Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'm going to stir the pot here... as a Wyoming resident I don't see the problem with that. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is charged with managing one of the most dynamic landscapes on the planet with highly sought after game animals found in only a limited geographic zone. Demand far outstrips supply in this case and the job is a tough one... no matter what the department does it is sure to be met with criticism. So, if preference points help generate revenue in a state with fewer than 600K residents and populated by iconic game animals that hunters around the world want to pursue, I guess that's okay with me.
I support most of the statements made including yours Todd. However I would like to see some additional revenue raised by increasing tag prices for rresidents And increase does not need to be drastic but it does need to be realistic and this statement has nothing to do with being a non-resident. Based on your statement of supply in the man in charge of taking care of one of the greatest ecosystems in the world, $50 for a resident elk tag is is not smart business. $100 per resident elk tag would still be a bargain and would double the revenue on said tags and would go along way to supporting what we all love. 25% increase on other resident tags would still be a minor out-of-pocket expense for WY residents but equate to another small boost for the Wyoming fish and game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I'm going to stir the pot here... as a Wyoming resident I don't see the problem with that. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is charged with managing one of the most dynamic landscapes on the planet with highly sought after game animals found in only a limited geographic zone. Demand far outstrips supply in this case and the job is a tough one... no matter what the department does it is sure to be met with criticism. So, if preference points help generate revenue in a state with fewer than 600K residents and populated by iconic game animals that hunters around the world want to pursue, I guess that's okay with me.
Don't take my post as a slam against the Wyoming G&F-It's really a compliment, so much so, that I believe they are one of the best G&F Departments in the country. I'm not a young aggressive grab any tag type of person. I have hunted several states and Canada since the mid 80's and I am really close to retiring. I understand what many states do and why. I personally believe Wyoming and a few other states do the best job in allocating tags based on sound population estimates and counts. I enjoyed my experiences in every state and met many new friends throughout the years, and some I hunt with still when I can. I have slowed down a lot and really just enjoy getting out and seeing the country.

Wyoming is my favorite state, because it is managed well and their wildlife resources are very important to them and I have hunted it several times. I agree with you and many others in regards to the process in place. My comment simply reflected a theory and it could be completely something else and I am off base. Were all Hunters and many want to enjoy the opportunity to be able to enjoy the sport while we can.

Last edited:

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
A few observations to the last page or so of comments. Yes, PP are a revenue source for the G&F and will not go away anytime soon, if ever. I am curious to see what happens in the next few years as many nonresidents are "cashing in" their points and getting out. My guess is that demands for licenses will remain high and tags will just keep getting harder to draw.

When there are resident license price increases, which I don't have any issues with, they will coincide with nonresident license increases. It would be a cold day in h##l before any legislature would increase resident fees without nonresident fees going up. The other way around is a different story all together. Moral; careful what you wish for.

Finally, is there any doubt why the demand for licenses keeps increasing? Why certain areas get harder and harder to draw? It's forums like these, it's Facebook and Instagram, it's Eastman's and Huntin Fool and all the rest telling you where to apply, where to go and what's the best way to draw it. Hunters are networking into oblivion and there's no end in sight.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
A few observations to the last page or so of comments. Yes, PP are a revenue source for the G&F and will not go away anytime soon, if ever. I am curious to see what happens in the next few years as many nonresidents are "cashing in" their points and getting out. My guess is that demands for licenses will remain high and tags will just keep getting harder to draw.

When there are resident license price increases, which I don't have any issues with, they will coincide with nonresident license increases. It would be a cold day in h##l before any legislature would increase resident fees without nonresident fees going up. The other way around is a different story all together. Moral; careful what you wish for.

Finally, is there any doubt why the demand for licenses keeps increasing? Why certain areas get harder and harder to draw? It's forums like these, it's Facebook and Instagram, it's Eastman's and Huntin Fool and all the rest telling you where to apply, where to go and what's the best way to draw it. Hunters are networking into oblivion and there's no end in sight.
All excellent points.

