Wolves in Central WY!

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
A wolf was photographed this morning near Lakeshore Drive by Alcova Reservoir. Check out K2radio.com to see the photos. Guys and Gals coming to WY, make sure you are prepared to take care of business in the predator zones here in WY. You never know what you may see this fall and we need to be sure we do our part as sportsman and conservationists to properly manage this predator wisely for the sake of the game we chase.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
amen! dont let it get as bad as idaho let it get. dispite what they say, i believe there are wolves in every unit here now.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
So if I understand correctly, if I happen to see a wolf while mule deer hunting in the Big Horns I can shoot it with no prior license or permit at all? Would I need to notify WY G&F?

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
So if I understand correctly, if I happen to see a wolf while mule deer hunting in the Big Horns I can shoot it with no prior license or permit at all? Would I need to notify WY G&F?
Yes you can and u do need to contact game and fish

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
SSS (shoot, shovel, shutup)
Cowboy, we don't have to in Wyoming (for the most part) That wolf at Alcova Reservoir is well in the "Shoot on sight, no license needed" zone. They have the same protection as a coyote...none! Wolves are protected in and about Yellowstone park and a few zones outside the park or "Trophy wolf areas" and there are quotas, maybe 25% of the state...if a wolf finds himself outside said areas (the 75%) they have zero protection and can and SHOULD be shot on sight, and not with a camera either.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Wyoming has the right idea when it comes to these animals. The law has been in effect to shoot on sight but sightings like this show that the wolves will still spread even when they are in open season over most of the state.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I know, but when it comes to wolves, I just get ticked off about the whole situation. It won't be long until we will have the same problem here in Colorado. US F&W gave is Coloradians a problem with wolves to the north & south also.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im glad WY stuck it out and got the predator and trophy zones passed so they can be killed legally anytime in most of the state!

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
A wolf was photographed this morning near Lakeshore Drive by Alcova Reservoir. Check out K2radio.com to see the photos. Guys and Gals coming to WY, make sure you are prepared to take care of business in the predator zones here in WY. You never know what you may see this fall and we need to be sure we do our part as sportsman and conservationists to properly manage this predator wisely for the sake of the game we chase.
I guess that means they are in the Rattlesnake Mtns. ( don't like calling 8,800 ft. Hills) now. That means they could be running around on my property. Nice. Take care of them before area 89 deer goes downhill. Do you think the wolves have already spread that far or released there ? I read somewhere that they want to release them in Co.,Ut., N.M.,Az. (not Mexican wolf) and other states also. I think Ut. said it doesn't want wolves and any found there can be shot.

hoshour

Veteran member
They released the original wolves in Yellowstone in 1995 and 1996, 17-18 years ago. It's surprising they haven't spread out further.

According to the WYGF, as of 12/31/2011 there were "224 wolves, 36 packs, and 19 breeding pairs outside Yellowstone National Park." It wouldn't surprise me if that was a low estimate. They multiply quickly. Shoot all you can. Around 300 would be good.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
2010 Trip 010.JPGThe "huggers" want wolves in every state and I think the best way to change their minds would be to put a pack in Central Park and let them see how soft and cuddly they are! As far as in Wyoming, the wolves are moving out and a few are even all the way over in the Bighorns, but they're trying to keep it quiet. A pack killed 30+ sheep one night in August three years ago on the ranch right next to where I hunt on the west slope. A friend of mine in Worland knows the Father of the area Federal trapper/hunter that was assigned to the case and I met him one day while visiting over there. His son shot three out of the pack from an airplane and what he figures was the alpha male had a collar with information showing it was collared north of Yellowstone Park up in Montana, which is a long way from our hunt area. They have kept it very quiet, but we know there are still some in the area because we saw the track in the attached picture a year later while we were mending fences on the ranch adjacent to where the sheep were killed.

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia

Ilovethewest

Jul 11, 2012
Wisconsin
if we tag out early by buffalo this fall, I plan to do some predator calling. Calling in a wolf would be cool. We have our own wolf problem in Wisconsin. For thr record, I am not for exterminating anything. No problem with wolves in general, they just need to be tightly controlled, and in small manageable numbers. From state to state, the wolf pop has exploded and needs to be drastically reduced. We finally had a wolf hunt last fall in northern WI. Its about time.

any ranchers in the powder river area that need some yotes shot, PM me. Hopefully we tag out early and I will gladly do my best to rid you of some yotes.

JasonGNV

Very Active Member
Jul 17, 2013
Smith
I run hounds here in NV and I'm thankful they're not here YET! There has been word of sightings in the Jarbidge area. I've read several accounts of hounds men losing their dogs in Idaho, Montana last winter due to wolves. One from Idaho I believe was tracked into Northern Cali awhile back. You guys do your best to drop the numbers for us fellas a little further south. They are spreading like the plague and need to be handle appropriately!

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
In Michigan's UP a lot of guys run snowshoes with beagles. Most everyone has lost dogs to the wolves as have quite a few bird dog guys. I guess that since the deer have all been wolfed up they need to eat something. Hate the bastards.