6.5 points in WY

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Me and another member on here have been talking about cashing our WY pronghorn points in this year, or at least applying. Our average is 6.5, we have researched a few possible units. Scoured over the latest MRS and I even printed and highlighted the resident draw table to see what units are in high demand for the locals but I?ve yet to cross reference it for our point allocation.
We are considering the special draw and hoping to have a decent 2nd choice for back up plans, as we really want to get out there this year.

Some of those units in the 60?s have come up in our research and so has 80. I?ve spent some time in 80 scouting. It was about 5-6 years ago. Did see a few nice bucks but not a lot of animals, so things could have changed. Plus 80 is about as far as you can go in WY to hunt for us traveling from TN/AL.

Our time frame should be a solid week of hunting so we should have time to inventory the animals and put our glass to good use.
Trophy; of course we want the biggest (who doesn?t) but speaking for myself I would sacrifice that to ensure we have plenty of access with limited pressure and the ability to look over a lot of animals. We haven?t discussed in great detail on the specific dates but guessing we would likely lay off the opener if that meant less pressure, if that even applies to these type of units.

We have both killed Antelope off WY public ground on 2nd choice tags, just time to get rid of these points.

So, if anyone is willing to shed some light on our thought process it would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, my grandfather will have 7 points for next year so I thought this would be a great chance to be able to hunt in a good unit in back to back years.

Final two thoughts; we swing for the fence on a higher tiered unit with slightly good odds and hope to draw a decent 2nd choice or should we go for the sure thing?
And doe tags will be sought out as well, one of my favorite animals to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chopperz

Jan 27, 2014
If i had 6.5 pts id apply for and hunt 67 again in a heartbeat....had 6 when i drew....man what a long wqit tho..idk if i can wait that long again...haha

ssulliv155

Mar 8, 2015
Central WY
74 or 75 are excellent units which would be good for your point range. And as Chopperz said, 67 is about as good as it gets, but it wouldn’t be a guaranteed draw with 6.5 points.

Last edited:

wjohnson1983

Jun 19, 2014
Harvest, AL
I'm the other half applying with AT Hiker. I think we've settled on 67 with 7 as the second choice.

I saw 100% draw odds the last two years on the special tag, but just realized the reason it was 100% last year is because nobody with <7 applied. The quota was 1 tag for <7. Two years ago the quota was 11 and 4 applied. Point creep and may catch us, or maybe a lot of folks cashed in last year before the price increase.

We're open to suggestions especially on the second choice. I've hunted 25 second choice before.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
80 in my opinion is over rated, I have hunted it and there are some nice bucks there, but the population is low compared to other units and its very flat. It gets hammered really hard on the opener, as do a lot of units. With the points you have anything you can draw should be a great hunt.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Didn?t draw our first choice, I?m not sure what to think about draw odds anymore.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that the draw this year was changed all around with the new fee increases. People that used to put in for the special draw switched back to the regular draw with a few going to special route.

From the last couple of years I had a good chance of drawing my area with 5 points but after the draw it looks like it has now jumped up to 7 points because of people switching draws.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The only time to feel good about any of the draws is on the day you can check results. Many areas have been very unpredictable. I don't see that changing, especially if people no longer have to front the fee in the future.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
A friend of mine had a unit he applied for that the special odds increased in his favor but the regular jumped 2-3 points.

I?m more concerned with my grandfather for next year, he has 7 points and is in his mid 70?s. I really need to get him in a unit but not completely waste his points. I was hoping I could draw mine this year and get him in the same one next...that plan didn?t work.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
A friend of mine had a unit he applied for that the special odds increased in his favor but the regular jumped 2-3 points.

I?m more concerned with my grandfather for next year, he has 7 points and is in his mid 70?s. I really need to get him in a unit but not completely waste his points. I was hoping I could draw mine this year and get him in the same one next...that plan didn?t work.

7 points will get you into a lot of great units, with the potential of a buck in the high 70"range, and a chance at the 80"er.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
7 points will get you into a lot of great units, with the potential of a buck in the high 70"range, and a chance at the 80"er.
We tried to get into one this year and it didn?t work out to well, lol.
I guess the best thing to do is look at past odds including this year and try to make a educate guess on a unit I can get him in, maybe minus 1 point to insure draw odds?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
We tried to get into one this year and it didn?t work out to well, lol.
I guess the best thing to do is look at past odds including this year and try to make a educate guess on a unit I can get him in, maybe minus 1 point to insure draw odds?

I have family come out hunting something every year, and figuring a full point creep in most cases keeps you in the guaranteed/at least having a chance pool.

Good luck next year in the draw!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
This year with the tag increases was a wild card year. Some jumped to the special draw and others dropped down to the regular draw. You just never know on the draws.

Trying for a unit that takes lesser points is always a good idea when you just want to get out and hunt and dropping from 7 to 6 or even 5 will still get you into a good unit.

wjohnson1983

Jun 19, 2014
Harvest, AL
All is not lost. We drew second choice and are in the leftover draw for doe tags since we didn't get those initially.

So I keep hearing things about prime rib at the mythical pizza barn in Newcastle?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
All is not lost. We drew second choice and are in the leftover draw for doe tags since we didn't get those initially.

So I keep hearing things about prime rib at the mythical pizza barn in Newcastle?
Get the family size pizza, its better. It's like 24" wide, bring your appetite.