1st or 2nd Antelope Season

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Wanted to get opinions on picking between a first season pronghorn hunt or a rut hunt. I have a pile of pronghorn points in Oregon I will try to burn this year. These were accumulated as a residual of getting in their game decades ago for a Big 3 elk tag. I was finally able to draw that hunt last year, so now I want to exit their lottery system ASAP due to the low NR quota and yearly license donation. I have only done 4 DIY pronghorn hunts, all rifle, so my experience is limited. Optics are so so Vortex binoculars & Leupold scope. I can draw pretty much any NR pronghorn tag I want in Oregon. I got my unit picked. But I've been advised to do the 2nd hunt (8/26-9/3) due to the rut kicking in towards the last 5 days as opposed to getting first crack on the 1st hunt (8/15-8/23). Draw demand is slightly higher for the 1st hunt. Seeking some thoughts on this. I am 60 and at this point in my hunting I am generally a gambler. I have no problem going home with tag unfilled. So I want to strongly consider the 2nd hunt depending on my limitations. Any thoughts from experienced lope hunters? Thanks.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I was in this same conundrum myself this year, but as a resident. I chose 1st hunt. my reasoning was that I figured if I would have been getting my scouting time in then I would have a rough idea of where some bucks might be before all the people get out and start a bit of commotion to there daily routines. but we will see how that turns out if I happen to draw.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
A guide I talked to said the archery season pressure already educated many of the mature bucks to lay low by the 1st rifle. And that it took the rut to drag them back out. Another factor for me is if no point savers jumped in, I should have a 100% chance for the 2nd season tag, and only a 50% for the 1st. So should assure me of the tag if I do the 2nd.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I love to hunt, so I simple would go with the 100% draw tag. If you got lots of time, you'll find one your happy with I bet.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I love to hunt, so I simple would go with the 100% draw tag. If you got lots of time, you'll find one your happy with I bet.
For now that's what I put on my app because I have not drawn anything this year and I want to go somewhere. I got until Sunday to change if I want.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
For now that's what I put on my app because I have not drawn anything this year and I want to go somewhere. I got until Sunday to change if I want.
I think a guy just needs to go with your gut and not over think it.

As far as the glass, if you lived around here i'd let you use mine. You might want to look into a glass rental site. I got no recommendations, just might be an affordable way to get good glass for a once in a lifetime trip

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I work with a guy who has hunted Oregon antelope for 9 yrs in row currently with multiple different tag holders, he told me he hasn't had that much differences between 1st and 2nd seasons. the differences he's noticed seemed more weather related than pressure? he felt the people pressure was more of a constant. but a couple seasons this year changed around to be a bit longer or later. I have spent the last 2 yrs in 1 of the "big 3 antelope" units in Oregon. the people pressure was high in my opinion, but later in the hunt most have went home or only hunted the weekends. I have 19pts going into the draw this year as a resident, hoping it doesn't have a big influx of tag applicants this year.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I hunted WY for antelope a couple of times.
I went 1st season and it was fine … plenty of antelope running around.
But I wasn't trophy hunting, just looking for nice bucks.
Having said that, I'll bet 2nd season is great also and that 100% chance to draw looks pretty good to me.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Seed numbers came out pretty good for both my pronghorn & deer applications, should I have any competition. There was only one other NR in my point pool between both hunts last year so looks good. I applied in same unit for both, Warner.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Good luck Zim, Sounds like a fun year in OR coming up!
We'll see. Normally I don't check web forums or F&G sites for draw results posting often. This time is different. But it seems ODFW picked this year to change their posting policy to more like Wyoming, waiting until exact advertised date.

Reactions: gonhunting247

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
YEAH, normally it comes a few days early!!!
probably wouldn't be to bad if had drawn some other tags we thought were promising odds...…...

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
We'll see. Normally I don't check web forums or F&G sites for draw results posting often. This time is different. But it seems ODFW picked this year to change their posting policy to more like Wyoming, waiting until exact advertised date.
Yes, I think they are sticking to the exact dates now. Tomorrow you will know if your hunting OR once or twice this year! I hope you get them both!