2020 Turkey Picture Thread

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Just a wee bit jealous of all the birds lol, tried turkey hunting 1st time a couple weekends ago here in Wyoming, had 2 getting louder and closer both the wife and I were hunting, I was calling for her first!! Mr nice guy hey lol!! Any way as I was calling I was watching the direction the toms were coming from and out of know where some young kid in nature stroll walked right between us and turkeys woods fell silent and gig was up!! So both of us still Turkey less. Hope to get back out before the close of season but not sure I will🤞Maybe one day! Kinda got a bug to get the slam of 4!! Congrats to all the successful peeps!!

Reactions: gonhunting247

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
I got my first gobbler ever this weekend! Through sheer luck and Gods good Grace's. I was hunting through a stand of cotton woods when I encountered him. He had this look of "oh crap it's a hunter" on his face and did a 180. I shot that thing at about 15 yards. I should have waited a little longer. That shot knocked off its wing, upper back and blew off its beard.

But I still got him.20200425_101714.jpg

Sorry for to poor picture. I was too excited to get him home.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Was not supposed to rain until 10 AM. Drove 40 minutes to hunt but the clouds opened up at 7 AM. Got on a few birds early but nothing was talking or committing. I finally spotted a lone Jake a couple hundred yards out so I belly crawled 100 yards through knee-high wet grass in a light rain along the woodline as he slowly worked his way my direction as well. The gig seemed that it may be up so I popped him at 59 yards. DRT.
sorry no pic- it was raining and I was soaked by then. The things us hunters will do!

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Had a really nice spring this year. Got lucky and bought my Kansas tags the day that Nebraska halted tags to non residents. A few days later, Kansas stopped selling to NR's, but honored tags already purchased. Was a bit of a hassle driving 5 hours from home for my second Kansas bird, with the new limitations in the turkey regulations, especially considering the excellent numbers of birds I saw in my normal spots.

I rarely kill birds right off the roost, generally shoot them around 9-10 in the morning, if not later. This year was a rare one for me, my first Kansas bird never gobbled on the roost, pitched down right behind me and came right in, he was a decent 2 year old, but had clearly been kicked out of the pack of gobbling toms that were only 200 yards away, he crossed the fence about 10 feet from me, and tried to throw down on my DSD half strut Jake, smacked him with some Federal TSS #9 at 10 yards. Was able to roost my second bird that night, and got in early the morning, he came straight off the roost, strutted and gobbled his way across the field and died at 9 yards. Done in kansas, both birds before 6:45am
On to Missouri. First day I could hunt, it had rained for about 24 hours, and finally stopped about an hour before light. Got set up where I thought they might want to be, so they could start drying off. Had a bird gobble right behind me, and 10 minutes later, he was on the ground 80 yards away, super early, it was barely light. He half strut/twinkle toed his way in, and died 12 yards. Everything was covered in about 2 inches of water, so no fan pic - I hate shooting gobblers in the rain...
Kind of struggled on my last bird, as a lot of the birds I had got killed before I could get a chance to hunt them. This Sunday was my worst morning in the woods, not a bird gobbling on the farm. Packed up at 8, headed to a farm 2 miles down the road, hiked in, bumped a tom out of the spot I wanted to set up in... Whoops. Get set up by 8:45, make a few calls, and look up to see a tom racing across the pasture, 200 yards out, stopping to gobble every time it thundered. Totally awesome. He slowed up, and took about 20 minutes, but ultimately could not resist. At 9:15, 9 yards out, I finished up my season. Man it was a good one.

A couple of things: Federal TSS #9's are totally awesome, but probably overkill when you shoot all your birds inside 12 yards.
A turkey lounger chair and a camo netting blind, like these will totally change your turkey hunting. I shot all my birds this spring in spots with essentially no cover, mostly very skinny hedge rows, and birds never new I was there, a few times I struggled to even get birds out of strut to shoot..

Edit: I don't know the legality of linking stuff here, Scott, lemme know if I need to delete

Attachments

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Had a really nice spring this year. Got lucky and bought my Kansas tags the day that Nebraska halted tags to non residents. A few days later, Kansas stopped selling to NR's, but honored tags already purchased. Was a bit of a hassle driving 5 hours from home for my second Kansas bird, with the new limitations in the turkey regulations, especially considering the excellent numbers of birds I saw in my normal spots.

I rarely kill birds right off the roost, generally shoot them around 9-10 in the morning, if not later. This year was a rare one for me, my first Kansas bird never gobbled on the roost, pitched down right behind me and came right in, he was a decent 2 year old, but had clearly been kicked out of the pack of gobbling toms that were only 200 yards away, he crossed the fence about 10 feet from me, and tried to throw down on my DSD half strut Jake, smacked him with some Federal TSS #9 at 10 yards. Was able to roost my second bird that night, and got in early the morning, he came straight off the roost, strutted and gobbled his way across the field and died at 9 yards. Done in kansas, both birds before 6:45am
On to Missouri. First day I could hunt, it had rained for about 24 hours, and finally stopped about an hour before light. Got set up where I thought they might want to be, so they could start drying off. Had a bird gobble right behind me, and 10 minutes later, he was on the ground 80 yards away, super early, it was barely light. He half strut/twinkle toed his way in, and died 12 yards. Everything was covered in about 2 inches of water, so no fan pic - I hate shooting gobblers in the rain...
Kind of struggled on my last bird, as a lot of the birds I had got killed before I could get a chance to hunt them. This Sunday was my worst morning in the woods, not a bird gobbling on the farm. Packed up at 8, headed to a farm 2 miles down the road, hiked in, bumped a tom out of the spot I wanted to set up in... Whoops. Get set up by 8:45, make a few calls, and look up to see a tom racing across the pasture, 200 yards out, stopping to gobble every time it thundered. Totally awesome. He slowed up, and took about 20 minutes, but ultimately could not resist. At 9:15, 9 yards out, I finished up my season. Man it was a good one.

A couple of things: Federal TSS #9's are totally awesome, but probably overkill when you shoot all your birds inside 12 yards.
A turkey lounger chair and a camo netting blind, like these will totally change your turkey hunting. I shot all my birds this spring in spots with essentially no cover, mostly very skinny hedge rows, and birds never new I was there, a few times I struggled to even get birds out of strut to shoot..

Edit: I don't know the legality of linking stuff here, Scott, lemme know if I need to delete
You are good Fink, and thanks for the TSS plug. That stuff has served us very well here!