6.5-300 Weatherby

DaveZ

Dec 16, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
I have an opportunity to get a 6.5-300 Weatherby but am concerned about the future existence of the round. What are everyone's thoughts on this round? Will Weatherby maintain this round? Will other ammo manufacturers be able to pick this up eventually?

DaveZ

Dec 16, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
I agree with CC.

To keep out of the poor house with any of the Weatherby round you need to reload. Why pay $100+ for a box of 20 when you can load them yourself for less than $40?
Well, considering this will be an antelope and mule deer gun and I'll use it may be once a year if I can get a tag and that I would be starting from scratch reloading, I'm OK with the factory ammo for now.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Dave your concerns are valid. With all weapon manufacturers trying to fill a hole in the cartridge charts any small concern now could be a bigger problem later.

Its a tough call though. As Jim and CC said above kinda gotta prepare before the purchase.

I did that with our 280 AI custom builds. Made sure I had enough brass for the lifetime of the gun.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Personally I will be very surprised if Weatherby quit making the cartridge. It has performed well and demand will keep them building it. Reloading is a good though, get the performance you want.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Steve O

Apr 26, 2012
Michigan
Has Weatherby ever stopped producing a Weatherby cartridge? Maybe there was a 22 something Weatherby Mag but I cannot recall.

As an aside, a few years ago I was determined to have a fire breathing 6.5. I studied quite a bit the 6.5-300 amd 26 Nosler. Ended up deciding the old 264 Win Mag could do almost what those others could do with 20-30 grains less powder.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Has Weatherby ever stopped producing a Weatherby cartridge? Maybe there was a 22 something Weatherby Mag but I cannot recall.

As an aside, a few years ago I was determined to have a fire breathing 6.5. I studied quite a bit the 6.5-300 amd 26 Nosler. Ended up deciding the old 264 Win Mag could do almost what those others could do with 20-30 grains less powder.
Great caliber, often overlooked.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Weatherby has a 224 Weatherby mag and they still sell rounds for it. They are quite expensive for a 22 but they have them, usually from Weatherby directly. I don't believe that there is a big enough of a market for them for other retailers to stock them.

Reactions: Slugz and Steve O

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado

Theres alot of that going on these days. Too much internet marketing, newest best thing.

Backfire, 10 minute talk by Vortex and Ron Spommer put out some very good " unbiased" " unsponsored " videos with hard data that will allow us normal guys to make choices.

6.5 300 was put out during the 6.5 craze and buildup. Direct competion to the 26 Nosler as they were grabbing market share.

As you stated the 264 Win Mag is pretty much right there and overall per round, a ton cheaper.

Last edited:

DaveZ

Dec 16, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
So, I should clarify a bit. I ended up winning a 6.5-300 WBY at an RMEF banquet. I'm now trying to decided if I sell it, or deal with the high priced ammo. I was initially looking for a smaller round (270 or similar) to go with my 7mm Rem Mag. Its a great looking gun.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Nothing wrong with the 6.5...
if talking weatherby's I'd probably rather have a 300wby, 340wby, or maybe even the 257wby (just becuse it's so popular especially amongst the wby line...)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If I won a 6.5 Weatherby I would stick a Leopold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope on it and have a riot shooting targets and animals with it.

But then I am a reloader and can wring out the ultimate performance from it. But even purchasing loaded ammo it would still be fun, expensive but fun.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon

I have had a .264 Win Mag for years, the thing just shoots awesome.. I wouldn't want to live on the difference between it and some of the more "modern" cartridges...

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The .264 Win Mag is a perfect example of why someone who owns one and is considering an upgrade to the newer 6.5 being offered today should consider reloading for it if they don't already do it.. The .264 was developed over 50 years ago with powders and bullets common to that era. Todays components offer many more choices that are a big improvement.

If you are considering spending several thousand dollars on a new rifle for the new calibers, I believe you can improve your performance that come close to matching the newer calibers. (I am assuming your existing rifle is quality enough to take advantage of the reloading potential.

I have a .300 Weatherby that I reload for and I use the newer components and get improved performance from the factory ammunition that was developed many, many years ago.

Just another advantage for reloading your own stuff.

Reactions: Steve O and JimP

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I won a raffle a couple years ago and had my pick of several guns. I picked the 6.5x.300 Wby First Lite Vanguard. It came with a factory muzzle brake. I scoped it and shot it. Then I sold it. Just too much recoil without the brake, and I don't like to have a brake on a hunting rifle. You don't always have time to put on ear protection before a shot when you're hunting. I've owned and shot lots of other Weatherbys. I'm a Weatherby fanboy. I reload. Factory ammo isn't a problem for me. But I'd rather shoot a .257 or a 7mag Weatherby than the 6.5x300. Maybe in a Mark V the recoil would be less severe. I don't know. It wasn't terrible. Not as bad as a RUM, but just not enjoyable to shoot. I didn't need it, so I sold it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have a .340 Weatherby and without the brake on it I can only take around 10 shots with it and I am then done from the bench. However, I have never felt the recoil of that rifle when hunting, and I never hunt with the brake installed.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have used a 340 wby for years, can’t say that I enjoy it on the bench but have never noticed the recoil while hunting. I don’t mind shooting my 300 wby on the bench. When I was much younger I decided I wanted to try the 30-378. I bought one in a Sako it does not have a muzzle break and in my opinion is too light of a gun, I had gone about 7 years without firing it because it isn’t very enjoyable to shoot. Last fall I decided to give it another try. All I will say is that with ever year that passes I like my 257 wby more and more!

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
The .264 Win Mag is a perfect example of why someone who owns one and is considering an upgrade to the newer 6.5 being offered today should consider reloading for it if they don't already do it.. The .264 was developed over 50 years ago with powders and bullets common to that era. Todays components offer many more choices that are a big improvement.

If you are considering spending several thousand dollars on a new rifle for the new calibers, I believe you can improve your performance that come close to matching the newer calibers. (I am assuming your existing rifle is quality enough to take advantage of the reloading potential.

I have a .300 Weatherby that I reload for and I use the newer components and get improved performance from the factory ammunition that was developed many, many years ago.

Just another advantage for reloading your own stuff.
Got a pre 64 .264 your willing to sell me? Just asking as I 'd rather have a wood stocked classic then one of these new plastic guns.