Should have asked for a Warrant

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I saw the video a couple of days ago on another site I use a lot. If it were me in the same situation, I would have sent them packing. No warrant, no talking and get the hell off my property. Come back with a warrant and me and my attorney will talk to you.

Reactions: dan maule

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Unbelievable.

BUT, I actually know somebody who got a visit from the ATF after purchasing a couple 50 caliber rifles and a couple thousand rounds of ammunition.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
And a visit like that along with the record keeping is one reason that I never obtained a FFL for myself.

But I'm on the fence as to what I would of done. For one I have nothing to hide and if they have a piece of paper in their hand that says what I purchased I might as well as show it to them. Because they will be back with a warrant and with a larger force if know anything about the government

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My understanding was that it was an assortment of 5.56 and 50 bmg.
I’m not really sure how much of what. But I do know that they showed up an unmarked cars. Several of them actually.

Extractor

Jun 7, 2015
Appleton, Wisconsin
No warrant, no entry, no conversation. Unfortunately the police are no longer our friends. If they ask questions, doesn't matter if your "innocent", call an attorney. If your not under arrest, leave, they have no right to detain you.

Reactions: Rich M

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have nothing to hide and these guys were just trying to do their jobs (stopping people from buying guns and handing them over to potential criminals). I’d show them what they wanted to see.
I have no problem with the police.
I have nothing to hide … so no problem.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
I have no problem with the police or nothing to hide either. What I would have a problem with is......... Having to show my legally owned and purchased firearms to someone because they want to make sure I did not break the law. Bullcrap!
The red flag should have happened at the purchase. Not when I'm sitting home eating dinner with my family and the door bell rings. Open the door and be faced by 3 armed men with bullet proof vests wanting proof that I did not give my guns to criminals. All without a warrant. Not to mention dealing with the attention and embarrassment of my neighbors who witnessed all this. Total pressure and intimidation tactics.
This used to be America.
If they went after the criminals as hard as they go after law abiding citizens, they might get something done.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As I mentioned, if you refuse they will be back with a warrant along with more backup.

Why escalate it, just show them what they are looking for and then file a complaint later.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
As I mentioned, if you refuse they will be back with a warrant along with more backup.

Why escalate it, just show them what they are looking for and then file a complaint later.
Why would they be back with a warrant if you did nothing wrong. On what grounds would they be able to procure a warrant if you legally purchased your firearms.
Police are not supposed to knock on peoples' doors and ask to see their guns. Especially if they did nothing wrong as the officer keeps telling this guy in the video. "you did nothing wrong", "you did zero wrong".
I just don't get it.
Condone and allow these types of actions now, see how far the envelope is pushed in the future.

Reactions: marcusvdk

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
The police have very tough jobs normally … and even more so these days.
If they ask me … I’d cooperate with ‘em.
If they asked me, I would cooperate as well. I would tell them "yes, I still have possession of the guns". But I would not retrieve the guns from my safe to have to prove it to them. "nun of their biznez"
The whole thing could have been handled by telephone. Do not need armed officers in BP vests showing up at my door for something like this.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
They were trying to verify that the person still had the firearms still in his possession … so they needed to see them. That can’t be verified with a phone call. Any criminal would just lie to them over the phone.
Although this may be inconvenient for the law abiding folks they check, just think how valuable it is when they do catch a criminal who’s passing on guns to other criminals.
They’re working to do a good thing and stop criminals from getting guns … which is their job, so it is their business.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Why would they be back with a warrant if you did nothing wrong. On what grounds would they be able to procure a warrant if you legally purchased your firearms.
Police are not supposed to knock on peoples' doors and ask to see their guns. Especially if they did nothing wrong as the officer keeps telling this guy in the video. "you did nothing wrong", "you did zero wrong".
I just don't get it.
Condone and allow these types of actions now, see how far the envelope is pushed in the future.
If they are on your property asking questions then they have a reason, at least to themselves they do.

You refuse to comply and ask for a warrant they will simply either go get one or phone someone who will get a warrant while they wait outside of your home. Then with you refusing to give them access they will quite likely consider you hostile no matter how polite you were and ask for backup to enforce the warrant to see your firearms.

I'm no legal expert nor a lawyer but that is the way that I see it going down.

Reactions: Winchester

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
No warrant, no entry, no conversation. Unfortunately the police are no longer our friends. If they ask questions, doesn't matter if your "innocent", call an attorney. If your not under arrest, leave, they have no right to detain you.
Yes, we have rights, but we are also a nation of laws. Most police are public servants that truly do want to do what's right and help people while enforcing our laws. Everybody wants crime to go down, but they also want to give the police a hard time and make their job harder. Are there bad apples in the police, of course! We have a population of over 334 million people, there are bad people sprinkled in every facet of life.
When did our country lose common sense?

These guys were wearing vests and carrying guns because PEOPLE ARE CRAZY! Would you do the work they do without a vest and gun? The gun owner could have refused but for what? Just show them the guns and everybody wins. You are checked off the list and they go on with their duties.

My $.02

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I used to feel the way Alabama feels about this, but my mind got changed a few years ago.

BACKGOUND
I have a Concealed Carry Permit here in Colorado. They are issued by the County you reside in. Here in Colorado anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it in their vehicle loaded and concealed. They can also open carry a firearm. The only person who can legally carry a firearm concealed is one who has the Permit. Concealed Carry Permits require an FBI background check, classes you have to take, fingerprinting, etc.

SITUATION
My wife and I were driving in another county here in Colorado, when I was stopped in a DUI check point. When it was my turn, the officer ask for license and registration. He went to his car and check it out. Came back and asked me if I was carrying. I said carrying what? He said I had a permit and he wanted to know. I told him that I didn't think he needed to know because it was legal for anyone who could legally own a firearm to have one concealed and loaded in their car per Colorado Law. We had a little discussion and his Sargent came over and we talked some more. I asked why someone who had a carry permit and passed all the permit requirements should be subject to more scrutiny than the average gun owner. I also ask how he knew I had a carry permit. Seems like our county sheriff has the option of listing the carry permits online in the state data base and he had. Eventually I went on my way without answering the question. I think the cop had a little attitude about concealed carry. I later had a discussion with our County Sheriff and he doesn't distribute the names of the permit holders anymore.

I just don't trust all the cops. I know they have a difficult job and I wouldn't do it for any amount of money. Most are great people, but asking if I still owned the guns I had legally obtained is really none of their business.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I get it CC.
I’m sure his attitude had a lot to do with it and I certainly wasn’t there to hear that.
But I would interpret his request as wanting to know whether or not the person he’s talking to is armed … and could shoot him.
That seems like a fair request.

Reactions: buckbull

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
They would not have even gotten to ask as the first words through the door from me would have been " do you have a warrant?"
Quickly followed by leave your tresspassing.
No issues with cops but it is my right to be safe and not harassed on my own property.
But they would of had to open gates that are posted and drive a 1/4 mile to the house. So it is different then in town.

Unless they falsify the statement they have no RAS to get a warrant and if they do under false pretenses then they loose qualified immunity and can be sued and charged for perjury.

Biggest question is why do they have a list? There is not supposed to be a registry and background checks are done on people not firearms.

Kick rocks