2014 NV Hunting Thread

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Good luck to all you guys out there sittin in the heat chasin Lopes with your bows! Season starts today! T-minus 10 days till deer opens!!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Good luck to all. Go get'm. Take lots of camera photos. Can't wait to see the stories this year and post some of my own.

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
Will be heading for one of the Washoe County units later this month. My longtime friend drew a pronghorn tag and I'm going to accompany him. He's taken a number of 80-ish size bucks from several different states but never one that officially scores 82 or more. We will be giving it our best shot. I plan to take a lot of pictures including live shots with my digiscope equipment. Looking forward to sharing on this forum.

Good luck to everyone who already has been lucky enough to draw the good tag!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Got a few pics today. Probably the best images I have captured via digi scoping with iPhone. He was 120yds. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407040970.079527.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407040984.730572.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407041020.356241.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407041029.622749.jpg

Add: my old man missed a cow elk today. We will be back at em in the morning. After he cleared his head from his miss we got on another group of 3. Noticed 2 other guys had seen them as well and were making a plan to close the distance. We backed off so not to catch any crossfire. We watched from a distance as they inched in. They ended up about 30 yds from the elk. The released a borage of gunfire. Probably 8 shots between the two of them. They ended up hitting one in the rear leg and she was crippled up pretty good. I kept a close eye on her and sure enough they lost her after she bedded up. We helped guide them in for the kill and they sealed the deal. Was sad to see it unfold but I'm glad we were there! At the end of the day she was tagged and they have a full freezer. I don't think they expected the elk to end up in their lap during their stalk. They were tailing the cows when all of a sudden something in front of the cows spooked them. They turned back and ran straight toward the hunters. It happened quick, and I understand there position.

Last edited:

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Well I have returned from chasing lopes. Found probably the biggest antelope buck I have ever seen on the hoof. But I found him this morning and had to leave by 2. So I couldn't sit water or chase him by the time I found him. But I am hopeful I can get a deer early on in my deer hunt so I can go back and chase this buck.

Got another buck that was around 70-73 that I was chasing for Friday and Saturday. I watched him for 3 hours Friday hoping he would go into a stalkable spot and he disappeared that day.

Saturday I found him and he was in a stalkable spot. But horses and coyotes pushed them out of the draw before I could get in range. After they went out of sight I ran down the hill after them but ran out of cover and could only get 150 yards from them. Then they spooked.

And Sunday, I finally found the giant buck that I was told about. I watched him from over a half mile and let him take his does over the ridge. I got almost to that ridge until 2 bucks came over 300 yards away and saw me. I thought they were heading to water so I walked back and sat for awhile. They never showed. So I am pretty sure I know the big bucks core area, know his watering hole so now I just have to get back out there. Anyone want to go chase goats ?

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Good luck feather, can't wait to see him after you put an arrow through him!
I think sitting water is how I am going to have to get him unless him and his does go into a perfect spot where I can come in above them. He seems to come in during the middle hot part of the day also.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Good luck to all who were fortunate enough to draw a tag in NV.
I was lucky enough to draw a late season deer rifle tag in the Ruby's.
Also drew a cow elk tag near Eagle valley resevoir for the late season last 2 weeks of dec til Jan 15.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv

That's the buck I chased during my hunt. His track is the size of my hand. He is about a 5 year old buck also, so a year or 2 from his prime is my guess. He is the smartest buck I have ever chased. He is a pure genius

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv

Passed the tall basket 4x3 at 68 yards. He is a cool looking and good buck. But I decided I just wanted my big buck or go home.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv

I took a pic of them also. 68 yards away and could have taken him if I wanted.

My bro missed a 3 point at the same water that evening. He was 29 yards and went through his shot routine. But forgot to check his bubble and missed him. Sometimes that's bowhunting.

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
Trophy quality was down. Top three bucks were a 4x2, 4x3 (both pictured) and about a 170 4 point that I got to 80 yards but couldn't get a shot and they moved into the Thick timber without me realizing. Had some close encounters and it was fun just just not a great year for deer, for my area at least! Saw some decent bulls though!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408318849.468677.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408318860.229870.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408318869.170866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk