.264 Win Mag on Elk

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Elk are hard animals to kill at times. I've have had them drop like a rock and I have seen them absorb a lot of bullets before they dropped all from the same rifle and loads all put into the right place.

But I do have to agree on trying a different bullet other than Bergers
Yup, nothing but accu-bonds for this guy.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I’ve heard Aki bonds can be finicky to load but a lot of people figure it out. Personally I’ve had great success with Barnes Bullets. On another note I will say that the berger bullets are extremely accurate and great for small game and rodents and I agree with others not what I would want to use on deer and elk as you are cleaning a lot of lead out of your meet. But they do kill quickly as the bullets explode just inside the animal and all of the energy is absorbed usually without a pass-through, pending shot distance.

Reactions: Prerylyon

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Berger makes a hunting bullet but I will stick with Barnes. You dont need a sub moa rifle or bullet to kill a deer or a elk, however all of my hunting loads are sub moa out to 600 yards with the Barnrs TTSX

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Its a dinosaur, but Nosler Partitions keep killing a lot of deer and elk; seem to shoot well in a lot of rifles.
Agreed, the old NP has put a lot of meat in freezers. I've tried them in multiple rifles and calibers and still struggle to find desired accuracy with them. I've found accuracy much easier with the Barnes TSX/TTSX and more recently LRX, which I'm switching most of my rifles to.

Good luck!

Reactions: Prerylyon and JimP

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Berger makes a hunting bullet but I will stick with Barnes. You dont need a sub moa rifle or bullet to kill a deer or a elk, however all of my hunting loads are sub moa out to 600 yards with the Barnrs TTSX
I'm using the Berger hunting bullet in my new .28 Nosler.
I've only shot at two animals so far so the sample size is very small but my bear and mule deer both dropped in their tracks with just one shot. Neither one took another step. So far so good.

Reactions: Prerylyon