on my way to montana!

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
looks like they posted the draws for the nonres and it looks like team thump & dump got some tags. I know this wasn't to surprising considering they had over 1000 left over in the big game combo. nevertheless I am excited to get some tags and I hope we are successful.

eye in sky

Mar 4, 2011
Conifer, Colorado
My group drew as well. We are excited too. We're looking forward to a trip to the Treasure State to chase some critters to fill our freezers. Maybe if we're lucky we might get a limited tag in June.

snortwheeze

Feb 21, 2011
Hey guys, my buddy and I drew the big game combo also, and we are pumped! We are looking to do a backcountry archery hunt. I was looking at 362 or possibly 332. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
wow! it looks like thee are a few of us Eastman followers that got tags. I am excited, I am thinking that since I am an Idahoan I will stay mainly in the southern part of the state close to the Idaho boarder. Mainly because diesel is at 4.20 now and if it keeps going up it will be hard to travel far distances. any ideas for the southern part would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited:

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
mainly a base camp hunt, we don't have horses. And we are not a afaid to backpack in for a few days. thanks futboler

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
depends, I want to be able to leave the truck and pack in a little ways but if there's a few roads around it won't bother me, i don't like to drive around much! mostly just want to know where I can find elk, having never been in any country in MT except on the hiways, i would like to know if some of the units are worth my time even to go scout. any help would be great, I can pour over maps all day, but maps don't show you animals. I can hunt hard just don't want to spend a week miles from no where and not see any animals if you know what I mean.

MT Muley

Mar 22, 2011
Montana
wow! it looks like ther are a few of us eastman followers that got tags. I am excited, I am thinking that since I am an Idahoan I will stay mainly in the southern part of the state close to the Idaho boarder. Mainly because diesle is at 4.20 now and if it keeps going up it will be hard to travel far ditances. any ideas for the southern part would be greatly appreciated. thanks
diesle? boarder? ther? ditances?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
depends, I want to be able to leave the truck and pack in a little ways but if there's a few roads around it won't bother me, i don't like to drive around much! mostly just want to know where I can find elk, having never been in any country in MT except on the hiways, i would like to know if some of the units are worth my time even to go scout. any help would be great, I can pour over maps all day, but maps don't show you animals. I can hunt hard just don't want to spend a week miles from no where and not see any animals if you know what I mean.
The Absarokas are big country that are best hunted long and deep, usually on horseback. Elk populations are pretty low there right now due to wolf predation. The Bridgers, Bangtails, and Crazies all have elk, and can be hunted in the style you mention. Being flexible, and moving to find the elk is a great strategy.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I am willing to travel so hopefully, i can narrow it down to one or two good ranges, I know MT has a lot of nice bulls and a lot of area to cover

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
one more question, I plan on hunting the archery season as well, would any of the regions in the centeral to south central be good for archery?