Wyoming Passes 90/10: The Worst Article You’ll Read This Year - by Guy Eastman

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Arguing with you is pointless Buzz because you can't stay on topic. I'll help. Your claim that residents are tired of entitlement attitudes was the topic. There may be a select few that share your point of view but the majority of residents really have no idea.

" Ever increasing chance to draw...". That's not entitlement. That's being sold a bad bill of goods. Nothing you can say will change that.
Right, because you live in Wyoming and talk to residents every day. Many are talking about cutting a deal with outfitters to get 90-10 for deer, elk, and pronghorn.

Kill the messenger and refuse to listen...fine with me.

This is going to be decided by Wyoming residents, well actually it already has been.

Preference points are going to convert to squared bonus points as well. Sure to be another 5 pages of temper tantrums.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Yeah, looks like it’s time to do that and then focus on other states that want my NR money. Maybe not the same thing but wonder if Florida (or anywhere else) would ever make it that difficult for NR to fish here…they wouldn’t because of the tourism $$$ they would lose out on. I guess I will consider myself lucky I won’t be impacted by this.
Focus on other states that also limit you to 10% or less of their tags, with lower total tags available.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Focus on other states that also limit you to 10% or less of their tags, with lower total tags available.

Sounds like a solid plan.
For what I want to do, where I want to hunt, and what game I want to hunt, it is a solid plan, I appreciate your endorsement!

Reactions: BuzzH

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Only way out of this is a sustained increase of game populations without a correlating increase in demand - a major economic recession might make a temporary change in the demand dynamic, but on the whole odds/points/opportunity is not ever going to get better than it is right now.

Elk populations have already exceeded landowner/stakeholder/biological tolerance and carrying capacity in most areas; populations and thus hunting opportunities are not going to grow much beyond current levels. Mule deer have been in decline for 3 decades in every western state with no definitive answer as to why, with no solution how to reverse on a large scale other than pray for rain. The vast majority of public antelope opportunity is in Wyoming and they’re ready to wave the finger at NR’s. The sky is not falling and there will still be hunting opportunity for NR’s, but it will be less and will continue to decrease at an increasing rate.

I’m no expert, but it seems to me large private land holdings with the ability to manage wildlife for a profit motive (i.e. like Texas) is the only way supply will ever increase beyond what it is today, at least for D/E/A. I am sure that thought/notion would likely make most diy hunter’s heads explode.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Arguing with you is pointless Buzz because you can't stay on topic. I'll help. Your claim that residents are tired of entitlement attitudes was the topic. There may be a select few that share your point of view but the majority of residents really have no idea.

" Ever increasing chance to draw...". That's not entitlement. That's being sold a bad bill of goods. Nothing you can say will change that.
Are you on Facebook? There are thousands of residents and NR on hunting pages that are talking about this. I follow 4 or 5 of them and the foulness and rhetoric has been pissing off residents for a while. I can honestly say, if the outfitters go after a set-aside, there won't be many residents oppose unless in some way it would affect resident tags. With that, I doubt it would happen.

I will say again, I don't see a recommendation for 90/10 DEA coming from the task force.

Reactions: Hilltop

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I an sure glad I hunted Wyoming in the "good" days in the past 45 years. I don't have any points for the Big 5, but do for deer and antelope. If Wyoming goes to a 90/10 tag allocation for deer, elk and antelope, I may never get to hunt there again. I am 80 years old now and guess I will benefit some if Colorado makes some similar changes.

What really bothers me is that the politicians don't seem to care what their legislation does to the wildlife departments. As pointed out, if changes to the rest of the big game tag structure like what happened to the "big 5", the resident hunters will surely have to pony up lots more money to keep the F & G solvent as I am sure the legislature won't raise taxes to do it.

As far as my home state of Colorado goes, they will be in a world of hurt if they do away with OTC tags. Our Parks & Wildlife Department is what the state call an "enterprise" operation. It is totally self funded and gets no state funding.
Same here-thankfully I hunted Wyoming many times since the early Nineties and I just retired last year. You and I and others can still enjoy "some" opportunities while we are here. Life is changing for many hunters and our younger generation will be affected more then anyone.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Same here-thankfully I hunted Wyoming many times since the early Nineties and I just retired last year. You and I and others can still enjoy "some" opportunities while we are here. Life is changing for many hunters and our younger generation will be affected more then anyone.
thankfully most of them don't have the passion for it we did. they are gonna save a ton of money eating the new meat substitutes. :LOL:

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
One other comment-

Money and Politics drives many more decisions today. It isn't about Hunters and Wildlife. It's positioning and politics for many along with power and control. It happens in many areas of our life and has been happening for a long time.

