1st TimeElk

ELR

Apr 6, 2013
MN
I have a Mathews z7 with a 60lb draw, 27.5? draw length. I?m shooting a 390 grain arrow at 255 FPS. Which puts out 55 ft lbs of KE. Some charts say I?m right in the middle of the suggested KE for elk, others say that?s a little light. It took me quite a while to achieve the product I have right now and I?m confident in this weapon for medium game for sure but concerned I might be disappointed after an unsuccessful elk hunt in 2020. I have time to purchase different equipment and gain confidence with something new but would like people?s thoughts on my current setup for elk and or bear.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Not an expert but elk are big tough critters. I would go to a heavier arrow with a fixed blade cut on contact broadhead. If you limit your ranges and can place your arrow where it needs to be , you would probably be fine. Now if you need a reason to get a new bow and arrows, a heavier arrow and faster bow with more poundage would be nice too. I shoot a 500 gr arrow out of a 70# bow and am nowhere near a heavy setup.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I think you'll be fine if you use a good cut on contact broadhead like a Magnus Stinger or a Vipertrick. If possible try upping your arrow weight to a 125 grain broadhead if you're not already. 415 grain arrow would help your setup out a little better for elk.

I have a Mathews z7 with a 60lb draw, 27.5? draw length. I?m shooting a 390 grain arrow at 255 FPS. Which puts out 55 ft lbs of KE. Some charts say I?m right in the middle of the suggested KE for elk, others say that?s a little light. It took me quite a while to achieve the product I have right now and I?m confident in this weapon for medium game for sure but concerned I might be disappointed after an unsuccessful elk hunt in 2020. I have time to purchase different equipment and gain confidence with something new but would like people?s thoughts on my current setup for elk and or bear.

ELR

Apr 6, 2013
MN
Well, I spent the money a while back and got myself a new bow. It was time to upgrade anyways I told my wife. Mathews Vertix at 65lbs, 27.5”draw, shooting a 442 grain arrow at 262 fps. Without any “what if’s” or “woulda, shoulda, coulda” I’m much more confident that spending the money and beefing things up was a better decision.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Well, I spent the money a while back and got myself a new bow. It was time to upgrade anyways I told my wife. Mathews Vertix at 65lbs, 27.5”draw, shooting a 442 grain arrow at 262 fps. Without any “what if’s” or “woulda, shoulda, coulda” I’m much more confident that spending the money and beefing things up was a better decision.
I got a Vertix myself. Was shooting no cam prior. I also switched to a 5mm fmj and will be using rage hypodermics for broadhead. I’m at 70lb and 30 inch draw so a little different on size than you. I think you made a good choice. I know I’ve never loved a bow like I do the Vertix. I will be hunting deer and elk this year so if I get one I will let you know how my setup performs.

ELR

Apr 6, 2013
MN
I think you should be good i shot a Z7 for three seasons love it but theres nothing like new Eqp iv been a diehard for FMJ 's i recently changed to Victory Xtorsion no blood yet but vary happy with them. That arrow would put you around 450 GR https://www.victoryarchery.com/xtorsion-hunting-arrow-2/
I believe I’m shooting the same shaft as the Xtorsion. It’s a 365 Archery shaft, that victory and 365 share but use different inserts. Not positive but I’m happy with the results!

I see women with 50 pound draws and lighter arrows than that put down an elk. I have seen this question before also when I injured my shoulder I had to go down to a 60-pound draw. So many guys said they shoot 60 pounds and kill them every time. Don't overthink it. If you are accurate, no reason to change.
I will agree with stated above, those Magnus Stinger Buzz Cut 100gr broadheads are wicked. Tried them on deer and that arrow busted right through the middle of a rib on BOTH sides, passed through and stuck in a tree. Still just as sharp as when I put it on the arrow.... HOW!!!??? :oops:

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I see women with 50 pound draws and lighter arrows than that put down an elk. I have seen this question before also when I injured my shoulder I had to go down to a 60-pound draw. So many guys said they shoot 60 pounds and kill them every time. Don't overthink it. If you are accurate, no reason to change.
I will agree with stated above, those Magnus Stinger Buzz Cut 100gr broadheads are wicked. Tried them on deer and that arrow busted right through the middle of a rib on BOTH sides, passed through and stuck in a tree. Still just as sharp as when I put it on the arrow.... HOW!!!??? :oops:
Glad to hear! I have a fused wrist and my absolute max weight i can draw when Im not froze to a treestand is 60lbs. Plan to archery hunt elk next fall for the first time.

Reactions: Apstore