fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Honestly Buzz, you and I are so apart on our opinions that this conversation is hardly worth having.

I will say though that If you dont see an issue with the price gouging and non-resident discrimination going on in the western states then we are really worlds apart in our opinions.

If raising the prices through the roof is what it takes then so be it I guess. Being a non-resident only gives me the right to my opinion to fine places such as this website, not a vote that counts.

Sad part is, if I died and left it all to the Game and fish they would just piss it away and still raise the costs of licenses.. Its standard operating procedure for our Govt.

WTF do I care anyhow, I cant take my money with me.

I'm over it.
Almost all states gouge the non-resident hunter, it just isn't the western states. A long time ago, lets just say closer to 20yrs ago i guided non-resident hunters from Iowa on my best friends ranch here in Wyoming. They would show me pictures of these huge whitetails they killed on a regular basis. I've always wanted a big whitetail since i was younger and i always liked hunting them here in Wyoming. We didn't have the genetics or the feed like they do in Iowa, so our deer were a lot smaller. I decided i was gonna go out there one day and get me one of their big ,giant whitetails. So i started buying preference points, and figured when the time was right or i had the means to go, i would have all the points i needed to go the year i wanted and not be the guy2 or 5 or whatever points behind in order to draw the tag. Once i figured out how many points it took to draw the very best tag i quit buying them and have been sitting on them for alot of years. Well this year everything worked out, i made friends in Iowa with some nice guys that own farms in one of the best zones. So i put in for the Archery buck tag, oh by the way, you can't even put in for the buck tag without first buying the 120$ antlerless tag. So i did that and then put in for the buck tag. Long story short, after all tags, conservation stamps, yada,yada,yada i spent $660.50. So i don't like to hear just Western states gouge non-residents. Iowa makes a pretty penny off of us non-resident deer hunters. Even after all these years of saving points, cost of liscenses, fuel, food,Etc. I am more than happy to pay this and have an opportunity to shoot a big whitetail buck that i have dreamed about for many years. And yes i did draw a zone 5 Archery tag this year, there were only 2 non-residents with more points than me. I hate point hoarders! HAHAHA.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Almost all states gouge the non-resident hunter, it just isn't the western states. A long time ago, lets just say closer to 20yrs ago i guided non-resident hunters from Iowa on my best friends ranch here in Wyoming. They would show me pictures of these huge whitetails they killed on a regular basis. I've always wanted a big whitetail since i was younger and i always liked hunting them here in Wyoming. We didn't have the genetics or the feed like they do in Iowa, so our deer were a lot smaller. I decided i was gonna go out there one day and get me one of their big ,giant whitetails. So i started buying preference points, and figured when the time was right or i had the means to go, i would have all the points i needed to go the year i wanted and not be the guy2 or 5 or whatever points behind in order to draw the tag. Once i figured out how many points it took to draw the very best tag i quit buying them and have been sitting on them for alot of years. Well this year everything worked out, i made friends in Iowa with some nice guys that own farms in one of the best zones. So i put in for the Archery buck tag, oh by the way, you can't even put in for the buck tag without first buying the 120$ antlerless tag. So i did that and then put in for the buck tag. Long story short, after all tags, conservation stamps, yada,yada,yada i spent $660.50. So i don't like to hear just Western states gouge non-residents. Iowa makes a pretty penny off of us non-resident deer hunters. Even after all these years of saving points, cost of liscenses, fuel, food,Etc. I am more than happy to pay this and have an opportunity to shoot a big whitetail buck that i have dreamed about for many years. And yes i did draw a zone 5 Archery tag this year, there were only 2 non-residents with more points than me. I hate point hoarders! HAHAHA.
This is true. In reality tags in many desirable states that have excellent management (1 buck for R's and limited draw for NR's)are $500+. Kansas is $550 for a whitetail tag, + $150 for a mule deer stamp for a $700 deer tag.

Suddenly that $330 mule deer tag in Wyoming is a great deal. Thus the wait time increases as applicants flood the draw. Exactly waht we saw in 2019. If you are a NR hunter you really want to hunt the states with the most expensive tags, just to weed out the rif raf.
Wyoming is inviting all the cheap hunters with these prices.

Right now the 3 states which are really out of whack are Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado.

Nebraska is the cheapest NR deer tag that I know of, and they let you buy 2. And they are in the $200 range and they are essentially OTC if you do even a small amount of planning ahead. But the hunting is not great on public land. This bump just needs to be to $300.

Wyoming is next cheapest, and offers some excellent hunting in the $300 range. This needs to be about $500. Sorry but that's what it's worth.

And Colorado could probably stand to charge a bit more than $400. Say $500 + for Colorado as they have some good deer hunting.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
This is true. In reality tags in many desirable states that have excellent management (1 buck for R's and limited draw for NR's)are $500+. Kansas is $550 for a whitetail tag, + $150 for a mule deer stamp for a $700 deer tag.

Suddenly that $330 mule deer tag in Wyoming is a great deal. Thus the wait time increases as applicants flood the draw. Exactly waht we saw in 2019. If you are a NR hunter you really want to hunt the states with the most expensive tags, just to weed out the rif raf.
Wyoming is inviting all the cheap hunters with these prices.

