D14 bucks

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Wow, them are some dandy bucks!! That bedded buck is a toad!! huge body and cool forkie rack!!
I let a local who drew Paunsagaunt tag hunt my property when I met him trespassing on it when I was pulling out camp trailer. I showed him some pics of the buck from July (it was August and I was bowhunting on Kiabab). He said he saw that buck that morning. I gave him the pics and my address. He sent me an article about a guy who shot the buck with bow but couldn't enter it in P&Y becauce he had a scope on his bow....??? The guy was an official scorer for Ut. big game and sent me a copy of Ut. big game records. Pretty cool huh ?

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I let a local who drew aaunsagaunt tag hunt my property when I met him trespassing on it when I was pulling out camp trailer. I showed him some pics of the buck from July (it was August and I was bowhunting on Kiabab). He said he saw that buck that morning. I gave him the pics and my address. He sent me an article about a guy who shot the buck with bow but couldn't enter it in P&Y becauce he had a scope on his bow....??? The guy was an official scorer for Ut. big game and sent me a copy of Ut. big game records. Pretty cool huh ?
Wait don't tell me, I bet it was a Vortex Viper scope on that bow!!! What ever.......lol

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Leaving tomarrow afternoon for D-14 archery deer opener on Saturday,if I happen to see a bear I got one of those tags too! Hopefully I'll have some pics to post when I get back, if not, there's still 2 months to fill that deer tag. Everythings packed up and ready to grab as soon as I get home from work. We had a nice thunderstorm down poor today so the ground should be good and damp for a steath stock all weekend.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
That's great ! Hope you are near the east side for bear... I look to the north and it looks like the mtns are getting hammed with rain. I hope so. I't does nothing here to the south but look threatining and not rain. Hunt well my friend and go silent with great smell's and with the wet ground. Let the hunt God's be with you and be safe. Hope to see some pics successful or not. Doesn't matter. Have fun !

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Yea, as I was leaving work today in Highland.......it was raining really,really hard! I hope it dose it again this weekend, I love hunting in what most call bad weather.

Arrowhead Hunter

Sep 4, 2012
Lake arrowhead ca
Hey y'all.
Brand new to the site and can't believe the pics. Bigshot, u seem to have d14 figured out for sure. All other forums seem to just wanna talk about how lame d14 has gotten. I'm a new hunter with this only being my second year ever. I live five minutes from the gun range off 173, so that's naturally my first in hunting area. I would love some advice on technique and better yet maybe some good areas. Bigshot, I see u mentioned an archery only area that is good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pm or just reply works for me. Thanks

fire_man_luke

Sep 22, 2012
I've hunted D14 for about 10 years now, I started hunting with my dad when I was 16. Of course, back then hunting consisted of going out on the weekends and hoping we'd see even a doe at times. Now that I'm a older and hunting has become a passion rather than a hobby, I find myself up there in the woods more days than not during the season and have abandoned the pinnacles because of all the other hunters that frequent there. I've been succesful in arrowing bucks in D14 the last two years but they don't compare to bigshots by any means. One was a 2x2 and the other was a wider 2x3. I'm still hoping to see a 4x soon let alone shoot one. I missed a girthy 3x3 this year as I thought he was 35 yards out instead of 45. Missed right below him. I think he was just passing through the area as I haven't got him on a game camera or haven't seen him in the area since.

Hey Bigshot, most of your bigger bucks look like really open areas, not really ideal for bows, think you would of had a chance at any had you not had your rifle? Maybe I'm hunting in too dense of areas if I wanted a chance at a 4x, thoughts?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I've hunted D14 for about 10 years now, I started hunting with my dad when I was 16. Of course, back then hunting consisted of going out on the weekends and hoping we'd see even a doe at times. Now that I'm a older and hunting has become a passion rather than a hobby, I find myself up there in the woods more days than not during the season and have abandoned the pinnacles because of all the other hunters that frequent there. I've been succesful in arrowing bucks in D14 the last two years but they don't compare to bigshots by any means. One was a 2x2 and the other was a wider 2x3. I'm still hoping to see a 4x soon let alone shoot one. I missed a girthy 3x3 this year as I thought he was 35 yards out instead of 45. Missed right below him. I think he was just passing through the area as I haven't got him on a game camera or haven't seen him in the area since.

Hey Bigshot, most of your bigger bucks look like really open areas, not really ideal for bows, think you would of had a chance at any had you not had your rifle? Maybe I'm hunting in too dense of areas if I wanted a chance at a 4x, thoughts?
Hey Fireman Luke, no, I don't think an archery hunter would of had a shot at any of the larger bucks we took. Most of the big bucks we tagged, were running and chasing does in the open and several hundred yards away. D-14 is a tough place to hunt with a rifle!! Let alone with a bow, my hats off to you archery boys. On a positive note, you guys have a much larger area to hunt due to the new no shooting restrictions (Rifles) around cabins and highways....that's were I'd be spending most of my time. The deer around cabins are used to seeing people and will not be as skittish. Obtain a copy of the new legal shooting map and scout, scout, scout, did I mention to scout. You can find the maps in Bass Pro and Turners sporting goods. Good luck brother.

Last edited: