When do you start...

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I research different units every day, some of them over and over. When I draw a tag I try to forget about it until about a month before I leave. Thats when I start getting excited about it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I try to only plan year to year pretty much. Too many other red herrings to deal with. Scheduling the Alaska bear hunt was way to stressful for me. They make you apply about 2 years ahead of time. (Which is ridiculous IMO).

Reactions: Prerylyon

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
After the initial excitement of drawing a tag there’s always a couple month lull, real excitement usually starts about a month out. 3-5 year planning and general excitement about next season never stops.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
about the time the hunt is over. I used to dream of the next hunt from the time I began to plan it.
nowadays it seems the hunt is more something I should do than something I look forward to. I haven't drawn a decent tag in twenty years and I don't really enjoy the shitshow of the general hunts as much as I used to.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I’m struggling this year, my knee is jacked up again amd I have a pinched nerve in my neck causing numbness in my right hand. On top of that no tags drawn this year, general seasons in Oregon is my only opportunity. Typically I do ok on general season hunts but it’s been 5 years since I’ve had success and it’s not getting any easier. I’m more excited for ‘23 than ‘22

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I'm thinking about the next hunt while I'm on the road (both ways) for the present one. Right now I better kick start on my archery practice, do some more range time with two rifles, start the pack training, etc. I hope to have years of hunting ahead of me, but this year may well be my last on top of the mountain, over the edge, solo trip out west. Yesterday, I got a 2021 pickup with 6,500 mile on it to replace a 2011 that has left me in the clutch way too many times, so I bit the bullet and got something that wasn't going to leave me stranded (again). I have most of the gear that I need, and prepping the food will take some planning. Two elk tags in my pocket and an empty freezer is all the inspiration that I need.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
365 days, 24/7; as my wife will attest, I'm always scheming some way to get out hunting!

Maybe I didn't quite answer the question, as I look at other folks responses?

Well, I guess my 'plan' is to get the cheapest tags I can get, and is heavily centered on WY. Unless someone returns a tag, or some rancher finally returns a call, I will not be hunting out west in '22; since with the tag reductions and some WY residents applying, drawing, & tearing their reduced price tags up, there was less in the kitty, and the draw was unkind to me! lol All is not lost though. Plan B this year is to spend more time chasing Iowa whitetails in my backyard.

Looking ahead, 90/10 realities in WY will probably push me to cash my deer points on a general unit in '23, or blow the antelope points; either one, right after the other (subsequent years), if family, work, finances support me in getting out of their 'Ponzi' scheme for non residents ASAP! Will cling to my elk points as long as I can, in the hopes of a outfitted hunt in the mountains when I retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckbob

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Constant planning, always an adventure to go on. Whether it is just adding more time to the local things or bigger adventures that I need to save for in order to commit.

Reactions: Buckbob