280AI or 28 Nosler

switchbackkd

Jan 22, 2012
I'm trying to decide between 280AI or 28 Nosler.

I'm kinda new to hand loading, just started at end of last year. I'm looking to shoot 800yds maybe push it to 900yds.

I'm looking at
Kimber Hunter 280AI 24"
Savage 110 Long Range Hunter 280AI 26"
Browning XBolt Western Hunter 28Nosler 26"
Nosler Liberty 48 28 Nosler 26"

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For me I would look at the ballistics of both and go from there. Either round should be capable of pushing a bullet to the range that you want.

Usually the rifle is a personal preference

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ohhhhh love this question.
Son and I recently pulled the plug on a two rifle custom build. It came down to these two calibers. Both could be built light weight the way I wanted so really the deciding factor for me was what kind of distance I was gonna be shooting.
I think based upon your 800 yard to 900 yard desire then the 28 Nosler would be my choice ( little bit better energy at those ranges)

I'm going with the 280 AI because I need a 400 yard shooter....maybe out to 500 ( but not likely)
My 175gr AB load is estimated to have a 2700 FPS minimum out the end which gives me 2056 FPS/1643ft/lb at 500 yards.
I might get a little better than that so will see.

Run the numbers verses the performance you get out of the bullet you wanna use to meet the mins at impact.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yep
I went thru the same ballistics drill as Slugz.
I settled on the 28 Nosler because I’m starting to shoot out to 1,000 yards on the range with the guy who built my rifle. He competes in matches at 1,000 and 2,000. I think it will be fun to shoot that far ... at paper & steel. I don’t plan to shoot at an animal that far.

Reactions: Bonecollector

memtb

I don’t think that it comes down to ballistics “only”! Most people never thought there would be a Toilet Paper crisis....yet here we are! If I were able to actually put my hands on a large supply of brass for the 28 Nosler....I’d certainly considergo the 280 AI. 30-06 brass, or some variation thereof is out there by the ton! With a little effort and an extra step or two, you can “create” 280 AI brass. Just the opinion of someone that will not experience a personal TP shortage ! :unsure: We were prepared! :LOL: memtb

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Good points ... I considered that as well.
I immediately bought plenty of 28 Nosler brass so no worries there.
I also have a 30-06 so no worries of running out of something to shoot.

Reactions: memtb

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
split the difference, 7mm Rem.Mag?

weatherby has the 6.5mm RPM, which I could see them coming out with a 7mm RPM sometime...

also I could very well see a 7mm PRC/ruger coming down the pike soon, but who knows?

IF you reload there's a ton of options, the 7mm WSM being one...

Not to talk you out of a 7mm, but a browning x bolt in .300 WSM has a 23" barrel, very handy, case for case, as you go up in caliber, you need less barrel length... ie., the 26 nosler needs more barrel length than the 30, 33 nosler does...

Last edited:
Reactions: Winchester

switchbackkd

Jan 22, 2012

weatherby has the 6.5mm RPM, which I could see them coming out with a 7mm RPM sometime...

also I could very well see a 7mm PRC/ruger coming down the pike soon, but who knows?

Not to talk you out of a 7mm, but a browning x bolt in .300 WSM has a 23" barrel, very handy, case for case, as you go up in caliber, you need less barrel length... ie., the 26 nosler needs more barrel length than the 30, 33 nosler does...
The Hells Canyon 300 WSM has 26 in barrel. I haven't ruled out a 30 cal have been looking at the 300 PRC

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado

I have a friend like you. I once let him come around after a scotch or two. Hes also very good at talking me into buying things that I don't need, but are so much fun to have :)))

Bwht4x4

Aug 29, 2012
I went through all of this at the end of last year and decided on a custom built 280 ai by TS Custom Rifles in South Dakota. It'll have a 26 Proof barrel, Lone Peak Ti action, Mcmillain stock, TriggerTech trigger, Hawkins Precision metal, and a VX 6 HD 3x18 Leupold. I'm hoping to have it in hand within the next two weeks.

Reactions: D_Dubya and Slugz

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
If you plan on shooting a lot the 280AI will probably have better barrel life, from what I’ve heard a 28 Nosler will only get 800 rounds or so...some guys that means a lifetime of shooting, some guys a year (or a month). In my experience if you want to shoot far it will take quite a bit of practice, and once you start ringing long range steel it gets addictive. You might also look at a Christensen Arms Traverse, my buddy has one in 28 Nosler and it’s a tack driver.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
If you plan on shooting a lot the 280AI will probably have better barrel life, from what I’ve heard a 28 Nosler will only get 800 rounds or so...some guys that means a lifetime of shooting, some guys a year (or a month). In my experience if you want to shoot far it will take quite a bit of practice, and once you start ringing long range steel it gets addictive. You might also look at a Christensen Arms Traverse, my buddy has one in 28 Nosler and it’s a tack driver.
How's the recoil on this particular rig?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I was wondering what the recoil was like with one of these. Thanks for posting that.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I was wondering what the recoil was like with one of these. Thanks for posting that.
When I shot my Bear and Buck with it last year it kicked so little I actually stayed on them in the scope and saw them react to the bullet impact.
I never saw that before, my scope always jumped off the animal with my old 30-06.