Reactions: kidoggy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I chuckle when I see the Rs talking about the entitled NR hunters. The Rs I met in WY ion 2017 did not like NRs at all. And I see the trend continues.

The NRs have been playing by the rules and they got changed. Now they are entitled. LOL!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
what it comes down to in the end is, don't like the rules, don't visit the state!

I doubt anyone is going to lose a wink of sleep over it.

far as I am concerned what happens in Idaho stays in Idaho and what happens in other states stays in those other states.

they got nothing I need AND if I got something others need, I get to set the rules.

same goes for whatever other state we may be talking about at any given time.

this is the fundamental reason why we even have states

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I don't care what state you are from it will always be the same story. All the good tags are going to the non residents and the residents can't draw any of them.

What the resident hunters don't look at are the odds that the nonresidents have to draw those tags and just how little their odds are going to go up if you remove all of the nonresident tags for a animal.

It will never happen but it would be interesting to see what would happen if all of the nonresidents would quit putting in for tags in a state for a couple of years.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I don't care what state you are from it will always be the same story. All the good tags are going to the non residents and the residents can't draw any of them.

What the resident hunters don't look at are the odds that the nonresidents have to draw those tags and just how little their odds are going to go up if you remove all of the nonresident tags for a animal.

It will never happen but it would be interesting to see what would happen if all of the nonresidents would quit putting in for tags in a state for a couple of years.
yes . it would most certainly be interesting.

my guess is ,life would go on

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The price of resident tags would be raised a bunch, maybe double or triple what they are today. If Colorado had no non resident monies, the residential cost of all licenses, tags and parks cost would go out of sight.

I lived in California all of my life until I retired and moved to Colorado in 2000. California has almost no non resident big game hunting and the cost of licenses and tags is a lot higher for residents than the western states that have lost of nonresident hunters.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I use to think after I draw a tag.... I'd reapply for that tag again.... and this doesn't really apply for sheep, goat, moose, but, elk deer, antelope in many western states, I apply for almost all of them, I think after I draw a good tag in a state for say deer, I don't think I'm going to get back in the game at 0 points.

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Convert the existing preference points into a squared bonus point system so at least people have a chance at winning the lottery. What just happened was a bait and switch, there is no doubt about that. Myself and many others have been buying points for a decade or more with hopes of having a chance when 20 or more points are achieved. That is now gone and taken from those who have been contributing to the pocket book for WY wildlife.

I do not disagree that R has priority over NR for tags within their own state, but if you are going to change a system midway through it needs to be fair for all who have been playing the game up to this point. Reduce the available tags for NR, fine do that but at least provide them a chance at drawing the few remaining tags.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Most of us as residents have had the conversation about the costs to us. We will be spending more on tags.

The one caveat I will throw out there is that in terms of Wyoming tourism money, that is closer to a wash than most people will give credit for. For instance, a few years ago my Dad drew a tag that was close enough to a motel that he used it. We ate at restaurants, filled up at gas stations, etc. Whether residents or non residents draw the tags we both spend a LOT of money. If more residents draw it's just coming from people in that state. The one X factor on that is the sight seeing places, those don't get visited by residents as those are done with families regardless.

Reactions: Winchester

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
You really are full of it sometimes Buzz. The majority of hunters in Wyoming aren't on outdoor forums and they have no idea how non residents feel. The only feeling of "entitlement" the vast majority of us have is to get what we were offered. An ever increasing chance to draw the permits we have been buying points for. I don't think that's too much to ask.
I think you are dead wrong about this Hilltop. Resident hunters know full well about the uproar over 90/10 and NRs feelings about it. Just the "older" crowd that is not on social media and forums talking about this, we residents know what NRs are saying about limiting licenses.

Reactions: Winchester

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I figure I have 3 hunts left to Wyoming elk, deer, and antelope. In the past I have chose to not fill a tag and was fine with that. You can bet on these last three hunts I will not pass on legal animals.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think you are dead wrong about this Hilltop. Resident hunters know full well about the uproar over 90/10 and NRs feelings about it. Just the "older" crowd that is not on social media and forums talking about this, we residents know what NRs are saying about limiting licenses.
I should have stated it differently. It is obvious that non-residents would be upset over 90/10 - all residents know this regardless if they are or aren't on social media. My intention was to point out that residents aren't in an uproar about entitled attitudes. I have family members of all ages residing in Wyoming and talk regularly with quite a few other residents ranging from 18 to 80. I agree that most residents are in favor of 90/10 but it is purely to have more tags & chances to draw, not out of some fabricated stick it to the entitled whiners theme as Buzz suggests. From my experiences, attitudes like his are rare, thankfully.