2022 Fishing thread

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'll have to give it to my Wife's 80 year old grandma. Even in that nasty chilly wind we had, she is still getting out night fishing until midnight. Loves it.

First fish of the season.
Second fish of the season. A pretty rare (for us) black gar.

First fish of the season for me. (Grass carp) He managed to break my 20 year old arrow and stick a piece of it in my hand when I lifted him into the boat. Grass carp and some seriously strong fish.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
that is a great looking mount marcus. I really like the usage of the tree and rocks in the background as well as the baitfish. Is the baitfish a perch?

Reactions: marcusvdk

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
We ran into some black drum tailing today. Dad really enjoys that kind of fishing. He put the bait right in front of the fish and 15-20 minutes later we estimated 30-35 pounds and released. I told him it was a 2 hand fish, he said hurry up and take the picture.

The little silver one is a 20 inch sea trout.
98C55FF3-E33A-4BC1-A1E6-BEC6C6271174.jpeg
43CF45F6-E72B-4987-A343-303C9A12D32B.jpeg

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Just got back from a trout fly fishing trip in Idaho on the Henry’s Fork. We booked with WorldCast Anglers and did a drift boat with 3 boats. We had great guides that were patient with us newbie’s and taught us a ton.
Out of the 6 of us only 2 are very experienced fly fishing anglers but this trip now has us all HOOKED! Ha

So I dropped some cash on 2 rigs, pack, a crap ton of flys, upgraded my net and now just need some waders but for now I’ll go with some quick drying pants.

We are now wanting to plan a few more local trips but I want to go to New Zealand next year and hit the 3 main rivers and possibly a fly in trip. Has anyone done this trip or have any info on approximate costs for licenses maybe some lodges or weekly rentals like VRBO?

Im thinking of not going with guides and go DIY but would be ok with guides too. There will be 6 of us going so I want to get started with my research.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: marcusvdk

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Nice bet it was pretty warm down there. No reds?
Weather been in 80s and breezy. Cedar Key.

No reds. Guy who lives next to the house we rented said to go soak mullet on the bottom in a 12 ft deep channel out in the middle of some oyster bars where the channel Ys and we’d get a few. Haven’t found it yet.

Mainly focusing on trout w corks. Easy, fun, plenty of bites.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Weather been in 80s and breezy. Cedar Key.

No reds. Guy who lives next to the house we rented said to go soak mullet on the bottom in a 12 ft deep channel out in the middle of some oyster bars where the channel Ys and we’d get a few. Haven’t found it yet.

Mainly focusing on trout w corks. Easy, fun, plenty of bites.
Yes from my experience deeper water is key. I assume you are in Florida. Might look for docks that have larger boats some of these will hold a few reds.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Yes from my experience deeper water is key. I assume you are in Florida. Might look for docks that have larger boats some of these will hold a few reds.
yes FL

we used to catch more reds in shallow water but ive been fishing mosquito lagoon for a while and am used to those conditions.

The black drum showed up again. Took my cousin and struck out. Back in for bait and he wanted breakfast. Dad hopped on board and we went back out. I got one a bit smaller than his but still a nice drum. 20ish is my guess. Close to 3 ft.

CD9D88A8-1B1E-4F85-A0BC-3C8448919C53.jpeg

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
that is a great looking mount marcus. I really like the usage of the tree and rocks in the background as well as the baitfish. Is the baitfish a perch?
Yes it is a perch. He definitely took my vision for the habitat and nailed it. That was the size perch we used as bait for the pike.

Reactions: buckbull