What somewhat dumbfounds me a little-even with all this hunting social media networking and fee based research services- is how some of the really marginal units-esp with regards to sensible public land access for the DIY hunter-esp antelope-got so tanked in this yr's draw; its almost like the hoardes picked the same 2nd choice unit(s) and/or others at the same time may have just grabbed as many reduced price tags as they could, simply because they were making the trip west for their primary trophy tag, and figured they'd load up on them. Their effectivness as conservation management tools may be pushed this yr. I wonder how many of these tags will ultimately go unfilled due to lack of knowledge, lack of seriousness, or care?

I guess some ranchers are gonna make some extra cash with folks shelling out for trespass fees, or the county sheriffs are gonna be busy writing tickets-maybe a little of both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JMBC

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I am curious to see what happens in the next few years as many nonresidents are "cashing in" their points and getting out. My guess is that demands for licenses will remain high and tags will just keep getting harder to draw.
I believe you are correct. I know in my case, drawing a moose tag with my 17 points is just getting harder and harder every year and most likely will continue to be. Back in the 90's and early 2000's, the demand was not that high, but the game has changed dramatically the last 10 years, and point creep was never this bad as it is now. When I started buying moose preference points, they were $7.00. Dummy me for missing a few years thinking I wouldn't need to hurry and buy them every year.

Absolutely agree- once again back in the 90's my information was gathered from magazines and talking to those that I would meet in areas where I would hunt and the intel that I would learn in the field. Today the internet has opened the door to another whole different dimension in gathering information, and it's not going to go away.

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018

Don't forget people selling information and game GPS coordinates for $$$.

Last edited:

daddyomolly

May 11, 2018
Central Wisconsin
" Finally, is there any doubt why the demand for licenses keeps increasing? Why certain areas get harder and harder to draw? It's forums like these, it's Facebook and Instagram, it's Eastman's and Huntin Fool and all the rest telling you where to apply, where to go and what's the best way to draw it. Hunters are networking into oblivion and there's no end in sight."

Thank you JM77 for eloquently stating what I've been thinking about the forums....there is money to be had in growth of the sport and the ambitious are taking good advantage....good for them, bad for others.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
" Finally, is there any doubt why the demand for licenses keeps increasing? Why certain areas get harder and harder to draw? It's forums like these, it's Facebook and Instagram, it's Eastman's and Huntin Fool and all the rest telling you where to apply, where to go and what's the best way to draw it. Hunters are networking into oblivion and there's no end in sight."

Thank you JM77 for eloquently stating what I've been thinking about the forums....there is money to be had in growth of the sport and the ambitious are taking good advantage....good for them, bad for others.
I think it is absolutely true that information in the digital age has made it much easier to apply, then plan and then pull off a western hunt. The "secret" on cow/doe hunts has also gotten out and guys point banking in other states just want to hunt. Practice on a herd of cows for three years before drawing the bull tag.

The flipside of this though is that in the long run it will be good for hunter recruitment. Without which we will never be able to maintain our lifestyle. Think of all of the posts on here where hunters have been building points for their kids, smart move. Get them into it early.

Reactions: Hilltop

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The preference points are your way of standing in line while you wait. Nothing wrong with them - most folks were taught to wait their turn when they were kids - just wait and wait and wait, all okay as long as no-one is "cutting" up front...

I spent some time looking at the application numbers for antelope and deer. Stuff has changed quite a bit in the short time I've been in the game (since 2017). OnX opened the west and others told everyone where to go so the masses have applied.

Should be interesting to see how things continue to change. Hoping for my next WY hunt in 2 years if the point thing doesn't make me wait longer.

It is a wonder folks keep saying the license fees need to keep increasing. That and preference points will push keep folks out of the game. Making it more of a rich man's sport than it already is.

Anyway - time to buy your WY points for next year or 10 years from now.