260 Rem.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Thinking about buying a Remington 700 in 260. Also thinking about running with the Barnes long range x bullet in 127gr. What's people's experience and thoughts with this caliber? It would probably end up being my go to, deer and antelope gun. Or maybe experience with this caliber and bullet combo?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It should be a good round but I don't really see any reason to go with the Barnes Long Range X bullet. I'd just go with the 120 TTSX hunting round. You are loosing that much in BC and unless you are shooting well over 500 yards the 120 should shoot just as well.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I just went through this exercise and ended up with the 6.5 Creedmoor in a Tikka as I felt it was my best chance for a highly accurate out of the box rifle (my opinion only). There is now a vast array of stuff available for the 6.5 CM. If you want a Remington 700, I don't believe Remington chambers the 6.5 CM. A Remington 700 was my preferred action but I would want it trued and a custom barrel. By then it would be more money than I was ready to spend on that project.

The two cartridges have a very similar case capacity:

260 Remington has a case capacity of 53.5 grains (water volume)

6.5 Creedmoor has a case capacity of 52.5 grains (water volume)

Here is an interesting comparison of the two. Realize since this comparison was done, Lapua brass is now available for the 6.5 CM, and Lapua brass was the selling point for the 260 Remington in this comparison.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/17/birds-of-a-feather-260-remington-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

Last edited:

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I outfitted my four grandchildren with 260's. Three Model Sevens and one Savage 16. I also own one in an A-Bolt. I hunted exclusively with one of the Model Sevens for 14 years. We have a very liberal amount of deer we can take in Mississippi and I would venture to say the original M7 has taken more than 100 Whitetails. Most of those with a 120 grain Remington Accutip load no longer available. Now shooting mostly 120 grain Fusions with the same result in all but the Browning. It likes the 140 grain Core Lokts. Lost one deer in all the years we have been shooting the 260. It was a quartering to shot by my son. Found that deer while scouting the next season. I don't think you could flip a coin between the performance of the 260 Rem and the 6.5 CM from what I have read but I have no experience with the CM. The caliber was made for Whitetails.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
After kicking it around a lot, I've decided to go with another 7/08. I'm already set for loading for this caliber. Thanks to everyone for their insight on the 260.