D14 bucks

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Very nice bucks, thanks for sharing HuntWYODon.

I went out scouting today and saw four legal bucks. I was able to take photos of two, the other two were too far and my camera would not focus on them. I'm going to look into getting an adapter for my spotter. Here are the bucks....

100_0592.jpg100_0593.jpg100_0594.jpg100_0595.jpg

Last edited:

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Very nice bucks, thanks for sharing HuntWYODon.

I went out scouting today and saw four legal bucks. I was able to take photos of two, the other two were too far and my camera would not focus on them. I'm going to look into getting an adapter for my spotter. Here are the bucks....

View attachment 3845View attachment 3846View attachment 3847View attachment 3848
That's cool bigshot, that one is a pretty big forky. Seeing your pics makes me want to go back up there to scout!

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Yea he is a trophy forkie hahaha, typical southern cali deer and their screwed up genes. He'll probly stay a forkie all his life.
Yeah he probably will ! Looks to be at least 20 in. already. I saw a huge forky in Az. unit 21 that I used to archery bow hunt for javalina and deer all the time in Jan.. I hunted this same buck on three 3 day trips in a row. From my house to where he was was almost 400 mi.. He had a rack like a longhorn steer and was 34 to 36 in wide. I even had 2 taxidermist friend's give me the same spread. I won't get into the stories about the stalks on him but never got him. I actually got two stalks on him the last trip. I have pictures of him with does and two weeks later he was done with them and by himself and limping. Maybe from a fight. I wished I had a Nov. rifle tag instead.I have another picture of a giant forky laying down in Yosemite Park that is at least 28 in. If I come across the pics I'll take a pic with phone and post them. Forkie's for life !

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a 24"w x 22"h forkie on my wall! An absolutely beautiful mount! A biologist with F & G validated the tag and told me it was a pretty old deer. He said a lot of times when they get just past their "prime", their antlers will revert back instead of gain points. He called it a "Pacific Buck". Regardless, it was a great buck, shot it in 1969 in D7. Big body, weighted 179# field dressed. There were 3 bucks moving together in some pretty thick manzanita brush and all I could see was horns, all were nice shooter bucks (at leasy for me). I held on a small opening about 100 yards away and slightly downhill and when the first one moved thru it, I popped him. My hunting buddy worked down to where the buck was and I started down to start gutting him. I asked how big he was and he said "Just a Forkie". I yelled no way, when I got to the deer he had the biggest grin on his face and just about fell over laughing.

I'll get a picture and post it. I think it might be already on my Profile. It's the last one, only one with 2 images. Bottom pict.

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hey CC, just saw the pictures in your profile, "Man," you have taken some nice cali bucks!! The one tied to the horse, looks to be around 30 inches wide.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I have...got a couple over 30" over the years. That one was 31" (if I remember correctly!) All of them were taken in D7 backcountry.
That's pretty awesome for D7 ! Won't find taht any more !
Hey CC, did you see the thread about anybody hunted X10 ? I posted and mentioned you might know more than me.
Maybe you bigshot or Muleys 24/7 may have also. Been a long time since I did and didn't have much info for him. It's in the "mule deer" section.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Archery opens next weekend! Did you get a bow Bigshot? I have to take mine to basspro today because the elastic piece that go's from my string to the peep sight broke! I just happened this morning, better now than opening morning.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Archery opens next weekend! Did you get a bow Bigshot? I have to take mine to basspro today because the elastic piece that go's from my string to the peep sight broke! I just happened this morning, better now than opening morning.
Na, I hav'nt bought a bow yet. I ended up buying a Garmin 550t GPS instead, and several of the 25k SD cards for Wyoming, CA, and Colorado. I'll get one next year, I never should have given my kid my bow!! lol....good luck on your bow hunt, maybe I'll run into you while I'm scouting.

Last edited:

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Nice GPS, isn't there another model of that for $100 bucks more that comes with the whole US topo already pre loaded? I was just checking out new GPS the other day and I thought that's what the guy said. He was saying it was cheaper to buy that than all the SD cards?

Thanks for the good luck, I'm going to need it! My scouting hasn't been going that good. I probley have better luck getting my first bear this year. I think I know were one travels or lives. As far as deer go's, it's looking like tag soup in D-14 again because I'm not going to pop another forky....unless it's a huge one.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I went to pull a couple trail cams today, It seems I get more mountain lion pics than deer!
That sux as far as seeing more MT Lion than deer. I will send you a PM regarding some good archey only areas you can try that are loaded with bucks.
My GPS does come with all the US TOPO maps already down loaded, but they are in 100k, which does not show alot of detail up close. The TOPO's I purchased come in 24K, and when I hover over private property, they provide the land owners info in case I need to ask for permission to trespass.

Last edited:

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
You must have the one I was looking at with the preloaded stuff, thats pretty neat about the private prop thing. It sounds like your getting ready for a wilderness hunt with all the new gear you've been getting? I'll probey stick with my Garman rhino 530hcx this year and then upgrade next year. thanks for the PM

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hey Muley's and bigshot. I think a while back we were talking about big forked horns or maybe it was another thread I don't know. I was searching for some pics yesterday and found the big forkie I took pics of in Yosemite in 1991 and big forkie I hunted in Az. unit 21 late archery in 1989. I couldn't find the best pic though. I also included a buck I took a pic of on 30 acres I owned on the Paunsagaunt Plateau, Ut. in July 1994 before I sold it in 1996 and bought 40 acres in Wy..He wasn't even done growing yet. I have some pics of monsters there. I could never draw Paunsagaunt.
Phone pics 499.jpgPhone pics 500.jpgPhone pics 502.jpgPhone pics 501.jpg

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
The first one is wide but forks are not very deep. Thats to bad about not drawing the Paunsagaunt. My dream is to hunt the henerys.
Im just talking about the width not making the book ! I bet he's 28 to 30 in. easy. I've burned my points a couple times on Ut. limited entry deer . Last one was a 28 in. buck in the Book Cliffs 2004 . Phone pics 033.jpg Took this buck in Wy. month later in Wy. Phone pics 038.jpg This buck I took in 12B Az. 28 in. Look at right side , a big fork !Phone pics 040.jpg Sorry if I've posted some pics before. I'm old and don't care. LOL !

Last edited: