ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Pretty amazing where they thrive as well! Sage is not a fun place to live and they do it so well!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
just had me a prairie goat steak for dinner . was delish and not a hair ta be found!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I always say; antelope meat is the caviar of wildlife.
If you don?t agree you?re doing something wrong. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I always say; antelope meat is the caviar of wildlife.
If you don?t agree you?re doing something wrong. [emoji16]

biggest thing most folks do wrong is they cut steaks to thin when butchering. then when cooking they cook until steak resembles a piece of coal. then they wonder why it tastes like arse.

steaks need to be a minimum of 1 inch thick!!!

when grilling... heat barby to 500.

throw on steak.

count to ten ,

flip . count to ten and serve

Last edited:

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
biggest thing most folks do wrong is they cut steaks to thin when butchering. then when cooking they cook until steak resembles a piece of coal. then they wonder why it tastes like arse.

steaks need to be a minimum of 1 inch thick!!!

when grilling... heat barby to 500.

throw on steak.

count to ten ,

flip . count to ten and serve
Maybe a little bit longer than a 10 count but everything else is spot on.
Also, I helps to start with a doe. Marinate with itilian dressing and bread with flour. Follow the above and enjoy.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
They are a pretty amazing animal! I can?t believe some of the extremes they endure!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Maybe a little bit longer than a 10 count but everything else is spot on.
Also, I helps to start with a doe. Marinate with itilian dressing and bread with flour. Follow the above and enjoy.
I personally don't like to marinade or add seasonings. if meat is good why cover up it's natural flavor? if meat is not good I just won't eat it. same way I won't drink a nasty corona. not even with the help of a lime to hide it's nastiness!

but that's just me.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I enjoyed "Built for Speed: a Year in the Life of Pronghorn" by Byers. They learned a ton by following pronghorn year-round on the National Bison Range. I bet I'll never get to where I can identify the individual does like they did though.

Another good book is Pronghorn Ecology & Management by O'Gara & Yoakum. It's a big one, and some of the chapters are more interesting than others (I skipped about half of the chapter describing diseases), but I learned things there that I had never found in any other books. For example I had never heard of present-day 4 horned pronghorn until I read it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Well the only goat I shot I must have cut the steaks too thin. Yuck. Maybe again some day ill give them a try.
To me there are several factors.
1- Don't shoot an antelope that has been run hard. I love to shoot mine first thing in the morning or later in the day when bedded or relaxed grazing.
2- Take care when field dressing and then cool them down immediately.
3- Wrap meat properly when processing. Freezer burned antelope isn't good.
4- I have been cooking a little different lately. I super slow cook whole roasts on the grill until temp comes up to 125. I then remove and get my grill up to 450. Put roast or strap back on to sear 10 seconds on each side. Then remove, wrap in foil, and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. It is by far the best wild game steak out there if handled correctly imo.
5- When cooking meat just past rare, it won't be steaming hot. Sometimes by the time it gets to the table it isn't as hot as some people like. Easy trick to solve this is keep you dinner plates in the oven at 130?F before serving. The warm plate keeps everything at temperature much longer.
Antelope supper.jpg

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
To me there are several factors.
1- Don't shoot an antelope that has been run hard. I love to shoot mine first thing in the morning or later in the day when bedded or relaxed grazing.
2- Take care when field dressing and then cool them down immediately.
3- Wrap meat properly when processing. Freezer burned antelope isn't good.
4- I have been cooking a little different lately. I super slow cook whole roasts on the grill until temp comes up to 125. I then remove and get my grill up to 450. Put roast or strap back on to sear 10 seconds on each side. Then remove, wrap in foil, and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. It is by far the best wild game steak out there if handled correctly imo.
5- When cooking meat just past rare, it won't be steaming hot. Sometimes by the time it gets to the table it isn't as hot as some people like. Easy trick to solve this is keep you dinner plates in the oven at 130?F before serving. The warm plate keeps everything at temperature much longer.
View attachment 23319
Point number 1 is by far the most important in my experience. We've killed dozens over the years n the only bad ones were the runners.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
Amazing animals.
They are not prone to (immune to) CWD and many other hoofed mammal diseases.
Can run 35 mph almost endlessly... for hours I have read.
Beautiful.
Great eysight!
Delicious.
Fffffun to hunt!
Only native to Western North America. It is our proprietary species!
Prefers little to no cover, which is counter to almost all other wildlife species. Instead, preferring to show off their athleticism vs. hiding.
Just cool animals.