4 wheel drive projects

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I have an opinion question for everyone: my 1990 square body that I've posted early in this thread has recently had some weatherstrip/water issues in the rear interior. Currently I have the carpet out and have cleaned it and have cut new floor insulation/padding for under the carpet since the old stuff was soaked.

I'm toying with the idea of not putting the insulation/padding and carpet back in, and instead having a bed liner sprayed in the back end so I don't have to worry about carpet getting dirty and wet anymore. Plus, the rear heater in these old square bodies are prone to leak antifreeze (which mine has) and cause carpet/insulation problems also.

If I do the spray in bed liner, I'll keep the carpet since it is original, but what are your thoughts? Reinstall the carpet or spray in bed liner? I can't decide...

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Id go with the bedliner. The only pro the carpet provides over the bed liner is sound deading.

Reactions: BrandonM

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
40601I thought I was done but I guess as long as I continue to beat up on it I never will be. The wheelie bars I was running are for Aspahlt racing and did t hold up the the abuse of the dirt track , so I’m building a bar that will handle the dirt/sand. I’m using an ATV paddle tire for the simple reason I have a couple laying around, the new design should help with ET and MPH as it will be rolling on the dirt rather than being drug through it like a plow 40600

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
It’s been a fun summer with the Ol black Jeep. Made a dune trip, three sand drags events, local car show and have a 1/8 asphalt race in about a week. Lost the 383 after the sand dune trip so I put the 427 back in.
So 41605416074160841609B33E4635-10C3-4F1A-A79B-7F96FB0902D6.jpeg

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I’ve got it down to a science in the Jeep. I can swap engines in about 10 hours. If I had a spare bell housing, flywheel and clutch set up I could cut a couple hours off it. That’s about another $1500 In parts though.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I picked up a new project yesterday. I’m sure my cousin will take it from me as he is a ford guy and I’m a Chevy guy. Either way either him or I will fix er up. I always like at the late 60’s early 70’s fords. 42083

Reactions: gonhunting247

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I have an opinion question for everyone: my 1990 square body that I've posted early in this thread has recently had some weatherstrip/water issues in the rear interior. Currently I have the carpet out and have cleaned it and have cut new floor insulation/padding for under the carpet since the old stuff was soaked.

I'm toying with the idea of not putting the insulation/padding and carpet back in, and instead having a bed liner sprayed in the back end so I don't have to worry about carpet getting dirty and wet anymore. Plus, the rear heater in these old square bodies are prone to leak antifreeze (which mine has) and cause carpet/insulation problems also.

If I do the spray in bed liner, I'll keep the carpet since it is original, but what are your thoughts? Reinstall the carpet or spray in bed liner? I can't decide...
Well, here's an interesting update on this project: I was finally going to have the cargo area behind the 2nd row seating sprayed with bed liner, BUT...I found this site that details how toxic fumes are perpetually given off from bed liners and they shouldn't be used internally. They offer a different product that is water based for internal use that is nontoxic.

Anyone else ever heard of this??? Here is their website detailing why most bed liners are cancer-causing due to their make-up: https://raybuck.com/bed-liner-inside-truck-cab/

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Well, here's an interesting update on this project: I was finally going to have the cargo area behind the 2nd row seating sprayed with bed liner, BUT...I found this site that details how toxic fumes are perpetually given off from bed liners and they shouldn't be used internally. They offer a different product that is water based for internal use that is nontoxic.

Anyone else ever heard of this??? Here is their website detailing why most bed liners are cancer-causing due to their make-up: https://raybuck.com/bed-liner-inside-truck-cab/
That’s pretty crazy! I know I’ve seen jeeps with that sprayed on the interior floors.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Well, we're making some progress on the '68 burb. We peeled back the floor liner and found some surprises (of course). The hole in the driver's side floor was bigger than anticipated and the passenger side has a large hole in the floor that we didn't know about, but it is coming together! (Plus, my neighbor restored both rows of seats including some custom reupholstery work.)

Attachments

Reactions: mallardsx2