GoshenGrunter

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Howdy! Been on here for a month or so and just saw this board. A little about me-

My names Jake. Im 27 and married to a wonderful school teacher (who is a killin machine...in training) ;-)

I grew up in Taylorsville, KY and began hunting in 1999 at the age of 13. Since then I've hunted mainly whitetails and eastern turkeys in KY and Oh. I was given a great opportunity in 2004 to take an apprentice PH internship with a large outfitter in South Africa where we hunted plains game, elephant, lion and rhino. That same year I won an essay contest through SCI and got to take a 10 day hunt to New Zealand. In addition, I have worked in taxidermy since 2001. I no longer do any professional work but I still enjoy tinkering and am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to the art. (questions welcome)

I moved to Ohio in 2006 and began guiding turkey hunters in 2007. I work as a part time Police Officer a Full time construction worker and do some contract work instructing firearms, ccw, and self defense . The last 3 years I've taken 3 black bear with some new friends in North Carolina. The biggest was a 270 lb bruin taken in 2013 but the most exciting was a 225 pounder boar taken at 4 steps in full charge in 2012.

I write for an outdoor website/webshow called fromtheblind.com Below are two articles from Africa and my black bear hunt in 2012.

http://www.fromtheblind.com/general-outdoors/the-hunt-of-ibhubesi/

http://www.fromtheblind.com/general-outdoors/a-bear-of-a-hunt/

2014 Will be my first ever trip out west and I must say I'm already bit by the "West Bug"

Thank you all for you help and advice. I look forward to many year on this site.

As a side note If anyone is ever planning a trip to hunt deer or turkey in southern Ohio or a safari in Africa- fire away at the questions and hopefully I can return some Guidance!

In the near future I plan on doing some in depth videos and articles on caping heads and preserving from the field,

Attachments

Last edited:

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
I would of give ya better advise on WY if I had known all that! LOL Just kidding! Welcome to EF:)
lol thanks! Once I throw the "I'm a cop" card, I never know what info Ill get! Where I bear hunt is moonshine country. Every time I meet someone new my friend says "hey this is Ohio (what they call me) He's the law" as if to hint not to try to sell me shine haha. I get a kick out of it!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Good lord! Where do you find time to hunt? Your a busy guy GG. Cops are welcome, theres quite a few around helping out with pointers. Welcome the ef!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
lol thanks! Once I throw the "I'm a cop" card, I never know what info Ill get! Where I bear hunt is moonshine country. Every time I meet someone new my friend says "hey this is Ohio (what they call me) He's the law" as if to hint not to try to sell me shine haha. I get a kick out of it!
I dont mind cops, they take things well, atleast my girlfriends brother does;)

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Welcome GG and a super introduction! My wife loves to hunt too. Nothing better than your wife being your favorite hunting partner!

Oh to be 27 years old again…lol.
No doubt! Turkey hunting is her favorite. I can keep her in a deer stand as long as its warm. Ahe wanted to hit WY w me this year but cant get the time off work.

BTW- i'm super jealous of all your sheep!

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
there's a fair share of Dbags in the profession. I just like people and talking. I love making traffic stops during deer season to BS with hunters about their deer! They are always happy to brag! lol

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
No doubt! Turkey hunting is her favorite. I can keep her in a deer stand as long as its warm. Ahe wanted to hit WY w me this year but cant get the time off work.
Welcome! Watching my wife shoot a strutter is one of my favorite things in this world.

Glad to have you!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Mine's a dead eye. Women are so much easier to teach to shoot than men![/QUOTE

Welcome. You are so right! I've been teaching the fairer sex to shoot for years. They usually have no bad habits to cure and want to learn. Once you get them started right, they really do well. I've been a competitive shooter for over 50 years (Trap, Skeet, Bulls Eye Pistol, Cowboy Action, Bench Rest and 1000yd BP single shot rifle) and have seen lots great women shooters.

Look forward to more posts on a great forum with lots of great members.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
Colorado Cowboy;75287I've been teaching the fairer sex to shoot for years. They usually have no bad habits to cure and want to learn. Once you get them started right said:
I remember my drill sergeant telling us pretty much the same thing in basic training. He asked, "how many of you have never shot a weapon?" When half the platoon raised their hands, he said "good, y'all don't have any bad habits I have to fix."

--------

Welcome!

Last edited: