentures. Or where im at is kind of in the middle.
I definately qualify as an "older guy" as I'm 78. I shoot a .300 Wby with a muzzle brake and I doesn't rattle my dentures (I don't have any!). I also shoot a 30-06 w/o a break. As I stated earlier, nothing less than .30 cal for elk (and larger game) for me. My Wby kicks less than my 25-06.

Reactions: JimP and mosquito

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I definately qualify as an "older guy" as I'm 78. I shoot a .300 Wby with a muzzle brake and I doesn't rattle my dentures (I don't have any!). I also shoot a 30-06 w/o a break. As I stated earlier, nothing less than .30 cal for elk (and larger game) for me. My Wby kicks less than my 25-06.
I made a note to myself to check out the .300 wby when i get serious about my next gun . Im not familiar with it at all. 🤔 maybe i should have said more experienced fellows 😀

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The way i see it there is 3 different view or sides to this neverending 6.5 creedmoor debate. Side 1 you got the prs shooting (yes i know most shoot 6mm now ), all new to hunting or gun guys who some say its the greatest thing ever.
Side 3 is the older guys who have shot big magnum since they were kids and we all know that works but doesn't feel very good on the shoulder or if you have dentures. Or where im at is kind of in the middle. I think the 6.5 is great i own one i plan on hunting antelope with it this year and i think it would be a great deer gun . I have never killed an elk but its in the plans . When that time comes i will be getting something "bigger" i haven't decided and really don't know if its needed but i love to shoot and reload and im always looking for my next gun. I waited for years to see if the 6.5 creed was just another wildcat round that would fade away. Like it love it or hate it its hear to stay.
I'm with CC. I shoot a, 340 Weatherby and have no problem with using it as a elk, deer, or even a antelope rifle. Those 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullets strike like Thor's hammer.

However I do draw the line using it as a gopher rifle, that is unless I screw on the muzzle brake and then I'll shoot it all day, as long as I have ammo.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have always been a .270 guy . have killed tons of elk ,bear ,deer, antelope with it and very seldom ever needed a follow up shot.

I don't knock the higher calibers but never let anyone tell you you NEED at least .30 caliber for the big game . it is nonsense .
nothing against those who choose the higher calibers. if it is what you prefer kudos and good luck . post some pics and I will be happy to look .

it is simply my opinion that the .270 is a better all around caliber . I do believe it to be just a might big for predators but it is capable of killing any animal that exists on this planet.
it will serve for predators and big game for those who can't afford multiple weapons.

6.5 creedmoore will also.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have always been a .270 guy . have killed tons of elk ,bear ,deer, antelope with it and very seldom ever needed a follow up shot.

I don't knock the higher calibers but never let anyone tell you you NEED at least .30 caliber for the big game . it is nonsense .
nothing against those who choose the higher calibers. if it is what you prefer kudos and good luck . post some pics and I will be happy to look .

it is simply my opinion that the .270 is a better all around caliber . I do believe it to be just a might big for predators but it is capable of killing any animal that exists on this planet.
it will serve for predators and big game for those who can't afford multiple weapons.

6.5 creedmoore will also.
If you'll read my first post, I am not advocating anyone give up what they now shoot and go to a .30 caliber. I happen to shoot .30 calibers for elk and they do exactly what I want them to do. I didn't say you should give up your .270 and shoot a .30....whatever works for you, works for you. I don't have anything in between .30 and .25 and don't plan on adding anything in that area.

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
Simply from experience and the devastating loss of two big bulls because my bullets were inadequate I had moved up to the 7mm with its bigger impact velocity and flatter shooting capabilities.. Someone once said you don't want a gun that will do the job when everything goes right, you want a gun that'll do the job when everything goes wrong. It's hard enough to even get a shot at a bull so I like having that confidence in my rifle when I'm hunting elk. Out of respect for the animal and tempering my ego about how good of a shot I am it just felt right going with a bigger caliber

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
A buddy of mine is a Creedmore fanatic so I looked at the ballistics, personally if I were looking for a gun in that category I would go with a 7mm-08 or 308. I like larger diameter bullets. I didn't see much difference between the CM and the 7mm-08 in the data that I was looking at.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm with CC. I shoot a, 340 Weatherby and have no problem with using it as a elk, deer, or even a antelope rifle. Those 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullets strike like Thor's hammer.

However I do draw the line using it as a gopher rifle, that is unless I screw on the muzzle brake and then I'll shoot it all day, as long as I have ammo.
I suspect when they come out with a 338 PRC, everyone will jump on the 338 train... like omg how did they just now invent a 338 ??

I kind of like the 6.5prc, but really would like to see a 7mm-6.5prc introduced, kind of like a short action 280ai.... or baby 300wsm...
would be a great sheep cartridge/rifle I think.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Looking at that comparison video, my biggest take-away was that the main advantage that the 6.5 C had over the 308 was reduced recoil. The ballistics don't really come into play until 600-700 yards, and IMO, no one has any business shooting at big game at that distance.
I have sold my .243 (antelope), 7mm mag. (elk) and gave my 7mm-08 (deer) to my grandson. I now do it all with a 30-06 for the smaller critters and cow elk and a .338 for bull elk. Both are "lights out" to 480 yards. There's no need to chase the latest fad unless you just need the excuse to buy another rifle.

Reactions: Winchester

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I suspect when they come out with a 338 PRC, everyone will jump on the 338 train... like omg how did they just now invent a 338 ??

I kind of like the 6.5prc, but really would like to see a 7mm-6.5prc introduced, kind of like a short action 280ai.... or baby 300wsm...
would be a great sheep cartridge/rifle I think.

We all like guns and we never have too many. But IMHO, the 7mag or 300wsm cover all your bases with manageable recoil for anything in NA.
But, I'll buy more... :D

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
We all like guns and we never have too many. But IMHO, the 7mag or 300wsm cover all your bases with manageable recoil for anything in NA.
But, I'll buy more... :D
Exactly, practicality has nothing to do with it, I like guns. Some people collect art, I collect guns. Everyone has something they waste a portion of their expendable income on.