2021 Hunting Success Thread

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I got my Antelope 30 minutes after sunup the first morning of the season. Couldn’t have found such a great spot to set up camp and hunt without Colorado Cowboy who came along as my “guide”. He’s an awesome friend who I really enjoyed sharing a campfire with. Thx CC !!
It was a great trip, saw tons of antelope(more then I saw 5 years ago when I drew there) and a pretty fair amount of shooter bucks. We had a great time, even with a few weather complications to start the trip. Hope our deer and elk trip is as good as this was. T hanks to Winchester for inviting me along for his hunt!.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, this was DIY, & I forgot my camera, best selfie I could do, plus, I take lousy pics; but here it is!

Thanks to my supporting crew: Winchester, Speer, Alliant, Burris, Sig/Sauer (rangefinder-won on here!), Harris Bipods, Danner, Fort Caspar campground, Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant...go TEAM!

Had to edit this post: absolutely can't forget to thank my sweet wife and kids for letting me go derelict for a few days to feed my madness!

IMG_20211005_143406~2.jpg

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Passed on a smaller buck about 15 minutes before this one. The smaller 8 point was actually running a doe....(Which is a bit early for those kind of shenanigans in this part of the country) and this buck came out of nowhere with his ears laid back and was going to get after him when I let him have it. Then the smaller 8 point came back three separate times that morning to see why he was just laying there....never had that happen before. I've seen some videos of it but never seen that first hand in 25 years of hunting. I video'd it but I'm not sure how to post a video on here.

Also, those 300 grain Hornady SST's prove to be a force to be reckoned with. What a fantastic bullet for a "muzzleloader".

Last edited:

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Passed on a smaller buck about 15 minutes before this one. The smaller 8 point was actually running a doe....(Which is a bit early for those kind of shenanigans in this part of the country) and this buck came out of nowhere with his ears laid back and was going to get after him when I let him have it. Then the smaller 8 point came back three separate times that morning to see why he was just laying there....never had that happen before. I've seen some videos of it but never seen that first hand in 25 years of hunting. I video'd it but I'm not sure how to post a video on here.

Also, those 300 grain Hornady SST's prove to be a force to be reckoned with. What a fantastic bullet for a "muzzleloader".
You guys have an early muzzleloader season?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
You guys have an early muzzleloader season?
Our muzzle-loader season comes in the second week of October every year. Our gun season starts the third Saturday of October. This Saturday the big guns come out and the deer start coming into rut. Its a nightmare.

Personally, I wished they would open muzzleloader at the second saturday in November. Then let rifle have the month of December but that will never happen. Too many "old guards" left to be trying to make changes to improve the genetics of the herd.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Our muzzle-loader season comes in the second week of October every year. Our gun season starts the third Saturday of October. This Saturday the big guns come out and the deer start coming into rut. Its a nightmare.

Personally, I wished they would open muzzleloader at the second saturday in November. Then let rifle have the month of December but that will never happen. Too many "old guards" left to be trying to make changes to improve the genetics of the herd.
I hear ya. I wish there was some date changes here in Wisconsin, but like you said that’ll never happen!
Congrats on the nice buck!

Reactions: memtb