220 Year Old Elk Antlers

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
That's a pretty cool find. There were a lot of elk until we settled this country and shot them for food to survive. It wasn't about the horn, but the meat.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Very nice! They look fabulous. After the terrible winter of 2010-11 and the flooding we had here in Montana that summer, A friend who farms and ranches just to the east of me along the Missouri found 11 bison skulls washed up on the banks late that summer , not sure on the age, but they had been in the river for decades I am guessing.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Both would be a very cool thing to find.

With the way that the native tribes used to drive bison off of cliffs it is very possible that upstream there are some good cliffs where they were driven off of and then butchered either in or just off of the side of the river.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

With the way that the native tribes used to drive bison off of cliffs it is very possible that upstream there are some good cliffs where they were driven off of and then butchered either in or just off of the side of the river.
There is a spot in central Wyoming that they did just that. Hells Half Acre near Powder River. Used to be a pretty good motel, campground, eatery and bar there, but all gone now. Just a roadside sign denoting the buffalo killing cliff. Spent many an evening there years ago after hunting, playing pool and drinking a few brewskis.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

yeah but doubtful one would find any skulls, I here tell they didn waste nuttin. 😆

the elk antlers is a cool story but I am skeptical on the ability of any scientist to accurately date anything over a day old. I recall a story where a guy chipped out an arrowhead got it nice and dirty by walking on it in the dirt , had it carbon dated and was told it was thousands of years old. carbon dating is malarky. JMHONMNL

Last edited:
Reactions: okie archer

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
yeah but doubtful one would find any skulls, I here tell they didn waste nuttin. 😆

the elk antlers is a cool story but I am skeptical on the ability of any scientist to accurately date anything over a day old. I recall a story where a guy chipped out an arrowhead got it nice and dirty by walking on it in the dirt , had it carbon dated and was told it was thousands of years old. carbon dating is malarky. JMHONMNL
Carbon

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Carbon dating does not work like that. No way to just take the arrow head alone and derive a carbon date. Carbon dating is done by several things. The level or area of placement in a dig. Then taking bone or wood material from the same level or area and dating it. These combination of things can give you a close span on actual age. If just looking at the arrow head alone you could just identify the general age of the material no way to tell when it was knapped.

Reactions: kidoggy and JimP

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Carbon dating does not work like that. No way to just take the arrow head alone and derive a carbon date. Carbon dating is done by several things. The level or area of placement in a dig. Then taking bone or wood material from the same level or area and dating it. These combination of things can give you a close span on actual age. If just looking at the arrow head alone you could just identify the general age of the material no way to tell when it was knapped.
cool. my point is it doesn't work at all.

I believe the possibility that these antlers ,"could" be that old but dismiss the idea that anyone has the ability to say for sure.

I do think it's a cool find and congrats to the finder.

Last edited:

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
A good friend of mine's friend or cousin (I don't remember anymore) from Wisconsin found a big rack like that back in the 90's sticking out of the mud in a swampy lake that had dried up during a drought. Who knows how many years that thing had been laying there. I would guess it had been there since at least the 1800's, maybe longer. I always thought that was pretty cool too.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming

Malarky! That's the second time in my life I heard that. The first was out of Feel-em-Up Biden's pie hole. LOL.

Reactions: kidoggy