WGFD license proposals 2022, big cuts to Antelope.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Sorry but I don't support the late seasons and yes I will be applying for a license if they pass. I will hunt it hard and be very picky and maybe not shoot a buck.
Maybe I'll take a 3 pt, been hunting those type of bucks for years now, get them out of the gene pool.

1st we're greedy residents now we're hypocrites. My feelings on 90/10 for E, D and A are leaning way more towards supporting it and I haven't until now. Thanks mallardsx2 for changing my mind.
I might think about a big 2 or 3 also if it's a 4 or 5+

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Sorry but I don't support the late seasons and yes I will be applying for a license if they pass. I will hunt it hard and be very picky and maybe not shoot a buck.
Maybe I'll take a 3 pt, been hunting those type of bucks for years now, get them out of the gene pool.

1st we're greedy residents now we're hypocrites. My feelings on 90/10 for E, D and A are leaning way more towards supporting it and I haven't until now. Thanks mallardsx2 for changing my mind.
I believe whether you support it or not, 90/10 is where all western states are going. It's inevitable due to growing populations in those states, decreasing animal populations, and increased awareness by resident hunters. It will sting for a while but the non-resident hunter will still get opportunities.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Colorado is a different animal because of the revenue money from hunting supporting Parks as well as the wildlife. That makes a huge difference.
I agree. I did a lot of volunteer work for Parks when it wasn't part of Wildlife. It was a big mistake for the Governor to combine them. They try to keep the money separated, but it is not possible all the time.

Reactions: ScottR

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Here's what I don't understand. Buzz and his wife, me and my son, and a handful of other people I know ate lots of Antelope tags last year, plus I'm sure there's a lot more people that I don't know of that did the same, and people make comments about how wrong that is. Here we are with G&F doing drastic license reductions in the very hunt areas we intentionally didn't kill Antelope in. So what if a few dozen or hundred more Antelope were dead because we filled those tags? Doesn't seem so dumb that us locals seen a problem and wanted to protect the resource now does it?
Exactly right... sometimes the gf just doesn't get it right.

I've watched the pronghorn hunting around Laramie decline for at least 6-7 years, really bad the last 3 or so.

We filled zero pronghorn tags in 2020, and one of six last year....by choice. It was the right thing to do...resource first.

Maybe we could get together and have a tag shredding party and stream it on zoom so mallardsx2 could throw another tantrum.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
It's your choice. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I doubt if you'll see many NR's doing it. They pay a lot more for tags than residents. Myself, I am just not applying for a tag because I have seen the decline in the units I hunt for at least 5 years.
Not for doe tags....what a couple dollars more?

I do agree 100% with your comment of about when the decline started...that's exactly what I've seen also.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Odd, as your ratty ass was commenting on folks not using their licenses. I have no problem with hunters filling their licenses they draw but as a resident that can afford to not fill some, we do just that every year .
The real shame is that you folks have to make the decision on a personal level (to buy tags and not use them) because the game and fish over issued doe tags for the last several years on a struggling herd of animals. If it makes you feel better I have seen this in many states. We pay a kings ransom for game and fish departments nationwide to do their job and here you are inadvertently doing it for them by not filling them.

And no, it doesn't seem so dumb that you locals see a problem and want to protect the resource. I get it. I shredded many doe tags in my life when the PA game commission tried to decimate the deer herds in Pennsylvania (they almost succeeded)...

But it doesn't change the fact that you are complaining about having a late mule deer season and it will STILL make you a hypocrite if you get the tag and you fill it. Even if it is on a 3 point. And the part I like most of all is the fact that many of you rally for the 90/10 and about wanting MORE tags allocated to residents and here you all are flapping your gums saying that your going to apply for a tag and potentially not use it. lol

Like I said, you can do whatever blows your dress up. I dont care.

I'm done with this topic and I will take my ratty ass to another thread. lol

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
The real shame is that you folks have to make the decision on a personal level (to buy tags and not use them) because the game and fish over issued doe tags for the last several years on a struggling herd of animals. If it makes you feel better I have seen this in many states. We pay a kings ransom for game and fish departments nationwide to do their job and here you are inadvertently doing it for them by not filling them.

And no, it doesn't seem so dumb that you locals see a problem and want to protect the resource. I get it. I shredded many doe tags in my life when the PA game commission tried to decimate the deer herds in Pennsylvania (they almost succeeded)...

But it doesn't change the fact that you are complaining about having a late mule deer season and it will STILL make you a hypocrite if you get the tag and you fill it. Even if it is on a 3 point. And the part I like most of all is the fact that many of you rally for the 90/10 and about wanting MORE tags allocated to residents and here you all are flapping your gums saying that your going to apply for a tag and potentially not use it. lol

Like I said, you can do whatever blows your dress up. I dont care.

I'm done with this topic and I will take my ratty ass to another thread. lol
You were done before you ever started.

No people are not hypocrites because they apply for tags that they oppose. Those deer are dead meat either way, at least those that took the time to oppose them showed up and got involved, will be filling them.

Rather see that than someone like you getting the tag who does absolutely nothing to address any issues in Wyoming...you're a lot of hot air and do nothing but criticize those in the trenches that actually care about wildlife.

Thanks for doing your "best", which is nothing.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Here's what I don't understand. Buzz and his wife, me and my son, and a handful of other people I know ate lots of Antelope tags last year, plus I'm sure there's a lot more people that I don't know of that did the same, and people make comments about how wrong that is. Here we are with G&F doing drastic license reductions in the very hunt areas we intentionally didn't kill Antelope in. So what if a few dozen or hundred more Antelope were dead because we filled those tags? Doesn't seem so dumb that us locals seen a problem and wanted to protect the resource now does it?
It's bad that G&F didn't cut tags sooner. If you guys could see the declines, then the biologists must have been on the verge off a meltdown. I think it's pretty awesome you guys did this. I passed through WY in 2020 after hunting there in 2016 and the difference was night and day when comparing the number of animals observed from the highway.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
If the critters are down, cut the doe tags - all of em. Shooting does is population reduction - say to keep the winter range from being overrun. With the decline of the animals, does should become protected. Such a simple solution.

As for NR's having meltdowns - happens about the same as Rs on some forums.

The whole 90/10 threat - either do it or don't. Just don't drag it out and keep tossing it in our faces. As a NR, we like to plan our hunts, it gives us enjoyment for a year or more - remove that with some BS bonus point thing and steal the ability to plan our hunts a few-5-10 years out - turn it into a win/lose kind of lottery. That hurts more than the not hunting. The loss of the dream or long term plans is a pretty tough pill to swallow.

I don't see anything wrong with late season hunts or applying for tags, even if you openly oppose them. If the deer are gonna die - you might as well be the one pulling the trigger. Just don't get the science behind it, they say the mature bucks have the most prions. What about mature does? Just as old, likely have just as many prions.