5 points elk

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
So I usually don?t have a problem figuring out a unit I?m interested in but WY has proven difficult for me to figure out. The problem is two fold- grizzlies thicker than thieves in the NW! And private/public access issues in the better units on the eastern side. So that leaves me with the SW corner, SE corner and the bighorns. I like the bighorns in that they have an abundance of national forest and good access but the dates suck! And I understand early weather really plays a huge role on the rifle hunt and even in bow season possibly and lots of tags. I?m not opposed to bow hunting with the option of picking up a gun Oct 1 or late sept. So the units that have those season openings appeal to me. I?ve looked hard at unit 11, 41, 34, 19 and maybe some of the 90 units. I wouldn?t mind hunting in grizz country if I wasn?t DIY and solo. And I?m not opposed to the public - private issues with those units if I could figure out ahead of time. I?m not after a 350 bull or bust. I?d be very happy with a chance at a 320 type bull and some rut action! I just got back from a successful DIY muzzy elk hunt in Utah if I can help anyone there. Thanks guys for any help!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
5 points is kind of no mans land... My advice is to wait a few more years until you can draw one of the better tags. I am not aware of any that take 5 points that would be worth your investment up to this point.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
My advise would be:
1) nail down the dates that work for you and match that to the specific unit seasons
2) Decide public or private hunt type.
3) Go to the WY game and fish website. There are maps there that overlay the hunt units boundaries over the N.F. / BLM boundaries. This will give you an idea on which units have large amounts of N.F. / BLM land within them
4) while at the WY game and fish site, go to the link with the draw odds / draw results. Go back 3 or 4 years on the units of interest and see what the trend shows on how many points have been required to draw the units that you have identified. This is where you will get awakened and depressed all at the same time! Point creep for elk in WY is moving very fast, some units the creep is close to 1 point/year, which means you will never be able to catch up. Many units that took 3-4 points for 100% draw odds 3-4 years ago now take 6-8 points for 100% draw odds. The data will tell you where you have a realistic opportunity to hunt.

Like Hilltop stated, 5 points is sorta no mans land, especially with the point creep the way it is now.
Also, with the new price increases in WY that I have been reading about, it is hard to determine how this will impact the demand on tags. Could reduce demand or it could result in a temporary spike in demand with many 'cashing in their points' and putting in for the draw.

Good Luck