2020 Drought Deer Antler Growth

Kodiak32

Dec 10, 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
I hunted elk in CO in archery season and noticed antler length much shorter than most years. I also saw more broken antlers and broken main beams then I’ve ever seen. The bull I harvested had good mass and was an old bull but short tine length. I also haven’t noticed the big bucks I usually see through archery. I’m curious what you guys are seeing regarding antler growth?
Question #2: I cashed in 19 PPs in CO for deer. Based on the above, if you were in my shoes would you turn in the tag or hunt?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Down here in the SW part of Colorado, we are have i pretty bad drought. The deer around my area, which is all private & lots of agriculture, the antler growth on the deer seems normal to me. The NF and BLM I can't really say, but most of the bucks I've seen seem normal to me.

Whether you should turn in your tag, is totally up to you. You might be too late (unless it's a 4th season tag) as I believe the new rules say you have to turn it in 30 days prior to the season opener.

Reactions: Kodiak32

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I would hunt. covid will likely have kilt us all by next year. ;) besides ,with global warming it only gonna git worse. de experts say so ,so it must be. :ROFLMAO:

my point being....... there will always be a reason not to hunt every year. just go do what good hunters do and overcome and adapt to whatever situation is thrown at you.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The area I hunt was in a bad drought late summer and early fall. I did notice a few bulls with weak back forks that looked out of place for the rest of their rack. That said, I saw many that looked very good. Deer wise, I saw great antler growth on a couple but can't compare it to previous years as I hadn't seen those deer before. I would hunt.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'd go give 'er heck, and hope everyone else is discouraged because of the drought.

Totally get you burned 19 points and will likely never get to hunt that area again, but in the same turn life can through you a curveball and points or no points you might not have this opportunity again.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Go hunt, the mature deer search out the the areas where they can get the best feed. Their experience in life teaches them well and hunters have to adjust accordingly in the high country. Deer won't be in the hanging basins as much as they will be closer to water sources. Lots of highcountry guys were disappointed that their honey holes that you have to drop 1500 feet for their own water didn't hold the deer they normally do. Well, thats because they weren't following the green wave.

19 points I assume you have a 3rd season tag, follow the water sources until you find the does. They will be chasing the best feed and in turn the bucks will hopefully be chasing them. The deer tend to congregate more when the droughts hit, but there have been plenty of 200+ bucks hitting my feed!

Good luck and I hope you find one that is worth going after!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Where I hunted for the muzzle loader it was as green as ever, plenty of water and if the deer are in a area where you can't find any water they will know where it is located at.

While I haven't seen a monster buck yet, I haven't been into the places that they hang out at except for a couple of days on the muzzle loader hunt. And then I did see a few keeper bucks that were out of range.