D14 bucks

fire_man_luke

Sep 22, 2012
I talked to a Forest Service LEO about that map, she said there was some legal weight to the maps as it was brought up as an authoritative document in a legal case when pinning a wildfire ignition on some target shooters. Apparently Manzanita Flats Shooting Range is in the no rifle zone? (Haven't verified if its true yet) However, she was adamant that anyone can shoot a rifle anywhere in the National Forest as long as it was safe, responsible, and 150 yards away from dwellings, roads, etc. In addition, the mountain communities are not incorporated cities, so they fall under County responsibility and law. I've asked several SB County Sheriff Officers,(they'd be the ones enforcing a County code) none of which could tell me if it was legal/illegal to shoot a rifle in a certain area. That map says it's ok to shoot a rifle in a residential area next to Lake Arrowhead Elementary school but you can't near Manzanita Flats or Heaps Peak? I think these kind of inconsistencies is why most hunters out there just disregard that map to begin with, nobody will enforce it and sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

I try to scout more each year as I find more spots holding deer. Lately, that's what archery season turns into, a 23 day long scouting session! Thanks for the advice!

AMS

Sep 24, 2012
Hi everyone,
New to this forum but live in Running Springs and have hunted the past two seasons in D14. 2010 was my first year hunting and I'm teaching myself. Good to see people are successful here. Truth is I've seen alot of bucks and a couple huge ones last year and this year so keep at it. An old 5x2 was hit about a month age right near the top of the 330. There's deer every where, they are just hard to find and hunt. This past winter was pretty dry but there is still alot of vegatation and it seems like there was alot of breeding/ numbers due to the previous two winters. There's also alot of deer getting hit between Pali mountain and Kuffle canyon. Just got back last night from San Gorgonio and wasn't successful during archery season but can't wait for rifle to start.
Alan

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hi everyone,
New to this forum but live in Running Springs and have hunted the past two seasons in D14. 2010 was my first year hunting and I'm teaching myself. Good to see people are successful here. Truth is I've seen alot of bucks and a couple huge ones last year and this year so keep at it. An old 5x2 was hit about a month age right near the top of the 330. There's deer every where, they are just hard to find and hunt. This past winter was pretty dry but there is still alot of vegatation and it seems like there was alot of breeding/ numbers due to the previous two winters. There's also alot of deer getting hit between Pali mountain and Kuffle canyon. Just got back last night from San Gorgonio and wasn't successful during archery season but can't wait for rifle to start.
Alan
Looks like you have been doing your homework and are ahead of the curve ! I hate to see bucks get hit by cars. Kind of like it's always the big bucks that lions kill. I think older/big bucks chose to fight instead of run maybe ??? Another topic I suppose.

AMS

Sep 24, 2012
I think I have things figured out but I ve been suprised this year already. I know there's at least two lions in a certain area but still a lot of deer and I can't figure that out. In the local newspaper up here there was actually a buck that jumped in a guys truck and smacked him in the face, try to figure that one out! You can shoot rifle in the manzanita flats area from the 330 to the 38 from the 18 down to the dam. Only spots really off limits in that section is near snow valley, the flat area south of big bear lake, and as you get down to residential area of east highland. Its pretty much based on common sense and you should be fine.

AMS

Sep 24, 2012
To fire man luke, heaps peak area is kinda sketchy. The boyscouts get pretty upset if you are on or apparently near their land. South of the 18 is good to go but not very nice country.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I talked to a Forest Service LEO about that map, she said there was some legal weight to the maps as it was brought up as an authoritative document in a legal case when pinning a wildfire ignition on some target shooters. Apparently Manzanita Flats Shooting Range is in the no rifle zone? (Haven't verified if its true yet) However, she was adamant that anyone can shoot a rifle anywhere in the National Forest as long as it was safe, responsible, and 150 yards away from dwellings, roads, etc. In addition, the mountain communities are not incorporated cities, so they fall under County responsibility and law. I've asked several SB County Sheriff Officers,(they'd be the ones enforcing a County code) none of which could tell me if it was legal/illegal to shoot a rifle in a certain area. That map says it's ok to shoot a rifle in a residential area next to Lake Arrowhead Elementary school but you can't near Manzanita Flats or Heaps Peak? I think these kind of inconsistencies is why most hunters out there just disregard that map to begin with, nobody will enforce it and sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

I try to scout more each year as I find more spots holding deer. Lately, that's what archery season turns into, a 23 day long scouting session! Thanks for the advice!
If this is true and the map has no weight, then I know of some big bucks that are in deep trouble, cause I'll be hunting them with my 7mm saum!! Thanks for the heads up.

Ihuntca

Sep 20, 2012
So cal
I scouted D-14 this week end. It looks drier than last year. Lot's of sign at 5k to 8k. I jumped this deer on a road. Prints showed 3 does with it moving down in elevation. Saw lots of bear sign and a bobcat too. 1N09 is locked at Bear Creek. What's with that?

10-7-12 d-14 doe.JPG

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I scouted D-14 this week end. It looks drier than last year. Lot's of sign at 5k to 8k. I jumped this deer on a road. Prints showed 3 does with it moving down in elevation. Saw lots of bear sign and a bobcat too. 1N09 is locked at Bear Creek. What's with that?

View attachment 4310
Welcome to the forum Ihuntca, That gate has been locked since the begining of the year as far as I know. The forest station told me because the roads were un drivible due to storms last winter??????? Who really knows? They also said they don't know when they will open it.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hi everyone,
Alan
Did you see any deer in San Gorgonio. Planning to hike in On Monday after the opener for a few days.

AMS

Sep 24, 2012
There was deer sign where I went and for sure some good bucks if you put in the work. There was a group of hikers going to the summit in the campground i was hiking to the night before. They had a fire and the way the wind works there it probably did a good job of busting everything out. Theres lots of trails, scat, and beds. Which part are you heading towards? PM me if you want and ill let you know if ive been there and what i did or didnt find.

tonytrim

Oct 6, 2012
So Cal
Hello everyone. I'm a first year hunter to D14 for deer. Went to D19 this weekend with my brother-in-law and saw lots of doe but no luck with the buck. Does anyone know if the forest service road gates open on opening weekend?

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Does anyone know if the forest service road gates open on opening weekend?
There is tons of gates open.............some they keep shut for longer periods of time. I knew of some gates that have been closed for up to five years, untill just recently. Shut gates don't bother me, it just keeps the lazy/road hunters out?

Nut138

Oct 16, 2012
I'm new to this site and just read ur posts. Very nice work. I have had zero success hunting d14. I only see doe. I have tried different locations and put in a lot of time. I'm getting frustrated and annoyed. Can u give me some info please?

abowtro

Oct 9, 2012
I'm new to this site and just read ur posts. Very nice work. I have had zero success hunting d14. I only see doe. I have tried different locations and put in a lot of time. I'm getting frustrated and annoyed. Can u give me some info please?
There are bucks there but very hard to find .got one on Sunday where have you been looking?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
There are bucks there but very hard to find .got one on Sunday where have you been looking?
Hey abowtro, lets see some pictures of your D14 buck. Our hunting party shot two forkies over the opening day weekend. I passed up a forkie yesterday.

Last edited:

Nut138

Oct 16, 2012
Abowtro. I have tried multiple spots. Only does. That's all I ever see. I'll pm u.
Bigshot I tried to pm u to but ur mailbox is full