Bait for DP traps

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
What bait do you use in your DP traps? I have used sardines and marshmallows. Sardines seem to work better than the marshmallows but are extremely messy. Any better ideas?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Cat food with a solocup covering the trap with a squirt of grape jelly on top of the cup....
This works...I promise.

Waiting on these rains to pass then I am going to get my traps out for a couple months here in GA.

Reactions: dan maule

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I mix cheap cat food, mini marshmallows, and give it a drizzle of fish oil. I keep it in gallon zip lock bags- works great from one season to the next. Fill trap up to just below the trigger, leave a couple bits on the ground, and cover with a golf ball. The golf ball keeps the mice out, and most moisture, but is easily removed by the raccoon.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Seems like there needs to be an odor to draw them.

marshmallows is easiest, catfood is cheapest but neither can draw from a distance. Hence the grape jelky, sardine oil, etc.

wife wants chickens. I’ll be getting into the game once that happens. Lots of coons and possums around here.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Seems like there needs to be an odor to draw them.

marshmallows is easiest, catfood is cheapest but neither can draw from a distance. Hence the grape jelky, sardine oil, etc.

wife wants chickens. I’ll be getting into the game once that happens. Lots of coons and possums around here.
Fish oil can be smelled from a long ways. If you want an even stronger smell without the mess, add a few drops of shellfish oil to the catfood mixture. My traps are 10 years old currently and have never had to be washed.

Reactions: Rich M

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fish oil can be smelled from a long ways. If you want an even stronger smell without the mess, add a few drops of shellfish oil to the catfood mixture. My traps are 10 years old currently and have never had to be washed.
I've seen that some folks like to use anise/licorice.

My dad had an armadillo digging a hole and set a 1-sided havahart trap facing the hole. got nothing, I suggested he flip it around. He's all excited this morning that he got an opossum. Not exactly sure what he's gonna do with it, but his trap worked.