Utah draw results

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
0 for 7 for me. 10 years in a row and if I draw in the next 10, it will be a miracle. Utah is the only state I regret getting started in. My odds are actually worse now than a couple years after I started applying. General deer will probably be the only thing I ever hunt in UT.

Reactions: El Serio

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That's me, I am so far into it that the odds should be tipping in my favor sooner than later.

I just hope that I can hunt from a motorized wheelchair when I finally draw my bison tag.

I have a lifetime hunting license for deer and small game so I'll be chasing deer with my muzzle loader east of Moab along the Colorado border.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
That's me, I am so far into it that the odds should be tipping in my favor sooner than later.

I just hope that I can hunt from a motorized wheelchair when I finally draw my bison tag.

I have a lifetime hunting license for deer and small game so I'll be chasing deer with my muzzle loader east of Moab along the Colorado border.
I'm jealous of that lifetime tag. As a resident I now find myself waiting 2-3 years for an archery deer tag in the general unit I prefer to hunt, it would be about 4-5 years between rifle tags if I were to go for that. We used to draw general every year, but those days are long gone.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm jealous of that lifetime tag. As a resident I now find myself waiting 2-3 years for an archery deer tag in the general unit I prefer to hunt, it would be about 4-5 years between rifle tags if I were to go for that. We used to draw general every year, but those days are long gone.
When I bought my LL clear back in 1987 the Utah combination license for small game, fishing and a deer tag was around $34. I figured that it would take me 15 years to break even. Even in 1987 my LL number is below 300 and people could purchase them for a few years. But at that time $500 was over a weeks pay and people just didn't think that it was worth it when you could go down to the store and pick a combo license up every year.

I know of a lot of people that kicked themselves in the rear when it was announced in 1994 that they would no longer be sold for the same reason, a person could pick up a state wide combo license whenever they wanted to. But once the tags were dropped down to 93,000 people saw the worth in them.

Then for me a few months after I purchased mine I was told that I no longer had a job where I was working. I could of went up to the Wasatch front but that wasn't for me, so I moved to Colorado and the license came with me. So now for the last 35 years they send me a general season tag of the unit and hunt of my choice.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
When I bought my LL clear back in 1987 the Utah combination license for small game, fishing and a deer tag was around $34. I figured that it would take me 15 years to break even. Even in 1987 my LL number is below 300 and people could purchase them for a few years. But at that time $500 was over a weeks pay and people just didn't think that it was worth it when you could go down to the store and pick a combo license up every year.

I know of a lot of people that kicked themselves in the rear when it was announced in 1994 that they would no longer be sold for the same reason, a person could pick up a state wide combo license whenever they wanted to. But once the tags were dropped down to 93,000 people saw the worth in them.

Then for me a few months after I purchased mine I was told that I no longer had a job where I was working. I could of went up to the Wasatch front but that wasn't for me, so I moved to Colorado and the license came with me. So now for the last 35 years they send me a general season tag of the unit and hunt of my choice.
The historical context is definitely important. At the time the lifetime licenses were phased out it would have taken me two summers of moving sprinklers to pay for that license. Fortunately you stayed close enough to be able to get good use out of your annual tags. I know some people moved away and never got their money's worth. That was a rough time financially for many, my family included. My dad also lost his job at that time and times were pretty lean for several years after that.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
El Serio

If I would of known that I would of been looking for a job a couple of months later I doubt that I would of bought one.

Those first few months in a new state along with a divorce a year earlier came close to bankrupting me. If it wasn't for fishing and rabbit hunting here in Colorado I doubt that I would of enjoyed it very much. That first year I debated about buying a nonresident Colorado deer and elk tag but they would of broke the bank. So I headed to Utah on the deer hunt and shot the first legal buck that I came across.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Jim, I know it seemed like a lot at the time, but that license has paid for itself many times since then! I know you have no regrets. Can you pick any general unit with any weapon type, and you get it for free?

How many points do you have for Bison? I got into Utah after the wave of apps when they made it where NR could start applying for everything instead of 1 regular and 1 OIL species. I can't blame UT though; I could have cut my losses after I understood my future odds in about year 3. I'm just like everyone else and keep sending them money every spring because of that small chance this could be the year I get lucky. I want to hunt a giant UT bull elk before I leave this world.

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Jim, I know it seemed like a lot at the time, but that license has paid for itself many times since then! I know you have no regrets. Can you pick any general unit with any weapon type, and you get it for free?

How many points do you have for Bison? I got into Utah after the wave of apps when they made it where NR could start applying for everything instead of 1 regular and 1 OIL species. I can't blame UT though; I could have cut my losses after I understood my future odds in about year 3. I'm just like everyone else and keep sending them money every spring because of that small chance this could be the year I get lucky. I want to hunt a giant UT bull elk before I leave this world.
I've got 25 bison points and I refuse to do a cow hunt after this many years of putting in. It is a hunters choice hunt or nothing.

Yep, I get that general deer license for free but have to apply as a non resident for any LE or OIL hunts. I do agree that it has paid for itself. Not just in the deer that I have taken but being able to have a tag in my pocket and enjoy the hunts. My brother in law who passed away last year was my time and true hunting partner. He had the opportunity to take off of work and buy one on the last day that they were sold but didn't, he regretted it from then on. But he was always there for me when the deer hunt came around and it didn't matter if he had a tag or not. He was with me on his last Utah deer hunt when I got the buck in my avatar.

I agree with the elk hunt. I managed a 343 bull from the Utah Book Cliffs after 9 years of applying. At that time Utah required the full payment up front, I could afford that elk tag money but could not really justify the bison tag money except for a couple of years. This was back in the 90's.

Calbuck

Feb 7, 2013
Northeastern California
The stars aligned timing wise for me to actually put in (instead of points) for me and my son to make our return to Utah..we drew Pine Valley late rifle and from what I hear its dismal at best. Oh well, we'll go try and find one or two anyway!