2022 Fishing thread

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
My wife even bought me a fishing map book for the area as a kind of bait lol. Glad I didn't bite, would have been one more thing she would have got in the divorce. :)

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Marcus...Canada is open. The Arrive Canada app is not too much trouble. You provide a pic of your Covid vaccination card, date and estimated time of entry at a border crossing, with your pertinent info. You may be subject to a random Covid test, but that seems to be a very small chance. You also need to provide an address for quarantine if you do test positive while in Canada. The address of the resort suffices.
At the border, they check your passport that links to your ArriveCanada info, ask the same questions they typically ask, and you are quickly on your way.
Canada is not open as unvaxed cant go in so there for not open.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Canada is not open as unvaxed cant go in so there for not open.
There are always going to be rules that you have to deal with when you cross any border (except of course if you come to the US via Mexico). They won't let you into Canada if you had a DUI within the last ten years because they consider that to be a criminal offense. You aren't allowed to bring eggs or live bait, etc. It is certainly up to you as to get vaccinated or not, but then you have to accept the consequences of that choice. Saying that, I would rather that not be a mandate either as I live just 100 miles from the border and have spent over a year in Canada on various trips and jobs over the last 10 years.
I have to log off now so I can load the car and head to Canada in a few hours. I will be off the grid for 8 days fishing, playing cards, eating, and enjoying a great time with some old friends. Photos to follow.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
There are always going to be rules that you have to deal with when you cross any border (except of course if you come to the US via Mexico). They won't let you into Canada if you had a DUI within the last ten years because they consider that to be a criminal offense. You aren't allowed to bring eggs or live bait, etc. It is certainly up to you as to get vaccinated or not, but then you have to accept the consequences of that choice. Saying that, I would rather that not be a mandate either as I live just 100 miles from the border and have spent over a year in Canada on various trips and jobs over the last 10 years.
I have to log off now so I can load the car and head to Canada in a few hours. I will be off the grid for 8 days fishing, playing cards, eating, and enjoying a great time with some old friends. Photos to follow.
greatest thing about the net is I don't have to go to canada . I can live vicariously through those who do !
good luck and take lots of picss!

Reactions: RICMIC

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Heading to Port St Joe in the morning. Looks like good weather and it was a great trip last year..... More to come.
We’re headed up in about 3 weeks. Gonna get a couple full days of fishing - red snap, kings, trout and maybe flounder and reds if can get good bait.

Last edited:

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Hope to see lots of great pics have fun.

I agree they have rules but what I have issue with is that they allow vaccinated people in with out testing even though they carry the virus same as unvaxed. Why not allow unvaxed in with a test requirement or proof of having had the virus in the last so many months. I submit to that to cross.

Reactions: Rich M

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Drove the whole way to Florida on Friday and the guide cancelled the trip.
We had asked him on Thursday if he thought it would be ok before we drove 7 hours to get there and he said it "should be fine".
Then Friday at 5:00 in the evening he called and said it was cancelled due to weather conditions. Buoy report said it was 2' seas 50 miles out....I was reading the same report he was so I don't know what the issue was. He did have the covers off his motors when we got to his house to pick up our deposit....so I wonder if there was a mechanical issue and he just blamed it on the "weather".

1 Vacation Day each
$267 in fuel
$1000 for 2 rooms for 2 nights.

To catch a shark from the bank.....

This will likely be my last trip to the ocean for a long time. Its just too expensive to have people jacking you around like that.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Dang that is a bummer. The cost of hotel, and gas has really increased. When you plan a trip and depend on a guide or others there is always a risk of disappointment. I don't see any way around it as you have to book way out in advance most times.

Reactions: marcusvdk

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Drove the whole way to Florida on Friday and the guide cancelled the trip.
We had asked him on Thursday if he thought it would be ok before we drove 7 hours to get there and he said it "should be fine".
Then Friday at 5:00 in the evening he called and said it was cancelled due to weather conditions. Buoy report said it was 2' seas 50 miles out....I was reading the same report he was so I don't know what the issue was. He did have the covers off his motors when we got to his house to pick up our deposit....so I wonder if there was a mechanical issue and he just blamed it on the "weather".

1 Vacation Day each
$267 in fuel
$1000 for 2 rooms for 2 nights.

To catch a shark from the bank.....

This will likely be my last trip to the ocean for a long time. Its just too expensive to have people jacking you around like that.

View attachment 40347
Sorry to hear about that. Prices are nuts and for the guide to pull that stunt really hurts.

We'll be in the same area but will be bringing my own boat. if it is too rough, we'll stay in St Joe Bay or go check out St Vincent Island. About $600 for 1 room for 3 nights.

Reactions: marcusvdk

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Met some buddies over the weekend for our annual walleye trip- great weather and great fishing.
This one was just under 5lbs.
View attachment 40366

2nd day limit - all fish right around 3lbs and +/- 20"

View attachment 40367
We used to fish this smallish lake in VT and the walleyes avged about 18 inches. Would fish hard to get that first decent legal fish and then follow the school around with trolling motor. Those were fun days.

What were you guys using? We'd use bottom bumpers, spinners and worm harnesses. Sometimes sinkers and floating jigs if the fish were in the weeds. Never really got any with shiners, nightcrawlers were the bait of choice.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We used to fish this smallish lake in VT and the walleyes avged about 18 inches. Would fish hard to get that first decent legal fish and then follow the school around with trolling motor. Those were fun days.

What were you guys using? We'd use bottom bumpers, spinners and worm harnesses. Sometimes sinkers and floating jigs if the fish were in the weeds. Never really got any with shiners, nightcrawlers were the bait of choice.
We caught fish on bottom bouncers with a crawler, big spinner baits, and trolling small crankbaits at high speed. The walleye were really active as the baitfish spawn is in high gear right now.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
walleye wouldn't say they are my favorite but they,ll make a turd and they ain't crappie

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

have had some luck with walleyes trolling a rapala deep diver brook trout. biggest wally I ever caught was only 14 or so inches though.

Reactions: Rich M