2016 Shed Season

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Any success yet this year? Let's hear about it.

I'm finally on the board. Goal 50 miles, 50 hours, 50 sheds...

So far 5 miles 5 hours 4 sheds.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Any success yet this year? Let's hear about it.

I'm finally on the board. Goal 50 miles, 50 hours, 50 sheds...

So far 5 miles 5 hours 4 sheds.

We don't see the Blacktail around here start to shed until around early February. There's a small percentage that come off before then. We don't hit the woods hard until mid to late Feb. But our group probably finds a few hundred every year between 4 of us. Not all fresh browns, but most are decent.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
We don't see the Blacktail around here start to shed until around early February. There's a small percentage that come off before then. We don't hit the woods hard until mid to late Feb. But our group probably finds a few hundred every year between 4 of us. Not all fresh browns, but most are decent.
Wow... look forward to hearing when the time comes... I'm game to learn more on being successful. I love this time of the year.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Found a couple of whitetail sheds last week when I was in Kansas. The moose here in Colorado are starting to drop. Hope to start finding those!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Here are a few pictures from last year. We mainly have elk and Blacktail in our area. We find lots of deadhead too. Cougars run rampant around here, so we find lots of bone piles, sometimes they have big antlers attached to them. 0312151426.jpg0319151440.jpg0405151653b-1.jpg

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Nice pic Montana! I don't start looking till after Valen"tines" day. I don't find many when I do go look.

Last edited:

tundrakid

Jan 21, 2015
Conifer, Colorado
I've heard the deer have dropped in Idaho and most in Iowa. Still a little early in colorado...nothing better than morels!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

highcountryhoy

Jan 16, 2016
Southern, Utah
Montana, Im not trying to highjack your thread, but I LOVE that goal of yours. I'm fairly new to shed hunting, but haven't gotten much more serious about my high country hunting. I set a goal Jan. 1 to put 100 miles on my boots between then and the archery opener August 20. I'm hoping to find some shooters by then, and I hope that you reach your goal and then some!

NDMuliejunkie

Jan 1, 2016
Very Cool Pics. I love to shed hunt but the whitetails at home aren't dropping yet. Hopefully within the next month. I usually only put 15 miles a season looking but deer in this area usually congregate pretty tight, depending on snow fall of coarse. I envy you western guys being able to find elk sheds, that would be so awesome. Season never seems to end when a guy can shed hunt. Finding both sides is right up there with actually taking an animal for me. The best is when you can find both sheds and take the animal the next year (i have on a few occasions), it adds to the history and story with the animal. Keep at it!

Doolittle

Dec 31, 2015
Sweet Pics.I remember on my first elk hunt when I was 12 I found a 5x shed packed it for about an hour and decided there was noway I was gonna pack it clear back to camp.Ended up leaving it in that canyon.Wish I had brought it out now.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I was out on Monday and ran into a couple of bucks still sporting their racks, so I guess they haven't dropped in Oregon yet. Seems like mid. Feb. is the time here. I have a new pup this year. She is a 4mo. old Border Collie/Lab cross. I have an old shed here at the house and I hide it from her. She is getting pretty good at finding it and is proud as punch when she runs to me with it. I am looking forward to hunting them with her. I will post anything I find, or should say anything Sage finds.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I was out on Monday and ran into a couple of bucks still sporting their racks, so I guess they haven't dropped in Oregon yet. Seems like mid. Feb. is the time here. I have a new pup this year. She is a 4mo. old Border Collie/Lab cross. I have an old shed here at the house and I hide it from her. She is getting pretty good at finding it and is proud as punch when she runs to me with it. I am looking forward to hunting them with her. I will post anything I find, or should say anything Sage finds.
Look forward to it...

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Last minute find on the lunch hour... About 45 mins, got back to the car and decided to hit one more patch of trees. Paid off.