10mm

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Was just reading through this thread again. So when determining a carry-along pistol in archery season or around camp, a 10mm is a good choice? Based on all I've read (so many opinions), the 10mm can be the best option...

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Was just reading through this thread again. So when determining a carry-along pistol in archery season or around camp, a 10mm is a good choice? Based on all I've read (so many opinions), the 10mm can be the best option...
Where legal to carry, in archery seasons, it's hard to argue with a 40 or its big brother the 10mm, being anything but good choices in most of the lower 48. That'd be with max loaded 200-230 hard cast bullets... The loads I carry in my 40 are tested to penetrate 30+" of flesh and bone, which will end most problems one may encounter. Big magnum DA revolvers may be a better option still, but get bulky and heavy. My opinions anyway.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Tim, I totally agree with you concerning the bulk vs safety factor. The 10mm seems to be a good compromise between a large round with a lot of stopping power (heavy revolvers), but still light enough to carry in the backcountry. This is a self-defense round, not a primary hunting weapon when I'm carrying it. If I was hunting, I'd opt for something with a longer barrel and perhaps a magnum.

I'm looking hard at the Glock 20SF model. Seems to be the best option on weight and handing.

Last edited:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
A Glock 20 would be on my very short list if I decided to carry a 10mm. For me, I'd likely be more effective with the semi-auto 10mm, vs the 44 mag revolver in terms of hitting my target. I've had much more practice with the semi and the striker fired trigger vs a revolvers DA trigger. I'd make sure to put 250 or so rounds thru the semi to make sure of its feed and function, then happily carry it for woods defense anywhere in North America outside of Brown bear areas, I'd carry a shot gun there, those Brownies are huge.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Yeah, the Glock 20 is small/light enough to carry, but does have the full length grip (SF only being thinner) and 4" barrel.
Thanks Tim!

scubohuntr

May 9, 2017
Montana
Tim, I totally agree with you concerning the bulk vs safety factor. The 10mm seems to be a good compromise between a large round with a lot of stopping power (heavy revolvers), but still light enough to carry in the backcountry. This is a self-defense round, not a primary hunting weapon when I'm carrying it. If I was hunting, I'd opt for something with a longer barrel and perhaps a magnum.

I'm looking hard at the Glock 20SF model. Seems to be the best option on weight and handing.
https://www.460rowland.com/ Just sayin'...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
WOW- Someone had some time on their hands. 2017 rewind. :)
This is a nice offering, but you do increase the length of pull and add more weight to the gun. This is one reason I don't like this option. It also does not seem to be very popular for whatever reason. Could be the issues folks have experienced.

I'll still carry my Slim Grip 10mm with Underwood ammo in Grizz country any day. That conversion kit is a cool wildcat type option to read about.