.410 for Turkey?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Awesome job! I just seen that Nebraska and Kansas have no age restrictions on Turkey hunting so I need to get it together to get my boy out.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Awesome job! I just seen that Nebraska and Kansas have no age restrictions on Turkey hunting so I need to get it together to get my boy out.
I honestly questioned my judgment earlier this year and went back and forth on whether he was ready... I have no doubt now that I made the right choice as a dad. He spent over an hour on the phone last night calling everyone that we know to tell them about the hunt. He is making plans for this weekend to "help" me cook it and have his friends over to eat his bird. He is also asking when he can buy another tag...

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Hilltop, congrats to you for being a great dad, and congrats to your son for getting his first turkey! Memories made last forever!

huntabsarokee

Feb 27, 2012
Northeast PA
What brand of gun was it and how was the recoil and function for a kid? I am in the market for a youth shotgun. Think I want to go the semi 28 ga route vs 20ga pump for my daughter.
Thanks!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I honestly questioned my judgment earlier this year and went back and forth on whether he was ready... I have no doubt now that I made the right choice as a dad. He spent over an hour on the phone last night calling everyone that we know to tell them about the hunt. He is making plans for this weekend to "help" me cook it and have his friends over to eat his bird. He is also asking when he can buy another tag...
I need to do a little more range work with my son. He's been out a few times with me and does great even calls pretty darn good. We make Turkey strips out of are meat and he loves it. Congratulations again, that what being a dad is about, the memories made will last forever!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
What brand of gun was it and how was the recoil and function for a kid? I am in the market for a youth shotgun. Think I want to go the semi 28 ga route vs 20ga pump for my daughter.
Thanks!
To be honest I don't know what brand it is. It is an older gun. NE69 can chime in to answer that. Function is like any semi auto- challenging to operate for a very young hunter. It isn't a gun you can turn them loose with by any means. Even though it is a semi auto, I loaded shells for him one at a time. I didn't want there to be any chance of an accident. Recoil was tremendously lower than our youth 20ga pump. It is honestly lower than a .410 single shot. My son didn't ever complain in practice or hunting.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You did the right thing. My son was 7 when he passed his hunter safety and I took him dove hunting the same year (he was almost 8 by then). I didn't shoot, just helped him and he got 5 birds with his first box of shells. I bought him a H & R Topper single shot 20 ga and cut the stock down to fit him. I remember when we BBQ'd his birds (which he insisted we keep separate from the rest), he bragged to everyone about eating his own doves! Priceless!!!

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
We finally got it done! It was a fun hunt for both of us. I got off work at 5pm, picked him up and hit the road for the 1 hour drive to my favorite turkey spot. I hurried as fast as I could to get setup but with a 6 year old in tow it was 6:30 before we were in the blind. Within a minute of being in the blind I heard a turkey call close. I opened the window to find 3 big toms running into the decoys... agggg! I got his gun out and loaded as fast as I could, set him up in the shooting hole just as they reached the decoys. In the excitement, he missed the shot. He was very disappointed and so was I for not coaching him through the shot a little more. We decided to wait 20 minutes after that miss and let everything settle down before trying to call. 30 minutes later I had Terin's bird coming fast... This bird came in so fast he couldn't get a shot right away. It literally got within a few feet of the blind. I think it heard us because it ran out to 30 yards and stopped to look at what had spooked it. When it paused he made a great shot. He was elated to say the least...

It's not the big tom that he could have gotten but he is super proud of that bird. The .28 gauge that NE69 let us borrow worked great! I would recommend this gauge to anyone with a little one wanting to hunt turkeys. Thanks again NE69!
That is awesome! Congrats on a great moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
It is a Remington 11-48. My Dad bought it new about 1965. He cut about 5" off the stock and I shot my first pheasant with it when I was about 7 years old. No recoil to speak of. Terin was pretty excited when he called. Pretty cool. Congrats to Hilltop and Terin.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
It is a Remington 11-48. My Dad bought it new about 1965. He cut about 5" off the stock and I shot my first pheasant with it when I was about 7 years old. No recoil to speak of. Terin was pretty excited when he called. Pretty cool. Congrats to Hilltop and Terin.
That is a wonderful shooting gun. I have shot 100's of rounds of skeet with one.