WGFD license proposals 2022, big cuts to Antelope.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The threat of 90/10 is there now.

Folks who continue and say nothing has changed may or may not be correct.

right now they are trying to appease the locals with anything. Draw preference, etc. Once that doesnt keep em happy, they have to cut NR numbers and raise prices.

i dont feel like anyone owes NR anything more than fair and truthful information. This is whats gonna happen as of x. Will allow folks to ease out and not cause some crazy bottleneck of high count permit holders. Guess you could call it allowing folks to prepare and execute an exit plan.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
None of us have a crystal ball so if you're that worried then you should spend your PP and get out.
The commission has made it fairly known that they are reluctant to go 90/10 on deer and pronghorn . They are not trying to appease us with anything, they are trying to make equitable changes in the favor of residents. And unfortunately the outfitters are trying to get their voice heard too.
First year of changes will probably be either the leftover draw order or order of draw if I had to guess. But who knows again.

If folks are that worried then they should be getting out, use your PP as soon as you can.
No one knows what is going to happen, so plan accordingly I would say.
The commission is still debating all of this so how they can not give us a time line yet.

I haven't said nothing has changed, but for deer and pronghorn nothing has changed yet and we have no idea if or when it will.

Numbers are down, they may never come back up. If you want to hunt, do it now.

You make it sound like all residents hate NRs and we do not by any means.

You should be watching the commission meeting this week , link here I believe: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/about-us/game-and-fish-commission
You can watch every meeting I believe and keep up with what they are discussing. You also had a chance to sign up and speak to the commission I think on the link below.

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
I agree with the above from Wy-Tex , it’s not about nonres being hated, at least not by all lol, I have friends that are nonres and try to hunt as much as they can in Wyoming, Matter of fact I met one on the mountain 12 yrs ago and been in contact ever since, and hopefully if things work out this fall he will bring his wife up for a general elk hunt he applied her for, that being said I think the big 5 should have 90-10 and glad they got that passed, And whatever happens in future we will all have to adjust, not saying if 90/10 for deer elk antelope needs to be priority yet but I know guys lifetime residents that haven’t drawn deer or elk in the areas close by in 30 plus years. Myself 1 deer and 1 elk in 30 plus years which I’ve been perfectly fine with, so if things get changed up in the future that affects my ability to buy OTC general tags ya dang right I would want 90/10 to get put into place. As for now hunt when ya can and enjoy it !!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have hunted in WY 15 times for various critters, all in GEN elk or regional deer areas that are OTC for residents. Other than 6 pts. for antelope, I always applied for a tag that I could draw with minimum pts., and I would guess that a large majority of NRs never do build up enough points to get into most of the limited draws. I will be 70 yrs. old for my WY elk hunt this year, and likely won't ever get enough pts. to go on another bull hunt, but will continue to try for some type 6 cow tags. Will use the antelope pts. when they recover some.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Rich M , no animosity towards you.
Just get involved and make your voice heard with the commission. Thoughtful comments are appreciated but railing against them will not get you any traction.

RICMIC, best of luck to you sir. Hope the bull of a lifetime steps out in front of you this fall.
Rich M, I hope you get that big pronghorn buck. It may be a hard task to find this year but I bet you can get it done if you get your license. This year or next, good luck to you.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Rich M , no animosity towards you.
Just get involved and make your voice heard with the commission. Thoughtful comments are appreciated but railing against them will not get you any traction.

RICMIC, best of luck to you sir. Hope the bull of a lifetime steps out in front of you this fall.
Rich M, I hope you get that big pronghorn buck. It may be a hard task to find this year but I bet you can get it done if you get your license. This year or next, good luck to you.
i dont take it in a negative way, didnt think you meant it like that.

Hopeful for the 2023 hunt. Something nice to look forward to. The night sky and how the stars look out there. Chatting around a campfire with a couple buddies. Sharing in and watching their hunts. Stuff for memories.

Thank you.

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Anyone catch the commission meeting in person or zoom? I was gonna watch it when I got home from work but not finding it yet?