Right now the 3 states which are really out of whack are Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado.

Nebraska is the cheapest NR deer tag that I know of, and they let you buy 2. And they are in the $200 range and they are essentially OTC if you do even a small amount of planning ahead. But the hunting is not great on public land. This bump just needs to be to $300.

Wyoming is next cheapest, and offers some excellent hunting in the $300 range. This needs to be about $500. Sorry but that's what it's worth.

And Colorado could probably stand to charge a bit more than $400. Say $500 + for Colorado as they have some good deer hunting.
Missouri's deer tags are $225 for a non resident... Just an insider tip - We border KS, IA and IL...... You can buy an OTC rifle tag right smack dab in the middle of the rut.
I just picked up a KS deer tag this year, the tag alone was $450, I won't include the license, since I already buy it for turkeys and deer.

Wyoming offers a premium product, perhaps the best outdoor experience of all the states. I'll always pay what Wyoming asks, and I'll pay it gladly. And while I'm paying it, I'll thank all the dudes in WY that manage such a great resource, and are nice enough to allow me to come out every few years, give them a couple grand, and take home a cooler full of good eats and a lifetime of good memories.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Ohio offers one of the best deals in the country for Premier state tag during the rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Ohio offers one of the best deals in the country for Premier state tag during the rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For public land hunting some states would not quality. Same with those that have OTC tags. Even Kansas has a lot of walk in land available and not a lot of residents to compete with which is going to be much different than Ohio or Missouri.

Comparing states where most tags are used on private land is not the same as states where you are having to draw a tag and hunt on publicly accessible land.

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
Man, us Kansas folks wonder where the unpressured WIHA is. Even on a limited tag 2 miles in I had competition from someone who I was impressed could even walk that far.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
The problem with my home state of Ohio, is that there are unlimited License and tags for the those that want to hunt here. Public land gets pressured very hard and Harvest Numbers have been declining for the last several years due to the population declines. Prices for license and tag were very cheap until this year, for a top ten Trophy state.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I think Wyoming antelope was a little easier to draw for nonresidents prior to 2015 because the application deadline was in March with results posted in late June/July.

I think the quotas being lower and Wyoming having the later deadline makes it a last chance at drawing a hunt for the year.

That's just my theory. :)

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I think what we are seeing is a decrease in overall hunter numbers but a current demographic who has the money, time and inclination to travel for hunting.
Todd, I'll just add onto that I think people are getting fed up with the point systems and cashing out what they have built up. With the amount of landowners not wanting any hunting on their property or any more hunters than immediate family, the traveling for hunting plan is really coming to head.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Agreed. The points systems are frustrating for sure. Do you think a straight up random draw would be better?
I used to love the point systems because they were fairly predictable even just 5 years ago. With the exponential increase and volatility we are seeing, I think I would be in favor of a completely random draw... But that would be really unfair to those who have saved for many years. Maybe just add a point cap?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I used to love the point systems because they were fairly predictable even just 5 years ago. With the exponential increase and volatility we are seeing, I think I would be in favor of a completely random draw... But that would be really unfair to those who have saved for many years. Maybe just add a point cap?
Random is the fairest option. Everyone has the same chance every single year. One thing I would be in support of though is some type of waiting period for some of the best tags, we do it for trophy species, why not do it for all? In Wyoming the general tag is still an option, or even leave the easier to draw tags as an option.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I think points work just like they're supposed to. The problem is the guy at home thinking they or their kid deserve a WY area 100 license or a UT san juan tag. Limit expectations to reality and go hunt.

Last edited:

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Agreed. The points systems are frustrating for sure. Do you think a straight up random draw would be better?
Yes-but there is so much money flowing in from preference point purchases, that it most likely won't happen. It's become a revenue source for the Fish and Game.

Last edited:

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I think Wyoming antelope was a little easier to draw for nonresidents prior to 2015 because the application deadline was in March with results posted in late June/July.

I think the quotas being lower and Wyoming having the later deadline makes it a last chance at drawing a hunt for the year.

That's just my theory. :)
Valid Point- some apply for other states that have due dates earlier and are able to apply later for Wyoming if they don't get drawn elsewhere. Wyoming G&F may have known that and made the change to increase applications. Just another theory?

I think what we are seeing is a decrease in overall hunter numbers but a current demographic who has the money, time and inclination to travel for hunting.
Agree on this as well.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Yes-but there is so much money flowing in from preference point purchases, that it most likely won't happen. It's become a revenue source for the Fish and Game.
I'm going to stir the pot here... as a Wyoming resident I don't see the problem with that. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is charged with managing one of the most dynamic landscapes on the planet with highly sought after game animals found in only a limited geographic zone. Demand far outstrips supply in this case and the job is a tough one... no matter what the department does it is sure to be met with criticism. So, if preference points help generate revenue in a state with fewer than 600K residents and populated by iconic game animals that hunters around the world want to pursue, I guess that's okay with me.