.243 Bullet Question

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Now that we have reservations for a 2023 antelope hunt, I've got an excuse to get some more powder and go burn it, but sadly, my .243 bullet selection is weak.

Rifle is a 1:9 Remington 770. Leica ER 2-10x44 on there.

most .243 reloading bullets are not available.

Sierra isnt making the Pro Hunters or Game Kings at this point and i dont have enough, less than 200 Pro Hunters, which are my fav reloading bullet.

Hornady 100 gr interlock or SST 95 gr seem to be about all thats available.

which is better?

Reactions: HuskyMusky

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Now that we have reservations for a 2023 antelope hunt, I've got an excuse to get some more powder and go burn it, but sadly, my .243 bullet selection is weak.

Sierra isnt making the Pro Hunters or Game Kings at this point and i dont have enough, less than 200 Pro Hunters, which are my fav reloading bullet.

which is better?
My favorite bullets for the .243 are all of the nosler variety...have 500 each of 100 grain partitions, old style 100 grain solid base, 90 grain accubond, and 95 grain ballistics tips.

Just bought another 300 of the 95 grain ballistic tips from sps a week or so ago.

If pushed into the despairity of the 2 you listed I'd slum the interlock hornadies but wouldn't be happy about it.

If I were you I'd think about hammer bullets as they are available. I haven't shot them but know lots of folks who do and they are getting great accuracy and results on game.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My boys youth rifles have done well with the 95 grain SST for antelope, whitetail, and mule deer. They do expand a lot up close but at typical antelope distance, they seem to perform very well for us

Reactions: Bonecollector

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
Of the two you mentioned, either would be just fine, try both and hunt with the one your rifle likes best. Other options I see are the Berger VLD 95 grain and the Hornady ELD-X 90 grain. I've used the VLDs in my 270 and the ELD-X bullets in my 30/06, and both have been the most accurate bullets I've used in those two rifles.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

which is better?
the one you can put where it needs to go!

it's just speed goats! don't take much to fell em!

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
My favorite bullets for the .243 are all of the nosler variety...have 500 each of 100 grain partitions, old style 100 grain solid base, 90 grain accubond, and 95 grain ballistics tips.

Just bought another 300 of the 95 grain ballistic tips from sps a week or so ago.

If pushed into the despairity of the 2 you listed I'd slum the interlock hornadies but wouldn't be happy about it.

If I were you I'd think about hammer bullets as they are available. I haven't shot them but know lots of folks who do and they are getting great accuracy and results on game.
Thanks, Buzz. I keep forgetting about SPS. Signed up for notifications.

Of the two you mentioned, either would be just fine, try both and hunt with the one your rifle likes best. Other options I see are the Berger VLD 95 grain and the Hornady ELD-X 90 grain. I've used the VLDs in my 270 and the ELD-X bullets in my 30/06, and both have been the most accurate bullets I've used in those two rifles.

Thanks - I never considered the Bergers, not familiar with them and for whatever reason had considered them a longer bullet and not suitable for Remington factory twist. Same for the ELD-X bullet. Could be wrong...

Gave the Sierra TGK 90 gr and 100 gr a good go and they did not like my rifle - best I got was about 1.5 inch at 100.

the one you can put where it needs to go!

it's just speed goats! don't take much to fell em!
Amen to that. It's just about being able to lay my hands on some bullets.

Had forgotten about SPS. Might be some light on the horizon.

Also short on brass now that it looks like will be working up a load.

Funny how popular the .243 is. I still consider it a light gun for hunting but I don't get the mental battle my 30-06 gives me when I shoot it.

Reactions: kidoggy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Try Berger's Twist rate stability calculator:

That's really neat - thanks!
Only 1 of the bullets is barely stable at 1.5 (95 classic hunter), the others are saying marginally stable.

Signed up for a handful of notifications: Gonna need powder if working up a load - that buys me some time for SPS or others to get some inventory. We'll see.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Wherever you signed up for notification you will need to also watch their web sites every morning. Usually by the time that you are notified the product is gone.

Reactions: Rich M

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I received a response from Sierra:

Hi,
Are you guys going to continue the 100 gr Pro Hunter in .243?
Will you-all be releasing some anytime soon?

Thanks,

Rich M

Of course we will but it will take some time. I don’t have a date to quote you but we are starting to make hunting bullets again and they will be listed for sale on our website as soon as they are made. So far, we have been able to make other bullets if you are interested but since your rifle likes the SPT as well as it does, I would wait until they become available again. I’m hopeful it will be this year when they are but I can’t guarantee anything at the moment. Thank you for your interest and patience.
Philip Mahin
Ballistic Technician

NRA Life Member
1400 W. Henry St. Sedalia, MO 65301
Questions? Call us toll free 800-223-8799

Check out my latest blog post at https://www.sierrabullets.com/resources/x-ring-newsletter/

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
no experience with either of those, have used other 100grs on antelope before,

personally 80 or 85gr TSX bullet is my preference in the .243win.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’ve never really been a .243 fan until I started loading the 80 grain TTSX for my daughters rifle. Great bullet, shoots excellent out of the 1:9 barrel. 3380fps, 20” barrel, 48.3 grains of Superformance. The last 3 years it’s racked up around 20 whitetails, a couple antelope, some coyotes, mule deer, a dozen or more pigs, probably 20 Javelina with close to a dozen different shooters (mostly my daughter’s friends and other first time hunters). That bullet kills well, from 30 yards to a touch over 300.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
RichM,
I have some .243 on the shelf at home. I'm pretty sure Games Kings. I have no use for them. Cant remember the gr either.
I get back CONUS 13 April so bug me about em so I dont forget and I'll send them to ya for shipping cost only if you want them.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
RichM,
I have some .243 on the shelf at home. I'm pretty sure Games Kings. I have no use for them. Cant remember the gr either.
I get back CONUS 13 April so bug me about em so I dont forget and I'll send them to ya for shipping cost only if you want them.
Thank you! I'll follow up in about a month or so.

Reactions: Slugz

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Waiting on a delivery of Win 760 powder. Had just gotten 5# of IMR 4350, then found an 8# jug of 760 - grabbed it. Trying to sell the IMR 4350 locally. If not, just gonna suck it up and hold it for the next shortage.

@Slugz - wanted to follow up regarding the .243 bullets if you still have em. Thanks!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Waiting on a delivery of Win 760 powder. Had just gotten 5# of IMR 4350, then found an 8# jug of 760 - grabbed it. Trying to sell the IMR 4350 locally. If not, just gonna suck it up and hold it for the next shortage.

@Slugz - wanted to follow up regarding the .243 bullets if you still have em. Thanks!
Ill be back in Colorado 2 May. Out chasing turkeys now. Im sorry I forgot to look. Ill make a note Nd get back to ya.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Rich, sps has 90 grain ballistic tips and 90 grain E-tips...I just bought a few hundred of each.